Author Topic: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)  (Read 32084 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »
Chirop's out and about researching his thesis on the sounds of magic. I don't really have any backstory beyond that, but it's a good excuse for him to be traveling from whichever point A to whichever point B. Maybe he's going to a major magical center to get access to a wide range of mainstream magical practitioners, or maybe he's seeking out some back woods hedge mage who's supposed to know some obscure spell or magical technique that needs audio recording for SCIENCE!

And then he's going to run into Hrothgar and Necra at some point.
- With Hrothgar, there's this whole obscure form of blade magic that has so little proper research and documentation about. The interaction between the magical energies and the steel itself singing as it swings... How much of a difference is there when you use a sword versus an axe? How about a scythe? What about a staff? Metal-shod vs. pure wood? Ooh, you've got a blade spell that makes ice? We must record this under varying conditions. The frost alone will have its own sound pattern!
- To Necra: "How would you describe the sizzle of that soul-burning engine? Is it more of a 'sizzle-pop' or a 'waagh eternalagonyandutlimatedespair'? My ears are excellent, but there's an entirely different acoustic situation for an outside observer compared to you yourself with it happening inside your own body. And be honest, this is for posterity."

Well, that was fun to write.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
Quill, which negative plane would be most appropriate for a mad scientist/necromancer as well as having an orc tribe?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2016, 07:30:22 PM »
- To Necra: "How would you describe the sizzle of that soul-burning engine? Is it more of a 'sizzle-pop' or a 'waagh eternalagonyandutlimatedespair'? My ears are excellent, but there's an entirely different acoustic situation for an outside observer compared to you yourself with it happening inside your own body. And be honest, this is for posterity."
Think steam engine with the slightest hint of brief but unimaginable agony. Though only shortly after consuming a soul, most of the time its just a low rumble.

One plus side: if a deathjack kills someone you can be fairly certain they aren't coming back, having your soul consumed makes you difficult to resurrect.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:50:52 PM by littha »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2016, 09:13:29 AM »
For backstory, would having Tr'bon be an ex-low level officer (lieutenant, sergeant) be appropriate? It'd make it easy to explain why he's a decent leader, and where Bob came from.

Done.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »
Quill, which negative plane would be most appropriate for a mad scientist/necromancer as well as having an orc tribe?
I'm gradually editing descriptions of them into the World thread. Ukrolus, Yrst, Itanat, and Reyennon are up; see what you think.

I may end up just carrying around all my wealth as black onyx gems. Being a gemstone it should be a trade good and it seems more in flavour than art.
I have a thought:

Katadesmos Necra
This arcane tome discusses the theory of necromancy and the use of negative energy with a slightly disturbing degree of detail and enthusiasm, but it's author's scholarship was impeccable. It grants a bonus on knowledge checks related to its topic as a masterwork tool, and also contains detailed notes on two uncommon spells, although you aren't an arcanist yourself and have thus been unable to decipher their effects.
225 gp

For backstory, would having Tr'bon be an ex-low level officer (lieutenant, sergeant) be appropriate? It'd make it easy to explain why he's a decent leader, and where Bob came from.

Done.

(click to show/hide)
Looks good. Did you have a region in mind? Looking over the map, the only war I've written into the setting yet is between Eldheim and Langt, but that's not exclusive, of course. People fight everywhere, especially in a world like this.

Offline Dr_emperor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
hi sorry i disapeared can I still play?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2016, 11:54:15 AM »
I didn't, most because the region details still seemed a little WIP. But if that's a good place to come from and it had humans, sign me up.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »
I may end up just carrying around all my wealth as black onyx gems. Being a gemstone it should be a trade good and it seems more in flavour than art.
I have a thought:

Katadesmos Necra
This arcane tome discusses the theory of necromancy and the use of negative energy with a slightly disturbing degree of detail and enthusiasm, but it's author's scholarship was impeccable. It grants a bonus on knowledge checks related to its topic as a masterwork tool, and also contains detailed notes on two uncommon spells, although you aren't an arcanist yourself and have thus been unable to decipher their effects.
225 gp

That looks like good fun and its probably better than carrying all that onyx around.
:D

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »
I have a thought:

Katadesmos Necra
225 gp

That looks like good fun and its probably better than carrying all that onyx around.
:D

