Author Topic: Ordinary Magician base class and Love-Coloured Magic school DA ZE!  (Read 46451 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Ordinary Magician base class and Love-Coloured Magic school DA ZE!
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Yes, but which is easier to get: DC boosts and immunities (hello, Mindblank) or 50% piercing for ANYTHING? The antigod things are only equal because you'd be facing a 20HD or above guy, with all the removed limits that entails.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »
Very well, replaced the increased DCs with 100% immunity piercing against specific enemies.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:19 AM »
Awesome. Now it's a choice between focused preparation and expecting a ton of different things. :D

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »
Magic Sign "Milky Way"
Love-Coloured Magic (Stance)
Level: Ordinary Magician 1
Initiation Action: Swift action
Target: you.
Duration: Stance
DC: 11+Int mod.

The stars in the sky guide even the deities lives.

When you prepare/recover spells, for every 2 ranks you have in Spellcraft you can choose to bond this stance to a single spell you prepare that deals HP damage 1 level lower than the max spell level you can prepare.
Until you prepare/recover spells again, you can cast that spell whitout expending a spell slot, including for Love-Coloured Magic maneuvers, as long as you're in this Stance.
If it had a duration other than instantaneous, change it to 1 round. Its save DC becomes the same as this Stance, unless channeled trough a higher-level maneuver.

Thoughts:
1.  There are ways to add damage to any spell, letting you cast any spell at will.  I would specify that these don't work.
2.  There is a feat that will let you take a stance.  This becomes a must-have for any wizard, sorcerer, etc.  I would require that you know 3 maneuvers before you can learn a stance, making it a more expensive investment.

Best,
David

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 05:10:21 AM »
I don't agree with the assessment of two, that it'd become essential.

Os: the wording restricts you to using a spell exactly one level lower than your max. No sticking with fireball at level 9, for instance.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I would also heavily disagree with #2. Doing something like that would be silly. Not even the ToB puts a number of maneuvers known requirement on 1st level stances. The feat that grants a Stance as well requires that you already know at least 1 maneuver from the school you are picking a stance from anyways. So the wizard/sorc that deems this is a must have already has to burn two feats just to get the Stance if it can't just pick up the Ordinary Magician base class instead.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
Added clause that the spells to be bonded must deal damage on their own without the use of any feat or class ability, and another clause that they can't be affected by metamagic neither.

And with this, I agree that point nÂș2 shouldn't be much of an issue. Regular casters are quite starved for feats already.

Note to self: this needs more feats. And moar Marisa pics. And moar Marisa quotes.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
So are Sealed maneuvers expended after you use them?
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 01:42:58 AM »
Ordinary Magicians prefer to go all out. Whenever she casts a spell (including spells cast trough Love-Colored Magic), she may recover an expended maneuver of an higher level.

Some of the text could probably be double checked to make sure the sentences are not only complete, but make sense  :lmao

Also, does this still not have feats?  :(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:17:10 AM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
No, you can keep spamming them. Actually, that may not be that good of an idea, but I don't want them to be one-shot either.

Ordinary Magicians prefer to go all out. Whenever she casts a spell (including spells cast trough Love-Colored Magic), she may recover an expended maneuver of an higher level.

Some of the text could probably be double checked to make sure the sentences are not only complete, but make sense  :lmao
Eeerr, it still makes perfect sense to me. Spells have levels. Maneuvers have levels. Cast a spell, recover an expended maneuver of an higher level. What is exactly missing? :???

Also, does this still not have feats?  :(
My brain's kinda on vacation right now. Creating new proper homebrew demands attention to detail and whatnot. Not exactly on the mood for that. Campaign is delayed for the same reason.

On somewhat related news, I've published my first work on fanfiction.net for the, and it is a Touhou crossover where I let a bunch of random story plots that had spawned on my head and were screaming to get out but I couldn't put them on a D&D campaign run wild for the lulz and english writing training.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
No, you can keep spamming them. Actually, that may not be that good of an idea, but I don't want them to be one-shot either.

Well sense you have access to all your sealed maneuvers after expending your regular maneuvers, maybe just make them only usable for a certain number of rounds after your maneuvers are expended?

