Author Topic: Chapter 3: Chaos Reigns  (Read 130122 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 3: Chaos Reigns
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »
Eric leads the way into the room. He stands there wearing a somewhat worn buff coat over his tattered but serviceable clothes. He stands at average height. His long brown hair is pulled back into a pony tail, and it looks as though he hasn't taken time to properly comb it in a few days. His stubble almost blends in with his side burns.

"John, I'm glad to see you're doing better. Do you need more food or water? I have both."

Eric finds a seat about two arm's lengths away from John.

"It's safe here. Please, if you feel comfortable, tell us what you can about what happened to you. Don't rush yourself, and tell us all the details. Don't worry about us judging you for sounding... insane. There may be more truth to your recollections than you realize."
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
Johnathan extended his hand to shake his newfound allies.  So, all of these people knew things?  He silently pondered if he would have anything of use for them; perhaps he had only a taste or his doubts about being some mad hallucination were true and his information was faulty.  No matter, he had to press on.  "Its good to meet you.  Whitechapel, pleased to meet you."  He cleared his throat and sat down, putting away his diary.

"I'm a engineer, from Mabell.  It's in Maine, but when I left Mabell for help due to the events within I was told that no such town exists.  I've visited several towns actually before I ended up on that god forsaken dingy, and I was treated as mad everywhere I met.  It was enough to make a man silence himself about such things.  But I had no rest in other towns, for I was being pursued by... something dreadful, I dare not call them human anymore.  And yet the most frustrating part of all my story comes here and concerning my troubled mind, for I scarcely can draw a clear picture.  Every time I get clarity on the subject it seems altered from how I last remembered it.  I had kept to writing it down, but not everything.  It's was over a month of this insanity..."  That doesn't seem right since the events have only been a few weeks.  Either his sense of time is askew or his actual time was askew.  He drew in closer whispering for a moment as if they could hear them.  "I got the impression that some of the things I drew attracted them to me.  They'd always interrupt me when I was trying to make sense of things and only seemed to lose my scent when I was weary and addled.  I'd imagine they were playing with me like a mouser with its meal."

He made a face of disgust for a moment.  "I digress.  Mabell.  I worked there, and I can't give you a clear picture but things that keep repeating are strangers coming to town, and myself constructing.... something.  And then I went to church.  And then... then... the townsfolk weren't the townsfolk anymore and all the stuff there had been replaced, except me I'm certain.  And I'm certain they knew because they turned on me, and released these ghastly things that hunted me.  I thought they would hunt me here, I admit I tested it while I rested fully expecting to run but this time... "  Silence.  "I've run by land often but never over water, and never this far.  I don't imagine how I managed to survive that long ride surfing only the winds of fortune and storm churned waves.  I may have finally outrun whatever they were.  Or... maybe not." he looked up at you all with a stern expression.  "Because if you believe anything I say, you must have seen something too.  If rumor is true there is a lot wrong with the world.  I honestly don't know what is truth and what is hearsay, but right now I'd be damned if I didn't try to find out exactly what pit I've dug myself into."

"The things you know.  Please tell me, I have to know where to go next."
Mudada.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
"There's nowhere really to go, per se. There is something living in the town currently, among us. Hidden in the shadows, preying on lone, unsuspecting victims at night. It is retaliating because we recently killed a den of its progeny. We are currently trying to figure out a way to deal with it. Sadly, I do not think this thing is the same that was chasing you, as it's been here longer than you.

I'll give you a brief explanation of what is going on. It's not something I really understand, myself, but I've grown to accept based on what I've seen.

There are things from beyond this world. Things that should not be. There exists a form of... magic, if you want to call it that, that allows this world and that to connect. From my understanding, General Washington grew desperate and unleashed some terrible forces in hopes of destroying or routing the British.

He got more than he bargained for, and for some time, a portal remained open between the worlds, and some... things came in.

