Author Topic: [3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]  (Read 47594 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
[3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »
Sandbox, Medieval, Low-Mid Fantasy, Gothic, Magic is Witchcraft, Theological society, Non-Intervening God (Single), Humans are Xenophobic - Think 1000's Europe at the height of Christian power.

It's an evolving setting, which i'll be constructing along with the campaign. Starting area is more or less like England, physically, but more in line with Spain during the Inquisition, politically.

THE PREMISE:

You are all criminals. Whatever crimes you have committed, or were accused of committing, got you arrested. They were something really bad, punishable with death in the kingdom of Astaria - treason, murder, arson, kidnapping, racketeering, piracy, repeated armed robbery, aggravated assault of a noble, drug dealing, blasphemy, witchcraft, heresy, prostitution... It may have been any of them, or more than one, coupled with more minor offenses, and it doesn't matter if you were innocent, you were judged, tried, convicted and executed. ON THE SPOT. And, no matter the innocence of the crime you were convicted of...

You were sinners.

Buried in a shallow mass grave, along with all the other recently convicted...

But it didn't end there. You all awoke screaming, naked, searing pain burning through your skin... Hot irons sizzling in your chest. Burning hellfire all around you... Thousands of others, all the same...

Was this hell?

You felt cold, and blacked out.

When you awoke again, you were in chains. Neck, hands and arms bound. The room was pitch black, and a grave, otherwordly voice said:

"BEHOLD, for i have brought you back from the fires of hell itself, and i will give you the opportunity to avenge your deaths."

RULES and HOUSE RULES (lot of em):

(click to show/hide)
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »
sounds fun

so like seeking revenge on the Spanish Inquisition :)
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
It's an evolving setting, which i'll be constructing along with the campaign. Starting area is more or less like England, physically, but more in line with Spain during the Inquisition, politically.

We talking the popculture Spanish Inquisition or the real life one? :p

Interested. Will see what thoughts come to mind. Probably should not play another character whose idea is 'roll ALL the dice', honestly. :lmao

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
I assume this is PbP?  If not, I'm interested depending on day and time.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 04:08:16 PM »
thats very true... i would only be able to do a PbP
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
Yes, PbP, on these here forums.

Raineh Daze: Real life one. With all the gruesome details, corruption, etc... But much much worse, since magic actually does exist in this world, lol.

The government is a Monarchy, but in name only. The Church is the one that holds true power, having a monopoly on who gets to practice magic or not. They are divided in different sections:

Order of the Contemplative Mind:  Psionic ability is seen as a gift from God, and most children who exhibit the Gift are taken to the various monasteries of the Order of the Contemplative Mind for training, where they can hone their skills as psions, wilders or psychic warriors. They also employ the services of Swordsages, combat monks that didn't have psionic ability, but wished to serve them as well, who are then trained mostly in the Diamond Mind and Setting Sun schools. They are the second most powerful organization, having people infiltrated deep into the government, as well as every section of the Church.

Order of the Sacred Scriptures: The most influential section, spearheaded by high-level Clerics and Archivists, they are the ones that hold the most sway. They control the various churches, and are tied closely with the Order of the Holy Knight Crusaders, who answers to them.

Order of the Divine Choir: An organization that is headed by bards, it is responsible for propaganda, as well as espionage and subterfuge. They don't have much influence themselves, but know enough that they are nearly untouchable. They make dealings with pirates, nobles and rich men from everywhere, and are the order least concerned about the true purpose of the scriptures, but, ironically enough, are the ones responsible for spreading the religion to everywhere.

Order of the Holy Knight Crusaders are the church's army, composed of crusaders, knights, psychic warriors, as well as combat inclined clerics, psions, and divine bards. Many aristocrat sons who couldn't make it to anywhere else in life are thrown in here, to be used by the church to hunt down infidels. They have the most members out of every order, and thus the most power, but different factions fighting from within prevent them from becoming more influent.

There's also secret orders within the church... Who you will have to find out during the game!

Other than the church, there's the Monarchic government, ruled by one King, with 10 different regions divided amongst several nobles of varying influence. The king's army is small and pitiful compared to the Church's army, and so the King decreed his army was to become support for the Church's army, and gave high-ranking bishops the power of generals.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
Heheh, fun.

Thoughts on the mechanics of this? Perfectly willing to find a way to refluff it.

