Author Topic: The Crown's Coterie (Team Bonnie IC)  (Read 11810 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
The Crown's Coterie (Team Bonnie IC)
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »
Guided by signs and whispers from Bonnie herself, you’ve been gathered together in a hill inside Jóia from where you can spot a small village.

Rays of darkness fall from the sky and she appears in the form of a beautiful bat, singing her quest to you. Her verses are elegant and harmonic, and although you’ll struggle to remember her exact words, the meaning behind them are crystal clear to each of you.

In the current chaos of Jóia, a group of powerful vampires has taken the chance to create their own order in the local village of Portimão which you can see from your current position. What kind of order, it’s not clear. Powerful wards have been set in place against outside divination. Bonnie herself has little power over the area and has only heard prayers to her from Portimão, each telling quite different tales. Some are prayers of thanks, speaking of the vampires setting themselves as benevolent tyrants, using their powers to fend off or even dominate the local wandering monsters for the benefit of the local. Others pray for help, telling of cruel rulers managing the local humanoids like cattle to sake their thirst for blood with nobody to keep them in check as the kingdom's forces are too stretched to be able to help them. Some others pray for guidance, unsure about what to do as the vampires pick the strongest locals to join their ranks as spawns and training the others, of rumors of creating an army  make a claim for the crown of Jóia itself. Either way the goddess could not offer answers to the prayers of those in Portimão since as a minor goddess her ability to do so is already limited and the wards in the village further disrupted her ability to do so.  The Dragão Empire, Democracy of Automática and Sultanate of Areia have all already sent some minor scouting forces. Neither was heard of or seen again, but words is that their commanders are not amused for such disappearances and they may send bigger units to crush Portimão with overwhelming force if the situation isn’t clarified somehow soon.

So Bonnie had guided you to the outskirts of Portimão and now bids you to check the situation with your own eyes and ears, and once you’ve done so, in case you can’t contact her, to resolve the situation as best as possible.

Bonnie also claims for this to be a test of your ability to work together for although each of you has great ability, together you may be much greater than the sum of your parts like instruments in an orchesta, and should you succeed you’ll be able to perform even greater deeds in Jóia.

Bonnie's bat remains hovering, singing to you that she can remain a bit more to answer any doubts you may still have about the current quest she bestows on you.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Crown's Coterie (Team Bonnie IC)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »
A lone boy travels down the road to Portimão.

He is dressed quite elegantly for one so young - knee-high boots and pants of the finest leather, undershirt of silk, a coat reaching down to his ankles, a wide brimmed hat that looks almost too large on such a small frame, and a cloak bearing the crest of the Academia de Pesquisa da Deusa Pacificadora (Peacekeeping Goddess Research Academy), the finest learning institution in perhaps all of Jóia.

He casually addresses the bat.

"Ma'am. Do we have any clue how those scouting forces disappeared? Or if they were able to contact their patrons at all?"
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:26:14 PM »
Carnelian can only sigh at the assembled group. So much for avoiding close entanglement with the undead. Not that the circumstances here left much opportunity to do otherwise... who else would Bonnie be able to mostly task with curtailing the new rules that had been assembled? No matter how she wanted to avoid involvement--and by all means, the vampire looks infinitely less prepared for battle than her maid, dressed only in odd but colourful clothing without a weapon in sight--this situation was too similar to her previous modus operandi for her to simply sit out without attracting attention. Find a power vacuum, declare yourself in charge of it, enjoy maybe a few years to decades of rule, get staked. She'd been there, with vague recollections of once keeping a scoreboard of unsuccessful stakings.

Plus, in a kingdom full of out of control monsters, the option to avoid far more of them by staying in the skies was a valuable one and faster travel than walking whilst carrying a coffin.

"Well, the kingdom is full of uncontrolled beasts... which carries a risk these troublemakers may have subjugated a few," the other vampire says, long sleeves hiding her arms even as she rests her head on her hand. "Is there any preference on doing this subtly or violently?"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:15:30 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:27:38 PM »
"Ma'am. Do we have any clue how those scouting forces disappeared? Or if they were able to contact their patrons at all?"

Verses of little information on the subject, although there were some Bonnie worshipers among the scouting forces and she heard some sudden panicked pleas for divine help from them before complete silence, but the minor goddess didn’t receive any of their souls so they would be still alive… Or their souls trapped somehow, maybe even as fresh vampire spawns.

"Is there any preference on doing this subtly or violently?"

