Author Topic: [Discussion] Brute Squad discussion thread  (Read 62019 times)

Offline bobthe6th

• Not sure what to put here...
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion] Brute Squad discussion thread
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »
ogerun also comes with a nice 6/day greater magic weapon:D and mage armor :D...  buddy could you spare a buff?  then Myra can toss his wand and add some cool thing to his bow(thinking about it). 

also, will he have a good craft check?   might drop mundane price to 1/3...  not massively important, but a nice save non the less. 
avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew.  you should PEACH them...
Telekineticist
Razor

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:34 AM »
Um Venn, what awesomeness have you brought us with that avatar?

http://pvponline.com/comic/2012/05/23/the-ties-that-bind

Edit: I also present Yaji Ash'Shuthath [Work in Progress]: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=453618

He looks like a mini Chtulhu  :)

(click to show/hide)

Edit 2: I remember reading somewhere of weapons (some kind of blades) that are attached to tentacles and used by illithids and other tentacled creatures. I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone remember something like that or a homebrew alternative? There is an illustration of them in the equipment cover in Savage Species, but they are not included in the equipment list.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:45:18 AM by samnemath »

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
Quote from: VennDygrem
Hmm, I dunno. Ritual Expert doesn't seem like a good fit, personally. You've got Black Ogrun, sure, a melee brute that can also cast, and functions as a pretty decent anti-caster (thanks especially to Blood Steel Madness). Then you've got Ritual Expert, which seems to be focused largely towards stealth and skill expertise (thus the bonus skill tricks, and rituals oriented toward stealth or skill usefulness). I'm not sure I see a lot of synergy there,

I'm not using Ritual Expert for its specific features as much as I'm using it to get Minor and Least ritual tracing in a single level. I've spoken to SirP about a feat that lets me access Circle of Good Hope, so I'll mostly be buffing via that + general rituals which offer plenty of decent options.

and besides, it seems like Black Ogrun would really benefit from a PrC that continues advancing its casting while maintaining decent BAB and such.

Black Orgun I'm mostly taking for stats. Once I apply Primordial Giant, trade the growth ability for a point of str or con and put my lv4 boost into the other of str or con I end up with mods of: +2 con, +6 int, +4 cha. The casting, combat, and crafting abilities are fun additional bonuses but I don't know that they're really worth spending effort on improving.

Of course, if there was a ritual Prc that I could get into that had CoGH on its list and that improved sorcerer casting I'd totally take it. But that would basically be a Prc specifically created for this one character which is asking a bit much, I think.   

Also, keep in mind that you still have to pay the xp=gp price for crafting, so you can't go crazy crafting everyone's gear.

The player who wants the gear can give me the gp which I can then use to cover the xp * 5 cost, effectively just allowing the team to have weapons/armor at 70% book price. At least, that's how team FFA did it.

Quote from: bobthe6th
ogerun also comes with a nice 6/day greater magic weapon:D and mage armor ...  buddy could you spare a buff?  then Myra can toss his wand and add some cool thing to his bow(thinking about it). 

also, will he have a good craft check?   might drop mundane price to 1/3...  not massively important, but a nice save non the less.

Int mod of +8 and a ritual that gives +4 and ability to use untrained to any skill means he can make the check to craft a MW item with 0 ranks in craft. So, yeah, all mundane equipment will cost us 1/3 of book price if I go with this guy. I'll probably also put a few ranks in Craft(Alchemy) so he can hit the DCs for some of the more interesting stuff, like Auran Masks and Shapesand.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:23:13 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
Ritual Mage advances casting 8/10 and grants leasts as well.