... I just like bell curves. :blush

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
Hmm... I think it is a bit strong. While i'm fully aware the Swordsage is the weakest of the initiator class, this one is even stronger than the Warblade or Crusader - And it is easier to break than you think... This guy can be a critical powerhouse. Just imagine this guy, using Blood in the Water, Fate Dice, Fate's Swordman, and a Keen 18-20 weapon? (Which, in the Bell Curve Variant, gets 13-18 threat range). If played RIGHT, this Character can crit every round, everytime. Give him a Kaorti-Resin weapon and Weapon Master's -2 to threat range, and you're now talking 11-18. 4d6 remove one once a round, plus the ability to replace one of the dice with one from your dice pool? Damn. That's not even talking about using the Fate Dice = +1/day luck feat, the reroll damage thing, and Aura of Chaos...

See where i'm getting at? Sorry, the class is just too powerful when played right.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »
i'm feeling like playing a dwarf tank.

is the Planescape setting available? i've got a feat or two from there that looked interesting
- All Spells
- playground

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
Aww, that's a shame.  Sounded like fun.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
Honestly, I had never even considered the idea of crit-fishing. I don't like crits. I don't seem to ever roll one. :lmao

Hm, really not sure what class to go for... definitely not a spellcaster, though; and Incarnum is maddening. Too. Much. Blue (and horrifying freakishness for Totemist appearances).

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
i'm feeling like playing a dwarf tank.

is the Planescape setting available? i've got a feat or two from there that looked interesting

Yes, if it's not something outsider specific or anything... If it's not inappropriate, then it's fair game. Even dragon and homebrew. Like, if you want to take the Choke Hold feat from Oriental Adventures, it's fine, because it's really not thematically linked to orientals or anything, but if you wanted to play a Mahõ-Tsukai or a Mahõ-Bujin, then we'd need to talk it over to see if a refluff is possible, etc...

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Dread Champion? Warpsoul?

Dread Champion i'll have to have a look later... I need to see the Maneuvers. The class does look pretty cool, though.

Warpsoul is approved.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
Yes, if it's not something outsider specific or anything... If it's not inappropriate, then it's fair game. Even dragon and homebrew. Like, if you want to take the Choke Hold feat from Oriental Adventures, it's fine, because it's really not thematically linked to orientals or anything, but if you wanted to play a Mahõ-Tsukai or a Mahõ-Bujin, then we'd need to talk it over to see if a refluff is possible, etc...

if its not approriate huh.... i'll look for some of that crazy stuff.

no really, the feats i was looking at right now are...
-Mountain's Stoicism, which gives Con to AC while defensive
-Destruction Embraced, which gives you a +1 luck (plus additional +1/4 levels) to saves and AC if you actively resist ALL divine healing and not use healing items
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
Well, time to spam classes etc. at you before I try and work out which of the official stuff I'm interested in using (because Artificer is currently the only thing that springs to mind, which, uh, is the height of inappropriateness). Sorry for any trouble this may cause. :blush

Pyromania is always fun. Less screwy than a Nord Blade. Hardly a new thing, but eh. When in doubt, shoot it. I expect the answer is no unless this place has a barbarian problem.

Probably not given the item restrictions.

And one totally inappropriate but so much fun to link.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 06:01:53 PM »
I think my choice would be Dread Champion, if it's approved, since I've never played one. I've always wanted to do Warpsol/Soulfused Transcendant, though.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
Fuck Yeah!  Sounds like an awesome setting!

How do you feel about Binder/Divine Adaptation Anima Mage?  Otherwise, doesn't someone around here have some nifty Binder PrC's - was that you, SirP?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »
this sound awesome for my idea The Monstrous Armiger
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »
Z-Fighter - It's almost like a Monk/Warlock combo. Lol. I like it, but yeah, not really appropriate...

Monstrous Armiger: omgwtfbbq. Basically at-will Alter Self + Polymorph but for creatures on the Summon Monster List, all at level 1. Oh, and you can use spell-likes, and supernatural abilities... Except this can also be comboe'd with Polymorph, so you can basically be two creatures at once... I'd have to say no :|

Naseli: Some problematic abilities, but could work. Stuff like anything they light on fire is subject to dispel, etc...

Gambler: I don't know, i'd have to look over every maneuver. Also, they are gamblers, but they don't really seem to take much risk, if at all. They get bonuses to AC, evasion, DR/- equal to half the class level a few times a day, etc... I'd REALLY have to think this one through.

Warlock Rewrite: Approved.

Sniper: Approved. Pretty balanced. Might cause problems in a regular game with Splitting, etc., but not here.

Dovahkiin: Not appropriate.

Linklord: A divine adaptation wouldn't fit in this scenario, since divine classes worship the "one true God", and a Binder inherently gets his power from elsewhere. A psionic adaptation, on the other hand, could be done.