Author Topic: Imperious Command and Zhentarim Fighter's Extended Intimidation  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
Imperious Command makes an intimidated target cowered for 1 round a shaken for the next round, Extended Intimidation from Zhentarim Fighter makes the intimidation on the target for 24 hours. So what's the condition from Imperious Command that last for 24 hours cowered or shaken and why? I believe it's cowered because it's the first condition applied so thanks to extended intimidation it doesn't wear off but it's my interpratation since i haven't found a specific ruling about it.
Thanks
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Imperious Command and Zhentarim Fighter's Extended Intimidation
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
A Zhentarim Fighter with Imperious Command can use Demoralize to make his opponent Cowering for one round then Shakened for the next 24 hours. What you're looking for is the Zhentarim's Swift Demoralization. It allows the Fighter to remake an Intimidate Check every round without interrupting his attack & movement.

Offline Ryshin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
A Zhentarim Fighter with Imperious Command can use Demoralize to make his opponent Cowering for one round then Shakened for the next 24 hours. What you're looking for is the Zhentarim's Swift Demoralization. It allows the Fighter to remake an Intimidate Check every round without interrupting his attack & movement.
I know about swift demoralization but you can't demoralize the same target twice with an intimidate check, to escalete the status from shaken to feared to panicked and cowered you need another source of demoralization so my question stll stands, does extended intimidation make cowered or shaken last for 24h and why? I know you wrote shaken i wanna know why.
At level 11 i'm gonna have Fearsome Fury  from Champion of Gwynharwyf so extended intimidation won't matter anymore but it's a long way to level 11.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 07:35:02 PM »
It's a little hard to deal with quotes and copypasta on my phone but Extended Demoralization leaves them Shakened. Since Fear stacks, you spend your Swift Action every round aftet that locking then into the next stage (frightened). I have no idea who told you Cowering is a 4th stage of Fear or that the Fighter can do it without other additions.

As for the why? Extended Demoralization extends Intimidate's effect and people have pointed out Demoralize is a usage of Intimidate then applied the appeal that the Fighter needs shiny things. After all, you did pick up nine levels of suck to accomplish something a magic item does as a Free Action.

Irregardless, it does not allow you to cherry picked aspects of Imperious Command. They both essentially modify Demoralize, not each other.

Offline Ryshin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
I know that fear stacks but i always thought it must be from different sources so i can't demoralize by intimidation checks the same target or can i?
Like 1 stack from intimidation check, 1 from fear spell and 1 from dreadful wrath feat for example but i can't stun lock a target by making intimidation checks (plus imperious command) every round with swift demoralization right?

What's the item you're talking about?
It can be useful before swift demoralization but i need fighter levels for bonus feats anyway, need those to qualify for slashing flurry

Thanks

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
I know that fear stacks but i always thought it must be from different sources so i can't demoralize by intimidation checks the same target or can i?
When you spam Imperious Command to Demoralize it applies a "higher" effect even if it didn't stack.

Now if you didn't have Swift Demoralize, Intimidate effect would just be Shaken off your effect and yes WotC has generally used same source = nonstacking even through it's a spell-based rule. This is why you stack it with something else like the Dreadful WrathPGtF and Frightful PresenceDraco and Mortifying AttackFR:CoR Feats, Grafts like Frightful CrestRotD, various Spells through Blade of Fear & PainLM/SpC probably deserves a mention, and Class Features that reduce Saves improving the effectiveness as well as the overall total debuff effect like a Paladin of Tyranny's Aura of DespairUA, a Bound Focalor's Aura of SadnessToM, or a Hexblade's Dark CompanionPHB. Through a lessen known bonus is the Thayan SlaverFR:UA which for a two level dip can deal 1 Wisdom Damage with each usage of Intimidate.

Offline Jasmine

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:47:41 PM »
Extended Intimidation does not apply to demoralize checks at all. It applies to the usage of the skill to make the target act as friendly for the purpose of actions taken while it is intimidated by you, which normally lasts while the target is in your presence and for 1d6x10 minutes afterwards. From the text: "Instead of ending when the Zhentarim Soldier leaves, as is normal for the Intimidate skill, the intimidation effect lasts for 24 hours after his departure."