Melodies about how if this is all a simple misunderstanding, a subtle solution would be prefered. Melodies about how if there were intentional abuses of mortal-vampire harmony, the culprits should be publically punished somehow, so that all can bear witness to Bonnie’s divine retribution.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:22:56 AM »
Seated on the ground to the side of the group, Decus swayed slightly back & forth to the melodies escaping from the bat as he occasionally took heavy swigs from a heavier bottle. He'd been lured out here at the behest of that muse of his, that devilishly enchanting Bonnie. She'd sung to him of needing his help and it was all he could do to not immediately rush onto the scene in Portimão to try to solve everything for her as swiftly as possible. Instead he had arrived at this hilltop and kept himself in check with many, many drinks as he waited for all to arrive intended to assist his Bonnie.

Folks had begun asking questions now, so it seemed likely a good time to join the party that had formed. Rising unsteadily to his feet, Decus gave a deep bow towards the singing bat before raising his bottle to her. "Hear hear, divine retribution sounds gloriously appropriate for folks taking advantage of that goodwill you so graciously volunteer forth in such an unbiased fashion. That's all I need to prepare, shall we head down and show some muscle?"

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
"Much as I adore to watch the mortals squirm, I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of approach got the previous units annihilated. We're going to end up drawing attention either way; let's save the show of force for when it's most beneficial to us. Then we should make a spectacle of their assorted viscera dangling in the skies like so many chandeliers."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 02:05:56 AM »
"Oh hooo," the angel chuckles towards the young boy's retort. "I like this kid, he's got some zest." Shrugging, and downing another round of his drink, he smirks back at the kid. "Alright, fair 'nuff kiddo. Ya dead folks do love your subtleties something fierce, I'll give ya that. What's ya'll plan?"

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 07:47:26 AM »
"Then we should make a spectacle of their assorted viscera dangling in the skies like so many chandeliers."
A pause.

Then hurried verses clarifying that you really don't need to go that far, some black eyes should be enough, maybe tie them up somewhere in plain view for everybody else to point and laugh. Definitely shouldn't go around splashing blood and guts all over the place. Delicious blood and guts, would be such a waste... Well just make sure Bonnie gets shown as strict and caring but not barbaric.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 08:19:28 AM »
Carnelian cringes at the suggestion of strewing guts around like some sort of bunting. What sort of message is that supposed to send? Especially when dealing with undead? That they like making a mess? "If we need to be subtle, for now we have one advantage... most of us aren't associated with her ladyship or have quite the antagonistic reputation. We may be better off without disguises."

But if that fails, she's pretty good at the whole disguise front, too.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »
"I wasn't being literal, but public humiliation over shock and awe has its appeal, too." The kid chuckles. "While we're at it we should probably introduce ourselves. I'm Hector, and you guys are?"

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »
Offering his drink to the others, he introduces himself. "Decus. Don't mind the rep."

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 07:40:32 PM »
"Melanie. It is a pleasure to meet all of you. Apologies for appearing late, but I was ensuring that the area was secure.
I would definitely agree on a more subtle approach. I find that prey tends to panic more when some of them just disappear without any explanation and panic can be exploited."

There is a Kasha standing right next to the rest of the party as though she was always there and you just didn't notice her.

(click to show/hide)
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 10:32:31 PM »
"I go by Carnelian Blackthorn in this day and age," she says, taking the sudden kasha in stride--people DID have a habit of appearing and disappearing near her, after all, "And this is Nitinol-7. Nitinol should suffice."

"Hello." The redheaded maid's response is curt as she bows slightly to the various members of the group--the sounds of metal on metal and reduced movement giving an idea that the cloth of her uniform hides something much heftier.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
"Right. Now that we are properly acquainted, what say we head out to some nearby seedy neighborhood, bait some thieves and get ourselves a snack?"

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 11:05:01 PM »
Bonnie's bat sings her satisfaction that you're getting along so well and how none of you tried to eat anybody else yet and if there's no more questions she bids you goodbye and good luck,  flying away and disappearing among the stars, leaving you to approach Portimão as you see fit.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 11:12:22 PM »
"As much as a meal will be appealing once we arrive... if we wish to try politics first, perhaps we should all enter together? It's a lovely night for a walk."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
"Agreed. And it's not like we can't grab a snack on the way, much as animal blood is mildly unappetizing."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 05:58:39 PM »
Decus rolls his eyes and groans quietly as they set off on foot towards the town "Bloody vamps always talking about their next meals."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:23:02 PM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »
"Please, Mr. Hector, have some class."

Slowly trudging behind, the maid seemed to occasionally skip over the intervening space to stay caught up. It was a rather odd effect to see.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 07:16:40 AM »
"It would probably be best if we were to confirm the situation before we begin any confrontations anyways."

Melanie will move up to take point unless someone else in the party objects.

(click to show/hide)
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.