Author Topic: Volume One: Number Theory  (Read 49431 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Volume One: Number Theory
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
Whispering to his companions, Leo says, "This... there is something very weird at work here. Something very dangerous. We need to be very careful... Further down, I see... a person. A body, at least, though they're breathing. I can't be sure what's real and what's just a factor of the Sight... I need more information..."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:39:04 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
As Leo looked closer, his field of vision lurched and the figure suddenly seemed close enough to reach out and touch. Between flickers, its face twitched gently, almost as though struggling, and the cobwebs clinging to its form rustled a bit as it shifted its limbs.

Without warning, a bone-white hand smoothly melted out of the air, completely severed at the wrist but not bloodied at all. It gently, almost lovingly caressed the cheek of the figure, and its pathetic struggles faded away, leaving it perfectly still. The hand patted the figure's cheek once, then slipped back into the darkness.

(click to show/hide)
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
Leo might not be passing out from what he's seeing, but he sure wishes he were.  Not willing to give in and call it quits, Leo motions the others to move forward, and steps ahead himself, cautiously, to get a better look at the figure.

Man, I hope whoever owns that hand isn't watching anymore.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »
Leo stepped closer, the world wavering around him. From this close a distance (metaphysically speaking), he could see the whites of the helpless figure's eyes and the rapidly flickering color of their irises. As he peered closer, a fine grid of crystal appeared over its eyes, rapidly spreading out to encase its entire body in a rigid crystal mesh. Miniscule barbs poked out from the mesh, digging into the figure's skin. The entire net pulsed with an unsavory energy, and underneath it the figure's eyes were the only thing to move, eyelids held open into an unnerving stare by the psychic compulsion.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
Lilly sniffles as Leo starts pulling her and Phil along, her grip around both men's arms tightening. Something soft slaps a few times against their upper arms. Soon enough, she tugs the other way, digging her feet into the ground to stop Leo. "Is that about enough yet?" she hisses, "This place is giving me goosebumps. When I said location reading, I meant some kind of divination..."
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »
Leo struggles both to understand what he's seeing, and against Lilly's pull. However, her insistence snaps him back to reality. He focuses for a moment, closing the Sight.

"I... I'm sorry. I  haven't used the sight very much before, and I needed to try and understand what's at work here. It's... well, it's grim, that's for sure... There's definitely someone pulling the strings here, but I can't be sure who it is or why they're doing it. Divination might help us get started, but I don't have everything I need here and I can't very well set up a ritual or anything while we're trying to be sneaky. I might be able to pull up something quick and dirty, but if we want any real information, it's going to take time."

Leo looks at the now fairly mundane subway platform. He tries to find something linked in some way to the station.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
After a bit of searching for an appropriate symbolic link, Leo came up with a piece of gum that had been trampled into a crack in the floor by a great many passers-by. Dirty, hardened, yet still soft enough to hint that it hadn't been there before today.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Kitty shrugs. "Here should be fine... It's easiest to do a spell with the subject right there, no? I'm sure I can keep the workers off for a while. Hmmm..." She taps a finger on her cheek, then grins. "For speed, blood is a good magic reagent, yeah? You can probably skip a lot of preparation if you use some."

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
"It's a very good reagent... Great, in fact, and usually powerful, too. That's why blood magic is so popular in some circles. It's usually used in spells that skirt the Laws of Magic, if not outright breaking them. So, most Wizards tend not to risk it, even if it's a fairly innocent or mundane use. Besides, I've got everything else I should need right here, if I manage to be a bit conservative with my resources. I just wish I had someone here who could help in maintaining consistency in the power of the spell while I prepare and cast the other aspects of it, though." Leo starts rummaging through his backpack to find the equipment he'll need to perform the spell.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2012, 06:37:20 AM »
"Supplying energy shouldn't be a problem I think. What are you going to try with all the energy? Maybe I could jumpstart it a bit."
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2012, 06:44:50 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »
Phil waits for Leo set up the circle while he tries to recall how this sort of collaborative magic works. Its like building a storm, adding power in streams to form a spinning mass. Not all that complicated, if it can be kept in position, it just needs a nice big kick to get the tornado of power to start spinning.

He is just done with this crash course refresher on magic when Leo is done with his rather unfamiliar looking circle. Impatient to get it done with, Phil draws up a whirling mass of storm power and flings it into the formation, straining to keep the lightning leashed, to be turned in on controlling itself rather than outwards. Faint red lines appear on his fingertips as he wrestles the living power into submission.

Eventually, the power settles for spinning invisibly within the circle. "There, I think I got it going the right way."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
Phil grappled with the power he had called up while the air rippled and warped like molten glass around him, little sparks flickering here and there. Eventually, it succumbed to his will, smoothing out and simmering quietly around the edge of the circle. Outwardly, nothing appeared different, but to a practitioner's senses, standing there was like being in the eye of a hurricane, an electric finger on the rim of a wineglass. The effort seemed to have taken a fair bit out of Phil.

(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
Once Phil finishes supplying his portion of the power, Leo takes over, funneling small bursts of power into the spell at a time. He doesn't want to screw it up now, after getting this far. Something big was going on, and he couldn't afford to drop the ball.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Leo gradually pours power into the spell construct, careful not to let it waver or spill. As the very last ebb of energy fills the circle, time itself seems to slow to a crawl. Motes of dust hang in the air, unnaturally still, and a single heartbeat reverberates through Leo's body like the aftershocks of a distant earthquake. Then, abruptly, everything reverses, cascading backwards at incredible speed until the platform is filled with chattering people.

The crowd is enormous, but for whatever reason no one else is coming down the stairs to the platform. All seems entirely normal as they start pouring into a fresh subway car, but as they continue to board, it becomes increasingly apparent that this is subtly wrong. For one, there's no shoving or pushing. At all. Everyone is calmly drifting toward the train and boarding it, talking casually to their companions as they wait their turn, but never having to force their way through the crowd. The platform grows emptier and emptier, and another strange fact becomes apparent: Every single person is getting onto the train. Far more than the cars normally hold; as you watch, one woman placidly lies down and scrunches into a ball under one of the seats, joined shortly by two more people. A tin of sardines, the phrase goes. It's entirely appropriate; there's virtually no space in the cars which isn't occupied by three tightly-packed people.

One by one they squeeze in until there's only one man left on the platform: A short, pudgy fellow with a worn tweed jacket and suspenders, reading the newspaper on a bench nearby. He seems utterly disinterested in the goings-on, peering at the paper through a set of reading glasses balanced precariously on his long nose and chewing at a piece of gum. As the train closes on an impossible mass of travelers and lurches out of sight down the tunnel, he sighs tiredly, sets his paper aside, and stands, ambling over to the stairway. Two pale, severe looking men dressed in pristine mechanic's outfits pass him on the way up, and a flash of white betrays something changing hands. The pudgy man leaves the subway, stepping around a maintenance sign, while the pale men walk down to the edge of the platform, drop down to the rails, and walk leisurely after the departed train, taking care not to step on the electrified rail.

The platform remains empty for quite some time, and gradually you feel time speeding up again, until a mental snap that carries the force of a sonic boom heralds the return of your senses to the mundane world.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »
Kitty watches the results of the spell with rapt attention and is ready to act right after. Not with a plan, mind you. She's more into thinking while she acts. "Well, now we have a lead! Two, even! We should take a look at where those mechanics went off to first; the guy in the suspenders could be anywhere by now. Besides, he won't be hard to find. There can't be all that many of those, who still wears suspenders nowadays? I've got something in mind already." Amidst a torrent of words, she pops up in between the two men and grabs both their arms, pulling on them in the direction of the now empty tunnel.