Author Topic: IC-The Lesser Evil  (Read 44861 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
IC-The Lesser Evil
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
Yurgret lifts the halfling captain from the floor with his powerful jaws. Feeling him struggle helpessly, he envelops him with his fists and  proceeds to slowly crush the captain's bones until the ogre feels like his prey has stoped moving.

The other nearby halflings in the battlefield are clearly shocked by the scene, but their cleric is quick to rally them, rising his holy symbol.

"Slay that unnatural abomination and save the captain! One truth! One Future!"

There's clear magic on the last cleric words, and the halfling cavaliers advance and strike with renewed energy while Yurgret and Tenth feel disfavored when the cleric's unit aproaches. Their little blades definetely bite the ogre harder than before.

Even the nearby goblins seem less motivated in their rain of projectiles,  failing to cause any casualities, but at least none of them run away.

Nearby, Meveri feels the glidewing she's slowly strangling fall uncoscious.

"Can't you see you can't hurt her? Get down here and help me you idiots!"
-screams the halfling officer in the floor, trying to keep the nearby goblins at bay.

The frost-covered glidewing unit obeys at once and land in the forest floor, the mounted halflings quickly dispatching the nearby goblins taking advantage of their descending momentum. Their officer mounts one of the other glidewings while its previous rider changes to another, sharing it with a fellow soldier.

On the other side of the forest, the glidewing unit makes short but devastating assaults on the goblins. Even tough they can't put their full mobility to use, winged dinossaurs with trained halflings are still proving too much for the undisciplined goblins!

Situation
(click to show/hide)

Crunch
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:28:51 PM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: IC-The Lesser Evil
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »
(click to show/hide)

With a near bestial roar, Yurgret clenches his razor sharp jaws down on the unconscious halfling leader's head, smiling savagely at his mounted foes as he steps back into the billowing smoke, his wounds continuing to heal as he utters a single word. "Run."

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:05 AM »
Releasing the frozen carcass of the glidewing, Meveri follows the halfling aerial unit and merely touches the glidewing carrying the two halflings. It suddenly becomes incorporeal, dropping two halflings this time, with a force urging it underground. Her pall of frost continues glazing the units over with ice.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
Tenth sends the following to the Cleric via Telepathy: "You will pay for that intrusion."

Irritated that the Cleric was able to affect his mind, Tenth converts his frustration into a psychic assault of the Cleric's mind.  Taking a moment to gather the necessary focus, he unleashes a bolt of energy meant to drain the Cleric's power.  Tenth aims to remove the best thing the Cleric has to contribute to the fight: his spells.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »
Finally, like a volcanic burst, Rao erupts from the earth. Barely taking the breathe, the dragon's molten jaw hinges open and spews forth a white wind of wreckage and carnage that tears through the line of goblins, into the cavalier troops.

(click to show/hide)
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:26:26 AM »
Yurgret chops the head of the captain before spiting it out and steping back in the smoke. He can still see the terrified faces on the halfling soldiers, but the cleric shows no signs of fear.

Meveri once again skullfully singles out her target in the mid of the glidewing unit, and then two halflings and one glidewing fall to the ground. The dinossaur keeps falling, disapearing from view for a moment, before suddenly poping out with its wings twisted in strange angles. It still seems to be breathing in pain, but clearly in no condition to do much else.

Tenth also tries his luck at sniping the cleric inside the cavalier unit, but he quickly discovers that doing so at range is considerably harder. Another halfling quickly throws himself in the path of the negative ray, taking it himself and leaving the cleric unschated.

Then Rao emerges from the ground and unleashes his destructive breath, tearing a line trough the goblins and vegetation, before  it completely obliterates the cavalier unit closest to the dragon. The disintregating beam keeps pushing forward towards the other halfling group, but the cleric leading them manages to quickly issue orders fast enough for most of them to quickly get out of the way.  They still lose some members, and then quickly reform over the wreckage and dust left by the dragon's attack.

