Author Topic: Dead Earth: A New Beginning  (Read 66452 times)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Earth: A New Beginning
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:58 AM »
She nods toward the hill, "the mountain exit is the closest exit from the observatory, but the longest from the prototype's location...". She looks thoughtful for a second, glancing around at the ceiling, she whispers, "I can say more if we continue, not here though, he listens". She speaks up again, "The most direct route to our destination is the far exit from us, the North exit...that means trekking 2 miles through the observatory".

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 25, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
"I'd rather follow the wall, then, to prevent getting surrounded as easily.  It'll take longer, though.  Anyone disagree?"
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline shallowesoul

• the past is never dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
"sounds like a good idea Chuck, but do we have the time to take longer? after all the military could drop the nuke any time now. and whats worse is we're probably far enough under the city that we wouldn't even notice when that happens."

Offline maggieloo72

• Seek the truth and challenge the norm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »
... Lily's eyes never leave the green of the observatory. She speaks with almost no emotion--almost, save for a twinge of anxiety. "It's dangerous, but probably best to take our chances through the jungle. Time is not on our side and victory past the buzzer is still a loss."

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »
"Well, we have no idea how long it will take the nukes to arrive, but I can agree that time is an issue.  Straight on through and over the mountain to the opposite side, then.  Let's just hope that whatever lives in here won't delay us more than the long way around."  Chuck heads out straight toward the mountain in the center of the observatory.

(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 05, 2013, 02:14:15 AM »
Wasting no time Chuck dives head first into the observatory. Instantly he notices the change in humidity as heat flushes his face and as he takes a deep breathe he realizes even the air is thinner in here...as if he were higher in elevation and not thousands of feet underground. Moving forward towards the mountain he reaches the river. The river looks to be only ten feet wide and 3 feet deep at the most and is moving about 4 miles an hour. There is a rope bridge with wooden planks that crosses though. The bridge for some reason however, is in horrible condition. It appears to be rotting. On the other side of the bridge is a small clearing before the jungle gets thick. Chuck can see something lying on the ground in the clearing but can't make out what it is from this distance. In the far west he can make out a tree that has fallen over the river and serves as a possible way to cross. Looking at the actual river itself he believes it wouldn't be too difficult to traverse if he had too...as long as nothing lurked in the waters.

Johnson follows the leader, moving in a low crouch behind Chuck and sweeping the area for danger with his rifle. Builder hefts his wrench in the room and has a look on his face that says he's unsure of this course of action. Viona peeks out the door reluctantly looking every which direction for danger.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:16:44 AM by thecajunone »

Offline shallowesoul

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
Hudson follows Chuck' lead through the jungle. as they are traveling Hudson keeps a sharp eye out for any movement in the trees around him and the others, while also keeping track of the different smells he is able to locate. When they reach the river Hudson looks at the water skeptical about its depth. "would probably be best to cross on that log over there. getting out clothes drenched in here would only tire us out more quickly."

actions
(click to show/hide)
status
(click to show/hide)

Offline maggieloo72

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »
"Sounds fine. I'd prefer not to test the water now. We can make up the time west if we hurry." Lily heads toward the log at a brisk pace, looking and listening with caution. "Viona, is our exit directly north from here? And should we expect any other environmental obstacles?" Lily brushes the hair from her face and pushes her sleeves further up. It's only going to get warmer in here. When she arrives at the fallen tree, Lily judges the condition of the wood and its placement. She begins to climb on the banked edge, testing the slip factor. If safe, she will venture across--body low and hands ready to grab the log if necessary.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
Lily tests the log first and it appears steady. She then climbs aboard it and like a cat slinks across the small river. She steps down on the other side and immediately takes a look around to inspect her surroundings. Here is where the jungle gets thick. The shrieks of monkey's and various caw's of birds mingle in the air loudly, uneasily reminding her of the screeching Infected make. The forest is very thick ahead and she can only see maybe ten feet into it before visibility stops. To the east is the small clearing that lies after the rope bridge. From her position Lily can better see what Chuck couldn't make out. Lying on the ground in the clearing is a body...or pieces of a body. Something had ripped someone to shreds. Near the body on the ground is a metallic looking square. Beyond the clearing is the path to the base of the mountain and to the west lies jungle as far as she can see...which admittedly wasn't much. Lily double checks for danger, then signals to the others it's safe.

Viona snorts. "I don't want to cross the log. What if I fall"? She crosses her arms stubbornly.

Johnson rolls his eyes at her then nods to the others. "Go ahead. I'll cover the rear". He takes up a crouching position and watches out for danger warily.

Hudson looks out for danger too but see's nor hears nothing more than he did before. Taking another sniff he is shocked at the smell of water. It's...pleasant in a way. But it's distracting as well and covers other scents up.

However the smell of Infection is stronger than before.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »
"At least the bridge had something to hold onto," Chuck grumbles as he slowly and cautiously crosses the length of the tree.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline shallowesoul

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2013, 03:46:33 PM »
Johnson smiles wryly, hearing Chuck's grumbles as Chuck mounts the log and begins stepping across, hands out for balance.