The other thing you can do is buy some incenses or a glyph or two of CoGH.  But I think I'll include a way to get non-general rits through feats.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
Ok, points retracted. :)

I'm now caught up deciding on a general idea of where I would want to take this character if he gains levels. He's pretty functional at level 6, and I'm beginning to think Pseudonatural creature might not be the best fit, even if it could prove fun. Paragon is usually a decent option, though that would require foregoing flaws, and pre-selecting feats to aim for specific class abilities ahead of time. Since my character is pretty self-sufficient at this point, I might go in another direction. Since it's all about searching for perfection, I could take it into Monster of Legend next, then a level of some psionic class like psychic warrior (or maybe there's a good homebrew psionic class), then tashalatora and some PrC or something. Alternatively, just start jumping into martial adept classes. *shrug*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:00:37 PM by VennDygrem »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »
Quote from: sirpercival
Ritual Mage advances casting 8/10 and grants leasts as well.

Ritual Mage requires 3rd level spells and Orgun5 only has 1st.

I guess I could go Precocious Apprentice/Sanctum Spell or a similarly abusive setup but I'm not sure it's worth the feats even if you'd allow the Prc features to work outside the sanctum.

Quote from: sirpercival
The other thing you can do is buy some incenses or a glyph or two of CoGH.  But I think I'll include a way to get non-general rits through feats.

I may well pick up some Incenses and/or Glyphs whether or not I end up accessing CoGH through feats.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:52:29 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
BTW, I have to tell you, Ritual Chandler is awesome.  Someone is playing with Ritual Candles in a game, and they are nuts.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
Ok: new, new concept.

Kaorti1, Ritualist4, Ritual Chandler1.

I realized what I really wanted to do was spam Circle of Good Hope to transfer buffs to our, much larger than average, party. I may be able to finagle a way of making Ritual Expert (or Ritual Mage or Ritual Warrior) do that, but I'd be spending stupid amounts of resources compared to just going Ritualist.

Then I remembered Kaorti, which gives a nice int bonus, some SLAs, and even has a minion creating ability so I can do my part in swelling our unholy horde. Tack on a level of Ritual Chandler so I can see what's so awesome about those candles and I'm good to go. Hopefully, anyway.

So no discount on magic weapons/armor I'm afraid. Mundane and alchemical crafting is still on the table.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:00:24 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:43 AM »
Larger than normal? I'm counting 5, which is about average. Most teams are 5-6 players right now. If it seems like too much, I can always drop, since I might join another team being formed, dependent on SirP finishing his latest masterpiece, and gaining at least one more player. :D

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »
No, don't do that. There's nothing wrong with the number of players in the team.

I just mean that, so far, nearly every single PC has at least one minion and/or summoning ability.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2012, 12:57:43 AM »
Here or in all teams?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »
Hmm, all the better to reflect our team name. We'll have quite the squad of brutes down in the Dungeon. :D

Of course, my 'minions' only last an hour apiece, and I can only do it twice per day for now, but I did remember that I have something along those lines. I'll probably forget about it a lot.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
dependent on SirP finishing his latest masterpiece

Wow... first of all, you think Warcrafter is a masterpiece?? And I have more than one??

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
hey everyone.... here are most of my nearly finished followers... i still need to finish equipment and fluff. also i need to do a DMM cohort

followers-
1 shopkeeper
(click to show/hide)

2 crafter
(click to show/hide)

3 poison/drug maker
(click to show/hide)

4 locksmith
(click to show/hide)

5 bodyguard
(click to show/hide)

6 sneak
(click to show/hide)

7 ?
no ideas yet

8 ?
no ideas yet
- All Spells
- playground

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:17 PM »
dependent on SirP finishing his latest masterpiece

Wow... first of all, you think Warcrafter is a masterpiece?? And I have more than one??

Why do you think I was so enthusiastic to play it? :D

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
It's done enough to play, now.  I posted Twisted Vellum.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »
Where?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:55 PM »
This discussion's not really relevant to this group. However, if you want to see it, it's posted on the Homebrew forum. You can see it in this thread.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
That's cool :)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
VennDygrem,  I am looking for equipment and I saw your choker character. He has a +1 Empowering Lamen that costs 3000gp. Shouldn't it cost 12000gp?