The goblins keep pouring their arrows, altough their aim is now even worst due to the cleric's prayer, and don't end up doing much damage besides some flesh wounds.

The glidewing unit in the right tries to advance as fast as possible towards Rao's position, taking diving blows at the goblins beneath them.

The grounded leader of the halfling unit swings his sword at Meveri, which feels some tingles but isn't hurt. The weapon seems to be magic, but luckily not specialized in harming uncorporeal targets. The other grounded halfling and the remaining glidewing unit work on cuting trough the nearby goblins, even as they're slowly covered in frost.

"Pursue the abomination! Seal its fate!"-orders the cleric to its battered unit as they step trough the vegetation towards Yurgret as he raises his symbol, which glows with light once again, that spreads all over its companions. The halflings then strike with even more strenght than before!

Situation
(click to show/hide)

Crunch
(click to show/hide)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
Meveri floats up above the group she is harrassing, looking only briefly toward her allies battling the cleric. <<Do you want me to come put a stop to the priest's spells? I'm sure you've got things under control already, though, right?>>

For the meantime, Meveri continues chilling the group of halflings that she is hovering silently over, occasionally reaching down through one unit's body or another, literally chilling them to their very core.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
Hmph.  Tenth grunts with disgust.  The mindless followers were willing to throw themselves into harm's way to protect their masters.  It would be touching if it weren't futile.  The captain's fate proved that.  Defeating the Cleric would require a different plan.  Tactics would have to be amended.  Strategies improved upon.  Every moment fought provides more information which leads to their eventual destruction.

The frost woman's comment stung upon reception.  One does not make it far in the legion without a certain level of efficacy.  Still, abilities should be utilized in the most efficient manner.  Pride should not precede victory.  One last attempt to defeat the Cleric and then defer to her.  <If this next attack does not remove the Cleric from battle, keeping him silent would be most appreciated.>

With that, the time has arrived to strike.  This time a more direct approach will be utilized.  Stretching his wings, Tenth dives at the Cleric; poison dripping from his tail in anticipation of the strike.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)

With a mighty roar, Yurgret leaps back into the fray, focusing his attention on the meddlesome cleric before the others, swinging recklessly with his mighty limbs in a clear attempt to either knock his foes from their mounts, or burst their little bodies like struck melons.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »
As Meveri keeps freezing down the glidewing unit, Yurgret stops holding back and unleashes his full might on the cavalier unit in front of him, seeking to hit  the cleric leading them. His first arm manages to land a nasty blow on the cleric, that however holds  on his mount as the surrounding halflings are quick to step in front to block the ogre's following blows. And just as quickly they're smashed into a bloody pulp. When the ogre finishes, the cleric basically stands alone surrounded by dead and heavily wounded cavaliers.

"No matter the outcome today"-starts the holy halfling-"Your fate is sealed. More of the Order will come. You'll all be cleansed and"

Then Tenth swoops in and stings him, interrupting his speech.

"One Way... One Future..."-lets out the cleric before falling uncoscious over his companion's bodies.

Both cavalier units and the main leaders down, the wind riders seem to start to falter. Even with Meveri messing up their speeches, the emerging panic in the eyes of the halflings makes them act as one, and they start a messy retreat trough the forest path they had came from, as the goblins cry in glee and rain arrows at their backs.

The wind riders don't run however.  Just as they're trying to find a passage trough the tree canopy, a massive web cuts their retreat  and is followed by a quick rain of javelins and arrows at point blank. Those came from the Goblin Warchief and his top warriors and shamans, that finally decided to make his appearance.  You can't stop geting the sensation the Warchief just let you do the hard work and then showing up to mop up. At least he seems to have done a good job of it, as all the wind riders have been neutralized or killed.

Combat is over, and the goblins cheer as they swarm the halfling bodies and wounded, starting to strip them of any shiny valuables they can see.

(click to show/hide)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
Yurgret picks up the halfling leader's corpse, strips it, and begins devouring it, bones and all. "Let the goblins celebrate, this is only the beginning," he thinks, as he consumes the essence of his powerful foe.

