Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate  (Read 123980 times)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »
"Perhaps we should back track to ensure there aren't any more of them..."

As Caerus suggests this, his voice carries even less confidence than usual.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Hoal remained calm and composed as the little armored man let off a little steam.  He successfully refrained from smiling as the tirade passed.  It's almost as if this Gnome is unaware of the risk they are all taking by entering this place.  Walking down here is a death sentence.  It's rare for anyone to come back out alive.  Hoal was just betting on the fact that he could stay in long enough to settle the debt he owed.

Human eyes being what they are, there was no way for Hoal to be able to see the skeletons skulking in the hallway from where they were.  And since the ones with the ability ran off to look ahead, they were left vulnerable.  But arguing that point to the Gnome will only make it worse, so Hoal swallowed his frustration and looked forward to a larger percentage of the loot and getting the hell out of here.

Besides the average-looking weapons and armor, the skeletons had nothing of real value.  Their armor bears a brand of sorts, but the symbol is unfamiliar to Nelio.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
"Perhaps we should back track to ensure there aren't any more of them..."

As Caerus suggests this, his voice carries even less confidence than usual.

"We are not far from the entrance, so unless we missed a secret passageway, the skeletons probably appeared the same way that the snakes did earlier -- out of thin air. Danger is all around us here, best be on yer toes. I say we press forward and challenge this dungeon head on."

From the location where the party turned the skeletons into dust, Nelio heads due south down the hallway. Pausing as he approaches the intersection, Nelio looks down to western corridor to make sure all is clear before continuing south.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
...out of thin air.... right...

Caerus does his best to hide his skepticism.  It's hard enough to argue with the gnome when he's in a good mood.  With a shake of his head, he falls back into formation.

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
Pushing forward in an effort to put the memory of the Halfling's death behind them, the party sets out to the southern corridor.  Not long past the t-intersection, the corridor turns to the right and heads west for about the distance a torch can see before coming to another t-intersection.  This one heads north-south, with the northern passage going a short distance before ending at a closed stone door and the southern passage a similarly short distance before turning left and out of sight.  The sound of falling water can be heard from the southern passage, and a pool of water lies in the corner just as the corridor turns away from you.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »
"I want to see what's behind that stone door to the north, but first, let's take a look around the southern corner to see if we can see where that water is coming from."

Nelio heads south to look around the corner at the source of the falling water sounds.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2013, 01:26:06 AM »
"I want to see what's behind that stone door to the north, but first, let's take a look around the southern corner to see if we can see where that water is coming from."

Nelio heads south to look around the corner at the source of the falling water sounds.

"Not that anyone needs a reminder but ready yur weapons and keep yur wits about ya.  We don't need something else sneaking up us."
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Rounding the corner to his left, it doesn't take long for Nelio to find the source of the water.  In the corner directly ahead of him is a hole in the ceiling, from which the rain of the surface world is dripping down.  There is a small pile of eroded mud, and the water seems to be flowing down it and around the next corner.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
Satisfied with the answer to the apparent source of the water, Nelio turns back around to focus on the stone door. He walks up to the door to for a closer look, checking for markings or locks.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
The heavy stone door is shut and locked.  A single ornately-carved stone keyhole lies in the center of the door.  Nelio can see no apparent devices or magical markings.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
"Caerus, can you please take a look at this door. It appears to be locked, do you think you would be able to unlock it?"

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2013, 01:48:21 AM »
"Caerus, can you please take a look at this door. It appears to be locked, do you think you would be able to unlock it?"

"...hmmm... Stone locks harder to deal with than metal, but I think I can do this."

Caerus scans the door for nefarious devices as he reaches into his vest pocket for a set of picks.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »
Caerus is unfamiliar with the particular design, and feels obligated to agree with the Gnome's assessment.  He sees no evidence of mechanical defense.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
...seems to be unguarded.  Right then...

Caerus inserts his picks into the stone keyhole and begins to manipulate the lock.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
It appears that the tumblers inside the door are made of stone as well.  It looks like it will take a great deal of leverage to get them to move without the key.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »
Watching on as Caerus fails his first attempt at opening the lock, Nelio can't help himself from trying to intervene.

"[clears throat]...Caerus, I understand you are a master of many skills, but perhaps you are not as familiar with these types of stone doors. Although I have never attempted lock picking myself, in my studies as a gnome, we learn much of engineering and stone work..." 

At this point, Nelio goes into a 5 minute lecture about stone mechanical tumblers, knobs, and hinges.

"... and that is how Garl Glittergold taught the humble gnome to keep his food locked up from pesky bears."

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
Caerus, being a bit tired of Nelio's act, lets out a burst:

"Where I come from  we feed gnomes to  the bears which solves a myriad of problems for us AND the bears!"

Without a waiting for a retort, Caerus turns back to the door and begins anew.

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »
"Ahhhhhhhhgghhh!!"

Caerus, now visibly frustrated, lets out a cry.  Feeling a bit more calm after the outburst he closes his eyes and refocuses.

Opening them, he methodically goes about picking the lock.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2013, 12:52:14 AM »
During the course of working with the lock, Caerus learned two things.  First, whoever designed this lock was an expert craftsman.  The interior parts, though made of stone, move as clean and as smooth as the finest metalwork contraption.  Second, he needs to find a way to turn two of the larger internal gears simultaneously.  This will take some time and no small amount of frustration, as the tools used for this are not designed for that kind of complexity.  Caerus feels confident he is capable, but it will take a good deal more time.

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2013, 12:01:51 AM »
Caerus straightens up and faces Nelio.

"This is an exceptionally well made contraption.  I beleive I can get it open, but we will lose a good deal of time and anything on the other side will be quite aware of my efforts.  Shall I proceed or would you prefer to find another way around?"