Author Topic: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions  (Read 58328 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »
Hey Ejo, what about a feat to let their dog be a riding dog or some other means of boosting it?  You could also say that the companion is a coyote and to use the stats for a dog...

I've been pondering this, actually... But I'm not sure how awkward it would be to allow a medium creature to ride a medium creature, especially when I'm not sure how to balance the riding dog versus the standard...
Well, just because something is a "riding dog" doesn't mean that it can be ridden.  It's just a particular breed of dog.

The standard dog was chosen because it is strictly inferior to a wolf that a normal Druid gets, but not by a margin that would matter in the long run. The riding dog is superior to the wolf by the same margin, and while the difference between it and the normal dog stands out a bit more, I'm not sure if it's enough to warrant a penalty to the effective Druid level or the cost of the feat is enough of an offset.
Well, if you change the fluff to a "coyote", then you can upgrade to a wolf and still call it a "coyote", just a bigger more muscley-armed one.  ;)  Given that one could just get a wolf or riding dog with Wild Cohort, I would say the feat penalty is enough.

I was also considering, as a follow up feat, giving the ability to ride them and allowing it to count as special mount or familiar, making it an alternate entry into super mount type characters. This would be, to those that could make use of it, quite strong imo for a single feat, but I don't know if I would want to reign in the power of the first feat to alleviate this...
Well, you don't need a feat to ride an animal companion, as long as it's big enough.  However, you could make a feat that lets it count as either a special mount or a familiar instead of an AC... I dunno if that would be worth it, though.  Basically it would let you trade away the original class feature and still keep one.  And the supermountness is still not useful since as a Coyote you can't take levels in Halfling Outrider ;)

I'm thinking too much.  :???
Always a problem... lol.

EDIT: By the way, here's the character if you're interested.

Very interested, and quite like how you adapted it to fit into a general setting. I also like how you summarized all the character specific pieces of the general information.

As the creator of the nullcraft template, do you feel that property counts as mundane or magical in nature for being incorporated into the animal form?
Well, I think the templates in general are supposed to be mundane.  You don't need an item creation feat for it, so I think that decides it.

Holy crap, I just read this over and I used the word "Well" way too much.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »
Given that one could just get a wolf or riding dog with Wild Cohort, I would say the feat penalty is enough.

I totally forgot that feat existed... *facepalm*

My issues are reassured... Added Draft Canine.

(click to show/hide)

Though the fluff of dog vs coyote or wolf exists for a quite particular reason within the setting. I daresay that wolves are actually even less common than Wolves.

Well, you don't need a feat to ride an animal companion, as long as it's big enough.  However, you could make a feat that lets it count as either a special mount or a familiar instead of an AC... I dunno if that would be worth it, though.  Basically it would let you trade away the original class feature and still keep one.  And the supermountness is still not useful since as a Coyote you can't take levels in Halfling Outrider ;)

Yes, my point was that even with a riding dog (or wolf stat refluffed) companion instead of the standard dog, it'd not be large enough to ride without some kind of benefit in the feat.

And I meant a feat that allowed to count as a familiar or supermount in addition to an AC, thus allowing Coyotes to create their own supermount builds without the need for Halfling Outrider.

Holy crap, I just read this over and I used the word "Well" way too much.

Wellll... Don't be too hard on yourself...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »
While I'm looking at it, it's always annoyed me that barbarians could stop raging and then instantly die...

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 02:21:06 AM »
While I'm looking at it, it's always annoyed me that barbarians could stop raging and then instantly die...

This has always been a problem because of the Con boost... Deathless Frenzy pretty much just gives delay death for the duration of the rage...

The Resilient Rage version of Sudden Calm can circumvent this issue partially, but short of always setting a Barb's health to 0 when a rage ends (which could be a massive effective heal in certain circumstances) or not giving any extra hp from Con and removing the idea of deathless frenzy (an iconic concept imo)...

I can't think of any other ways to fix this issue...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:23:50 AM by EjoThims »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »
There is, but I don't know how much you like it.  Just say something like, "The HP gained from the con boost is treated as temporary hit points and thus is reduced first when the barbarian takes damage.  This temp hp is lost once the rage ends."

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2012, 02:28:18 AM »
There is, but I don't know how much you like it.  Just say something like, "The HP gained from the con boost is treated as temporary hit points and thus is reduced first when the barbarian takes damage.  This temp hp is lost once the rage ends."

That could fix it at lower levels or for the normal barbarian (since it's effectively removing the hp from con), but the frenzied berserker or anything else which uses deathless frenzy still will die at the end of the rage.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
And that's not a problem to me at all.  It's a concept that as you said Ejo is iconic.  You survive the bulk of the battle due to pure unrelenting hate for the opposition, and when it's over, your deed is done and you drop dead.  Especially in a world where dying is no real problem, this is just fine.  I would, however, do that temp HP switch, so that any extra HP from con boosts goes away first.  You'll note that the only thing this does is give you a boost of HP, and makes it a benefit at low levels instead of a problem.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »

That could fix it at lower levels or for the normal barbarian (since it's effectively removing the hp from con), but the frenzied berserker or anything else which uses deathless frenzy still will die at the end of the rage.

I agree with dman, dying from deathless frenzy is different from dying because your max hp went down because you lost ten points of Con (which your barbarian can do).

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

I agree with dman, dying from deathless frenzy is different from dying because your max hp went down because you lost ten points of Con (which your barbarian can do).

Yea. Looking again this morning I realize it's not quite clear, but I also agree with the temp hp switch making it not an issue at low levels. I just didn't actually switch it up yet; I was tired. Fixing that now real fast.  ;)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
It should say "thus are removed first", but it looks good.   :thumb

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »

Fixed.  :D

Also, I included all the new feats in the summary post under the summary thread.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

Also, I included all the new feats in the summary post under the summary thread.

Hooray for organization!   :D

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »

Hooray for organization!   :D

Indeed!

Also, you should pop over the racial sub level thread and take a glimpse at the (much less) rough draft of the Tiger Spirit Shaman.

And feel free to offer advice/suggestions for any of the other sub levels. ;)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »
It's flavorful, I don't know how balanced it is but I like it.   :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
I just realized something.

You should give Barbarians Spot as a class skill.  They have Listen, but not Spot.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
It's flavorful, I don't know how balanced it is but I like it.   :D

Glad you like it. Any suggestions on how to balance it?

I just realized something.

You should give Barbarians Spot as a class skill.  They have Listen, but not Spot.

Strange. Added. Also knowledge nature. Cause (especially with removing illiteracy) it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't be able to readily learn about that shit, from a book or not.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
Don't have time for any real analysis, but Tiger Spirit Shaman has level 2 listed twice.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
Don't have time for any real analysis, but Tiger Spirit Shaman has level 2 listed twice.

Meh... my copy/paste skills are apparently lacking

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »
Looks flavorful and interesting.  You have Wis listed twice for the DC calculations, is that intentional?

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2012, 12:51:32 AM »
Looks flavorful and interesting.  You have Wis listed twice for the DC calculations, is that intentional?

No. Fuck me... See above. :P