Author Topic: Will Mystic Shield allow you to cast verbal component spells when within silence  (Read 2096 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Mystic Shield:
Mystic Shield
(Anauroch: The Empire of Shade, p. 141)

Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer 8, Wizard 8,
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

With the casting of your spell, you feel a presence about you, warding off the spells of other caster.

This spell creates an invisible aura around the recepient that moves with that individual. It prevents all spells and spell-like abilities of 6th level or lower from affecting the recipient. The protected individual can cast spells normally, even on himself. Magic items and spells that summon items to the caster such as Leomund's secret chest and Drawmij's instant summons likewise function normally.

A mystic shield also negates the enhancement bonuses and special properties of magic weapons used against the target.

Material Component: A stone, a drop of blood, a tear from caster's eye, and a clear gem stone worth at least 400 gp.

If Silence was cast upon a pebble, and then a caster under the effect of Mystic Shield stood right next to the Silence pebble, could that caster cast a verbal component spell?  (With an actual verbal component; silent spell doesn't count.)

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
I'd be inclined to say yes... the spell doesn't explicitly single out targeted spells like most other spells like it... so if the blast from a fireball would be blocked then I'd imagine so too would the effects of walking into an area under the effect of a silence spell... however keep in mind if your target is in an area of silence too and your using an audible spell such as any sonic damage spell... while you'd still be able to cast it it'd have no effect.

To me the spell seems like it acts as your own personal little Anti-magic zone without the drawbacks of actually being in an anti-magic zone.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
To me the spell seems like it acts as your own personal little Anti-magic zone without the drawbacks of actually being in an anti-magic zone.
I see it more like a more-powerful, and personal-only Globe of Invulnerability (which would block a silence effect), but yeah.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Silence doesn't technically affect the creatures in an area, it affects the area itself. I think. The spell isn't exactly written with perfect clarity. I'm still not sure if creatures in the area get a Will save to negate it on themselves separate from whatever creature or object it's targeted on if not a point in space.

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
Silence doesn't technically affect the creatures in an area, it affects the area itself. I think. The spell isn't exactly written with perfect clarity. I'm still not sure if creatures in the area get a Will save to negate it on themselves separate from whatever creature or object it's targeted on if not a point in space.

This is precisely why I mentioned that spells with audible effects would still fail. Silence does affect the area not specifically the creatures within it... so if Mystic Shield will let you cast spells with verbal components still then you should still be prepared for any spell with a sound based/triggered effect to have no effect due to being immediately silenced after being cast.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
'Cept for the darn buffed pebble ... I very hazy (!) recall a rules discussion about what happens when 2 Auras come in contact with each other, and when they conflict on some level.
idk where when.

CPsi nerf of Crystal Shard being shot into Anti-Magic/Psi field, comes to mind as possibly effecting this.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline NunoM

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
I'd say yes.
The effect of the spell is a sort of bubble around the affected character, so the character would even hear himself speak. Other creatures around him/her would not, however.

I wonder how the Conjuration [Creation] spells, like most orbs, would act on the affected character... If it's anything like an AMF, i'd say the orbs created would go through the shield, as they're not magical and only created and launched by magic. Also, the shield itself isn't a physical barrier so it wouldn't act as an obstacle against the orbs, right?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:49:51 PM by NunoM »