Maybe a flat 3 rounds? Or maybe Int Mod in rounds?

That way they wont be expended after one use but still have a use limit.
A+

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »
Eeerr, it still makes perfect sense to me. Spells have levels. Maneuvers have levels. Cast a spell, recover an expended maneuver of an higher level. What is exactly missing? :???

Ooooh, it suddenly clicked for me after seeing you didn't say "of an higher level" on accident.
Grammar yo, it makes stuff confusing and the "an higher level" was made to totally sound like words were missing.

"of a higher level". ;)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
Fixed typo, added feats, clarified sealed maneuvers. They can be used only once before recharging by default, but the feats increase that.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
The Witche's Ball

Fix a typo, make a typo. :p

Casket of Stars: BEHOLD MY LUMINSCENCE. XD

you can use the Spellcraft skill as if it was the Tumble skill, whetever you're walking or flying

I think you mean whether.

But you can only sub spellcraft for tumble whilst holding a broom and on the same turn you cast the spell? Isn't that a turn you're less likely to be moving in? That is, the other benefits last until the end of your next turn, the tumbling doesn't. So you need to move after casting to benefit from not needing to Tumble, so...

Benefit: While on a Love-Colored Magic Stance, you can combine Scrolls, Wands or Staves for your Love-Colored Magic maneuvers that demand the casting of spells. There is a 50% chance the scrolls aren't destroyed and the wands don't lose charges if used this way, but this only works if the spell being replicated by the item satisfies the usual requirements for such maneuvers.

Is this 'I can combine multiple items into one', or 'I can use magic items for spellcasting rather than spell slots'?

Selene's Light looks ENORMOUSLY powerful, since you're going to shake off most debuffs that way with little cost.

Himorogi, Burn in Violet-Once per round when you deal damage to an opponent, you can roll a Spellcraft check as a free action and compare it to their CR. The following benefit happens depending on the result:

Do you mean SR? CR would be trivial to meet; in most cases you're going to be getting well above the target before you even roll. :huh

Wide Master-When you cast a spell you may roll a spellcraft check as a free action. Its range increases by 10 feet and any area radius increases by 5 feet for each 5 points you beat a DC of 10.

... I have trouble thinking of scenarios where you'd actively want to increase the range or radius of spell in favour of picking the other options.

Machine Gun Spark-When you cast a spell trough a Love-Colored maneuver, you can cast it twice by lowering the DC, CL and IL by 3 and also counting as if having less 3 ranks in Spellcraft.

So I get to cast two spells +  maneuver by taking a small hit to the stats, as one action? This + Selene's Light is looking like the best combo; you get to shake off debuffs and the effects of a three-level-lower casting doubled is almost certainly going to be better. Two saves that need to be made, just shy of doubled damage, affecting multiple targets...

Steal the Precious Thing-You must have used one of the above options on the last round and your opponent to have failed at least one save against one of your Love-Colored maneuvers and be adjacent to your target. As a standard action roll a Spellcraft check opposed by the target's best skill check, them taking a penalty of -5 for each 10% of their max HP they have missing. You take a possession from them of your choice that will allow you to replicate  one spell, SLA or supernatural maneuver of a level no higher than you can can use that your knew your victim knew, after which the item works as normal. You must still pay any extra gold and/or exp costs if they would normally be required (even if it was a SLA). Your victim cannot use that spell/maneuver again for 24 hours, and you cannot carry more than one "charged" precious thing at a time, you must previously spend them or store them in a safe static house. Well, you could carry more than one charged at a time, but you still have some principles as a magician damnit!

Stealing enemy lingerie, go.

Aria of Forbidden Magic

Excellent; mixing Doll Judgement is no longer a terrible idea because of doll requirements. Also, best teamup is go.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
... I have trouble thinking of scenarios where you'd actively want to increase the range or radius of spell in favour of picking the other options.

I can think of a lot of scenarios where I'd need bigger guns :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »

I can think of a lot of scenarios where I'd need bigger guns :D

Spell range is generally enormous anyway, spell radius seems more likely to be something you'd only want bigger in a very few scenarios you can't predict in advance--whilst wanting it smaller is more likely because of friendly fire.