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
Watching the routed Halflings flee, Tenth allowed himself a moment of pride.  His plan had been planted, grown, and borne fruit. 
The goblins had proven to be useful, despite their leader's aversion to combat.  Master should be pleased.  The Order has seen two defeats this day, and will soon see more.  Their city is not as well defended as it was a single cycle of the sun ago.

Tenth looked forward to enjoying the taste of the new meme they created.  The idea implanted in the Halflings that monsters have been able to defeat them not once but twice in the same day.  As soon as a single survivor reaches their city, the idea will spread like poison.  Some should find their faith challenged, despite the rigorous conditioning imposed by the Order.  No matter.  It will surely be delicious.

Coming to his senses, and before the greedy little Goblins have a chance to claim his prize, Tenth changes his form to a Troll and slings the unconscious Cleric over one shoulder.  Steeling himself against an intense instinctive fear of fire, and with the smoke threatening to overwhelm his increased sense of smell, he retreats to an open space away from the burning forest.  He then drains the Cleric's memories dry, and consumes them all in a glorious feast.

After enjoying his meal, Tenth will strip the Cleric of all equipment and store them for future use.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
Rao, in typical form, ignores the fire and transforms back into a young boy. This boy promptly walks over to a few corpses, drags them to a log he can sit on, and proceeds to tear apart, torch, and devour them. The only tidy thing about it is how he neatly lays the clothing, arms, armor, and items in neat piles, glaring at any goblins that approach him.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »
Meveri drops a frozen halfling that she had grabbed as it tried to escape. Drained of all bodily heat, the body falls as a lifeless corpse, a limb breaking off as it hits the ground. She then glides over the battlefield, attempting to take stock of any items of note being stripped off the bodies of their enemies.

Meveri idly tosses out a thought to her monstrous peers. <<Now that this battle is won, how long until we double back and take on the Halflings' settlement?>>

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »
With his wounds knitting rapidly, Yurgret looks up from his meal, "In a few minutes, I will be ready to continue. Perhaps it would be best to leave our 'minions' here. No sense sacrificing a perfectly usable tool against city walls."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
As Meveri oversees the battlefield, she can see some heated discussions erupting over what are clearly magic items, striped from the cold bodies of the halfling officers. The smartest goblins seem to have identified them pretty quickly and explain their abilities to anyone willing to hear.

(click to show/hide)

Otherwise there's plenty of mundane armor and weapons to go around, plus some coins, jewels and the pretty silver amulet of the cleric, but none of those seem to have magic of any kind. The

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:16:57 AM »
Rao eyes the coin and jewels, and seems to glare down some goblins around them. Though he seems to be able to care less about the magic items; he had a fine cloak, and he was never one for weapons. "As soon as we are healed and ready, let's just clamor underneath the city and burn it out from the center."

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »
Meveri eyes the plundered goods briefly, but finds little use for any of it. She leaves it for the others to pick at.

At Rao's suggestion, Meveri responds somewhat directly, though still sends the telepathic message to all of her team members as part of the conversation.
<<There are better ways of destroying the city. Strike them first where it will be hardest to recover, and the rest will crumble.>>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:42:22 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
"Whatever passes for their castle or temple, then."

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
Having dragged the Cleric away from the main group to feed, Tenth places the Cleric's possessions in his handy haversack.  Trophies were an unusual habit, but the memories of his victims have passed on a certain familiarity with the items and attachment is common.  They are useful when disguising himself, and helpful besides.

Upon receiving Meveri's communication, Tenth responds with one of his own: <I am in agreement.  The temple is the most effective target if we desire to strike fear and doubt into their minds as we attack.  An approach from below will add the element of surprise, and also circumvent their defenses.>

Having shed his Scout disguise, and concluding that the wound inflicted to enhance the effect is no longer required, Tenth decides to utilize his healing belt to close the wound.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)