Author Topic: Discussion about board migration  (Read 18266 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion about board migration
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
Things are always better done right than quickly.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
Things are always better done right than quickly.
Exactly.

Irregardless of the plan is a full site transfer or database, The IT guys gain experience with the plugins and debugging without causing problems to the operating forum allowing them to be better equipped for the actual move. It also has the nice effect of putting hosts & techs together for building trust between them and producing a working result also proves their capability which will help when it comes time for Meg to give a green light or not. So everyone benefits from taking the time to make sure things can be done right.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2017, 12:24:44 AM »
Excellent

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:50 AM »
Not really sure why all this is happening, but I appreciate seeing a lot of open discussion about it. It's good to be kept up to speed and all that. I noticed people mention the financial aspect of it all, but I don't have a clue how much this will be setting people back and if there's a way to contribute or whatever. I guess what I'd like to know is if there is something an average user with no particular technical expertise could do?
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »
Not really sure why all this is happening, but I appreciate seeing a lot of open discussion about it. It's good to be kept up to speed and all that. I noticed people mention the financial aspect of it all, but I don't have a clue how much this will be setting people back and if there's a way to contribute or whatever. I guess what I'd like to know is if there is something an average user with no particular technical expertise could do?

The main reason it is happening is because Meg and the gang don't have time to support some major technical issues that the board has been having, so we're moving in order to have the board be under the control of people who can devote the time to it.

Offline Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2017, 11:39:36 AM »
I'm kicking myself for finding this thread late.

I do Linux web hosting support for a living - all the crunchy backend stuff including databases, networking, and server optimization.

I'd love to help out however I can. I'm posting from my phone right now,  but I'll start checking in on the IRC web in at my main machine.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm not a 100% sure if he got it all debugged out and working, he could have just gotten busy in real.
...yeah, mostly everyone on both ends has just been busy.

I worked on a test site for a little while, but that was mainly to see how well Strat's server supports it and whether all the plugins we're using will work. And to test out possible new features.

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »

The main reason it is happening is because Meg and the gang don't have time to support some major technical issues that the board has been having, so we're moving in order to have the board be under the control of people who can devote the time to it.
Cheers for the recap. As said, if there's anything a pleb like myself can do, give a holler. Apart from doing test posting or something I don't really know what it could be, but someone might come up with a task or two.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »
Anyome else experiencing lag time or having their connection reset when editing pages?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
I just editted a post on the DL Nightstalker thread, with no problems.  Reformatted and added a link.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2017, 04:55:41 PM »
I also volunteer for an occasional mundane task(s) that may be available.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
'
Any news on this front, good bad or ugly?
Your codpiece is a mimic.