And compare the possible need for extra range and explosion size to the other options.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »
Who worries about friendly fire? It's not YOUR job to make sure everybody is keeping up with Reflex saves and remembered to grab a can of Evasion before breakfast :p

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
The Witche's Ball

Fix a typo, make a typo. :p

Casket of Stars: BEHOLD MY LUMINSCENCE. XD
Fixed typo.

you can use the Spellcraft skill as if it was the Tumble skill, whetever you're walking or flying

I think you mean whether.

But you can only sub spellcraft for tumble whilst holding a broom and on the same turn you cast the spell? Isn't that a turn you're less likely to be moving in? That is, the other benefits last until the end of your next turn, the tumbling doesn't. So you need to move after casting to benefit from not needing to Tumble, so...
Changed so that spells from last round still grant the tumble benefit.

Benefit: While on a Love-Colored Magic Stance, you can combine Scrolls, Wands or Staves for your Love-Colored Magic maneuvers that demand the casting of spells. There is a 50% chance the scrolls aren't destroyed and the wands don't lose charges if used this way, but this only works if the spell being replicated by the item satisfies the usual requirements for such maneuvers.

Is this 'I can combine multiple items into one', or 'I can use magic items for spellcasting rather than spell slots'?
Use, clarified.

Selene's Light looks ENORMOUSLY powerful, since you're going to shake off most debuffs that way with little cost.
Well, it doesn't protect you from Either Ex stuff or non-maneuver Su abilities.

Himorogi, Burn in Violet-Once per round when you deal damage to an opponent, you can roll a Spellcraft check as a free action and compare it to their CR. The following benefit happens depending on the result:

Do you mean SR? CR would be trivial to meet; in most cases you're going to be getting well above the target before you even roll. :huh
Increased the amount you need to beat the DCs to get the extra stuff.

Wide Master-When you cast a spell you may roll a spellcraft check as a free action. Its range increases by 10 feet and any area radius increases by 5 feet for each 5 points you beat a DC of 10.

Sometimes you just want to nuke that mountain instead of exploring it. :p

Changed the feat so that the non-picked options can still be used 1/day each, also you're not forced to use max radius from the result.

Machine Gun Spark-When you cast a spell trough a Love-Colored maneuver, you can cast it twice by lowering the DC, CL and IL by 3 and also counting as if having less 3 ranks in Spellcraft.

So I get to cast two spells +  maneuver by taking a small hit to the stats, as one action? This + Selene's Light is looking like the best combo; you get to shake off debuffs and the effects of a three-level-lower casting doubled is almost certainly going to be better. Two saves that need to be made, just shy of doubled damage, affecting multiple targets...
Increased the penalty to -5.

Steal the Precious Thing-You must have used one of the above options on the last round and your opponent to have failed at least one save against one of your Love-Colored maneuvers and be adjacent to your target. As a standard action roll a Spellcraft check opposed by the target's best skill check, them taking a penalty of -5 for each 10% of their max HP they have missing. You take a possession from them of your choice that will allow you to replicate  one spell, SLA or supernatural maneuver of a level no higher than you can can use that your knew your victim knew, after which the item works as normal. You must still pay any extra gold and/or exp costs if they would normally be required (even if it was a SLA). Your victim cannot use that spell/maneuver again for 24 hours, and you cannot carry more than one "charged" precious thing at a time, you must previously spend them or store them in a safe static house. Well, you could carry more than one charged at a time, but you still have some principles as a magician damnit!

Stealing enemy lingerie, go.
New item idea: spell panties!

Aria of Forbidden Magic

Excellent; mixing Doll Judgement is no longer a terrible idea because of doll requirements. Also, best teamup is go.
I'm still thinkig of a way of fitting Malice Cannon in there.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »
Who worries about friendly fire? It's not YOUR job to make sure everybody is keeping up with Reflex saves and remembered to grab a can of Evasion before breakfast :p

but you'll make my players pout!
A+

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Updated Machine Gun spark to just -3 penalty, but each cast must have different targets/area.