Cheap magic items! Get your cheap magic items! Guaranteed 100% quality at only 70% cost! Perfectly legitimate, they're store surplus that fell off the back of a cart. Take a gander at this one. Part hookah, part coffee maker, and it makes julienne fries. It will not break! *crash* It broke.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:30:27 PM by Garryl »

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
hi sorry i disapeared can I still play?
I don't see why not. I intend to start the campaign thread once the first four characters are ready, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you to to join slightly later once your character is done.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
Cheap magic items! Get you cheap magic items! Guaranteed 100% quality at only 70% cost! Perfectly legitimate, they're store surplus that fell off the back of a cart. Take a gander at this one. Part hookah, part coffee maker, and it makes julienne fries. It will not break! *crash* It broke.

Really thinking about swapping out the Mwk Xbow and 30 bolts for that case of bolts you've got. It'd be handy and otherwise almost no change to my character sheet.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »
Cheap magic items! Get you cheap magic items! Guaranteed 100% quality at only 70% cost! Perfectly legitimate, they're store surplus that fell off the back of a cart. Take a gander at this one. Part hookah, part coffee maker, and it makes julienne fries. It will not break! *crash* It broke.

Really thinking about swapping out the Mwk Xbow and 30 bolts for that case of bolts you've got. It'd be handy and otherwise almost no change to my character sheet.

Speaking of bolts, you've got 54 gp more than you think you do. Crossbow bolts cost only 1 gp per 10, not each.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

Speaking of bolts, you've got 54 gp more than you think you do. Crossbow bolts cost only 1 gp per 10, not each.

Grabbed it from someone else's sheet, and that's what I get. I'll sort it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2016, 05:03:30 PM »
I think that I'm done except for backstory.  No gear really excites me.

Oh, I assume that I need to buy clothes for my skeleton if I want him in more than rags?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »

Oh, I assume that I need to buy clothes for my skeleton if I want him in more than rags?

Hey Quill!

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »

Hey Quill!
A peasant's outfit costs a mere 1 sp., which you might as well round down to nothing, as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, yes.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
Done except for backstory, still haven't figured out which negative energy plane is most appropriate for deathbot and I.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »
Done except for backstory, still haven't figured out which negative energy plane is most appropriate for deathbot and I.
I'm having some trouble writing up the last three, but I think I'll recommend Itanat; the plane's trait (evaporating memory) has a certain conceptual similarity to the Deathjack's furnace (burning souls). It's not exactly easy for the living to settle there, but it's not unknown (as with all the negative planes, really).They have to be careful to keep their settlements in the fog, either staying near a well, or maybe keeping a lot of (int 2) livestock, and it's not perfect protection, but it works. On the upside, Itanat has less undead inhabitants than most of the negative planes, and is safer in that regard.
Something to think about, possibly: where did Hrothgar learn the way of the Death Knight? Generally, you learn a martial discipline from a master of it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:41:01 PM by Quillwraith »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
My initial thought was that I learned to harness the negative energy of the plane itself.  Or I was corrupted by it, something like that.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »
Rough backstory idea (if you'd prefer a more standard way to learning my class abilities I can change it):

Hrothgar's tribe had been striving to make a living on Itanat for as long as anyone could remember, but unfortunately that didn't mean much.  As he grew, it became clear that Hrothgar was stronger and hardier than his peers and seemed more adapted to living in the harsh environment.  The fog had just as much of an affect on him as the other orcs, but Hrothgar recovered from it quickly as long as he wasn't away from it for too long. 

Unfortunately for the rest of the tribe, Hrothgar's differences were more than they realized.  It was as if he had been infused with the nature of the plane.  He practiced in secret, learning how to channel the powers of death through his attacks.  He also learned that he could heal, although even his healing was a bit necromantic as he had to strike a foe and channel that life force into a friend.

When his abilities were discovered, Hrothgar was confronted by his friend Gork.  After a brief scuffle Gork was dead although Hrothgar had only touched him.  Knowing that he had to do something, Hrothgar used all of his concentration trying to bring his friend back.  And he did, as an undead creature.  With all of the witnesses Hrothgar had no choice but to flee with Gork in tow.

They wandered together through the fog, keeping to the safest areas until Hrothgar found Necra and became fascinated.  Here was a being fueled by death even more than Hrothgar was!  With Necra and Gork as his best friends, no one could stop them!