Without warning Hudson gets on the log as well when Chuck is nearly half way. The log shifts. Whoa! Chuck nearly falls off, coming to a crouch and using both hands on the log to steady himself. Hudson wavers, one foot in the air momentarily before finding his footing. They both continue across slowly and step off to the other side.

"Go", Johnson growls to Viona, "Or I'll toss you across".

Viona pouts, puffing her lower lip out, but Johnson just shakes his head. Her beauty couldn't work on him, he was already infatuated with another doctor. She then practically sneers as she steps up to the log. "Ridiculous", she mumbles as she begins to cross, "I don't see why we couldn't use the bri-whoa..."! She slips on her next step and falls straight into the small river.

A litany of curses erupt from her mouth as she swims to shore quite powerfully. "Captain of the swim team", she mumbles as she steps onto the shore. She is now sulking wet from her head to her toes and extremely pissed off looking. "I can't travel like this".

Johnson on the other side of the shore is cackling with laughter.

"FUCK YOU"! She roars from their side.

Johnson crosses quite deftly, even in armor, and lands on the other side. He has a perpetual smirk. Viona gives him a glare that promises death if she can help it. "I can't travel like this", she repeats, folding her arms stubbornly.

The shrieks of monkey's and various caw's of birds mingle in the air loudly where the jungle meets the river. To the east is the small clearing and mangled body/metallic object that lies after the rope bridge. The clearing is the path to the base of the mountain and to the west lies jungle as far as the eye can see.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:50:46 PM by thecajunone »

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
Fighting down a smirk of his own, Chuck says, "I'm sure you can lodge a complaint with our host, once we greet him in person.  Add your current discomfort to the list of things that happen when you fuck with nature.  I'm not sure if you've noticed by the smell or not, but we've been in these clothes for days now.  You're the only one who was fortunate enough to have a bath."

He turns to view the clearing in the distance, trying to make out any details.  "I vote we investigate.  Good gear is hard to come by, and we may be lucky enough to find a new set of clothes for our resident swim team captain."

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline maggieloo72

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
Lily doesn't try to hide her smile. It's good to have something (or someone) at which to laugh before they enter the dangerous unknown. Nodding in agreement, the former P.I. starts off in the direction of clearing. "Maybe some chain mail would be more her style," Lily says dryly. She scans the green for movement and tries to trust her senses though her gut tells her there are hidden threats everywhere.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline shallowesoul

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
After seeing Viona fall into the water and swim across Hudson cant help but laugh out loud at what has just happened. "well theres not much to say about what just happened, other than karmas a bitch of course. anyways, we should get moving. as for a change of clothes you're just shit outta luck, the only clothes we have are the ones on our backs. you should have thought about that before you decided to take a little dip in the river." Hudson gives a little chuckle after speaking, then turns to the clearing and begins making his way there with the others.

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
Chuck and Lily examine their surroundings. On this side of the river the bank extends a couple feet and then several more of barren ground before a wall of jungle rushes to greet them. To the west the river continues on and on and the jungle along side it. To the north east the mountain peeks up over the tall canopy. To the immediate east not even 50 feet away is the ratty bridge that leads to the small clearing before the jungle gets thick again. From here it's quite visible that the tattered remains that lies in the clearing was once a man. Now just a bundle of ripped flesh and broken bones. The grey slim box lying near him is still ambigous from the distance. The clearing once obviously once some sort of camp judging from the ashes from a fire they can now make out from this angle near the body. Beyond the clearing is a path that seems to cut through the thick of the jungle towards the mountain peak.

The same sounds of the living jungle assault Lily's ears as before, a contrast to the gentle churning of the stream behind her.

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
"Let's go.  Keep your eyes peeled for whatever tore that poor bastard apart."  With eyes and ears open, Chuck heads off to search the camp.

(click to show/hide)

Offline thecajunone

• Honorary Mod
  • Smoke er'ry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:11 AM »
Chuck enters the small clearing, eyes peeled for danger. The path lies ahead towards the mountain. At his feet the remnants of a body remains. He searches underneath the body to find a and an extra clip. In the man's right pocket he pulls out a playing card, a poker card, the Joker. Chuck turns around and looks down at the grey object they saw earlier. It's a lap top computer. The lid is closed and it appears to have seen better days.

Suddenly Chuck's eyes flicker to the jungle. Something had moved in the trees. He could have sworn it. He strains to hear anything but the jungle goes quiet. Even the birds weren't cawing suddenly.

Offline maggieloo72

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
Lily's eyes meet Chuck's. The sudden silence of their surroundings was unnerving. She looks to Johnson and moves in with her back to the group. She aims her gun into the open jungle, waiting for another sign of movement. Damn! she thinks, I hoped we could get further before this moment. Firing their weapons now would only alert more threats if they survived to press forward.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:50:40 PM by maggieloo72 »

Offline Gnomeo

• Legendary Member
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2013, 07:56:59 PM »
Scanning the foliage for threats, Chuck slowly pulls out the archaic mace at his side.  He takes a few steps to stand over the laptop, and reaches down to pick it up with his off hand.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)