Right now, we're doing mostly damage control and reconnaissance. We are trying to learn the nature of the threats, how to best deal with them, and in the mean time, how to best keep everyone safe and from panicking. So, as frustrating as it must be to have everyone think you insane, it's best to keep what you know mostly to yourself. Also, when you are feeling well enough to move about, do not venture around in town or out by yourself. Especially at night.

The man who taught us all of these things has gone missing as of late. We are not sure where he is, and he's been gone long enough that I am worried for him. For now, we're likely going to have to pick up the pieces and move along as best as we can."
My creations

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
"Something walks amongst us even now?"  There was no rest for him.  Were these the same things?  Perhaps not, and the news of that sunk his heart to hear.  To think these things came in more shapes and were so wide spread.  "Washington... what have you done?" he muttered, holding his head in deep thought.  Though it stopped though blasted redcoats, this was simply too much.

"The things which hunt in this town.  What are they?  I've decided." he furrowed his brow, "I can't keep running from this, I'll never escape.  I don't know if it relates but I need to know what I'm facing."  It was admittedly some false bravado but it was the best choice.

"And plus you say the missing man knows things?  If he still lives he might know about my situation.  Let me help you find this man."
Mudada.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2014, 09:34:52 AM »
"When young, the things look sort of like spiders. We killed a whole den of them. When they get larger, they are nearly the same size as a man. They have the ability to skin their victims and to wear the skins to get close to people. They don't mimic us perfectly, but they do so well enough to get people to let their guard down.

From what I understand, the older ones are able to use something that's probably easiest to call 'magic'. I don't know what all they can do. Jones and a handful of other people know a bit of this sort of stuff and a bit about defenses. I tried looking at their strange eldritch books and couldn't make heads or tales of it. I was left with a headache and a nose bleed.

These creatures currently are being referred to as "the aranea". The one that is in this town is here because we killed its children, yet it does not know who we are. It is lurking in the shadows, killing lone travelers at night. So, again, I'll stress that we are not to travel alone at night.

Yes, I'm hoping we can find Jones. The sooner, the better."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
the natives have been whispering among themselves while you chat.

"We need to talk to someone in power."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »
Eric looks to Robert: "I'm not even sure who's really 'in power'. Someone from the council?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
"One that you trust, who is informed.  We will need to bring this man so he can repeat what he has seen.  If an entire town has been taken that is a major concern, particularly if no one remembers it."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »
Eric asks Robert: "Since you've been with the group longer than I, is there anyone you trust more than the others? I don't really know any of the councilmen. I've only gone through Jones, in the past."
My creations

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
Robert considers for a few moments. "My employer, Mr. Peebles. He'd know who better to go to, if nothing else."
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
"Well, then. Shall we? We'll have to be discreet leaving so the locals don't pitch a fit about the natives."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2014, 03:59:18 AM »
Eventually a time is made to leave and Mr. Peebles is reached.

"Well normally I'd say Franklin, but he's gone missing.  Matlack is a good man but primarily concerned with the war.  Young is still recovering from a savage attack on his person at the hands of the British.  Cannon is descending into fanaticism and is hardly much seen.  That leaves you with George Bryan.  He is in poor health at the moment, but if you need something done either he or Matlack are your best options."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
Eric talks to Robert: "I do not know either of these men. Is there one you'd prefer to talk to?"

He addresses the natives: "Do you recognize either of their names? If so, do you have a preference?"
My creations

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »
"Bryan. Matlack will have his hands full already, I suspect. I only hope that his condition does not stem from our current problems."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2014, 06:26:48 PM »
"Me too. Have you met him before? I've met him once. Do you have any more experience with him?"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:31:08 AM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:52 AM »
ooc: Bryan is the councilman you spoke to the day before when the natives appeared

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »
Ooc: oops. Modified my question.
My creations

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »
"I've been in a meeting or two with the man, but never spoken to him personally before yesterday. Still, he seems sensible enough that I'd call him our best option."

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »
ooc: you three off to see the wizard then?

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2014, 01:49:49 AM »
OOC: Dibs on the Tin Man!