Author Topic: Looking for user input: New karma system  (Read 26277 times)

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for user input: New karma system
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »
What about something like they have over on Enworld?  Where people can comment on the post itself, and those comments are parsed at the bottom of the post their commenting on.

did that even make sense?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »
I didn't get the e-mail.

If we are going to have any kind of karma system I say A) No negative anything and B) I like getting feedback on specific posts instead of vague numbers.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »
I hate Enworld's way of doing that so much I specifically avoid their forums.

Offline Monotremeancer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
This
I hate Enworld's way of doing that so much I specifically avoid their forums.

And this
If we are going to have any kind of karma system I say A) No negative anything and B) I like getting feedback on specific posts instead of vague numbers.

I got the e-mail
I'm what's staring back from the abyss.
How come you guys never wave?

Please send me a PM if you give me kudos. I'm interested in what I'm doing right.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
Does it appear now?

EDIT: To be safe
This is the first time we've used the Announcement feature for a topic. Did everyone get an email? Is it too obtrusive?
To update: I still don't see any method of upvoting any posts in this or any other thread.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
Does it appear now?

This is the first time we've used the Announcement feature for a topic. Did everyone get an email? Is it too obtrusive?
To update: I still don't see any method of upvoting any posts in this or any other thread.
That's weird. There should be an arrow on the top right of posts, right next to the quote button, that turns green when you mouse over it. If you still don't see it, what browser and OS do you use?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:12:07 AM by Agita »
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
Does it appear now?

That's weird. There should be an arrow on the top right of posts, right next to the quote button, that turns green when you mouse over it. If you still don't see it, what browser and OS do you use?
It's not showing for me.  Firefox, Windows Vista.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »
Mind taking a screenshot?
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 09:21:29 AM »
Not generally savvy enough to post those coherently.  The only things I see up in the corner are "quote" and "modify," not the green up-arrow bit that briefly showed in Agita's screenshot before he ninja'd it out in an edit.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
Have you looked at someone elses post rather than yours? Because I don't think you can upvote your own posts, so maybe that's why you don't see the arrow.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
Ninja'ed by IK.

Not generally savvy enough to post those coherently.  The only things I see up in the corner are "quote" and "modify," not the green up-arrow bit that briefly showed in Agita's screenshot before he ninja'd it out in an edit.
That would be your own post, assuming you don't somehow have the rights to edit other's posts. What about on other people's posts?

EDIT: Hmm. The Forum Staff account can't see the arrows either, but in that case it's just due to not having enough posts to be allowed to upvote, I'm pretty sure. Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT2: What usergroups are you in, Inna? I'm not sure off the top of my head how to check for myself. Any others than Handbook Writer? Maybe something went wrong with usergroup permissions.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:31:36 AM by Agita »

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
Ninja'ed by IK.

That would be your own post, assuming you don't somehow have the rights to edit other's posts. What about on other people's posts?

EDIT: Hmm. The Forum Staff account can't see the arrows either, but in that case it's just due to not having enough posts to be allowed to upvote, I'm pretty sure. Is anyone else having this problem?
I apologize for including the fact that I can see "Modify" on my own posts, as it apparently gave the impression that they're the only ones I was looking at.  To clarify: On my own posts, I can see the "Quote" and "Modify" buttons in the upper right (as I face the screen) corner; on all posts that are not my own, I only see the "Quote" button in that area.

Edit: Off the top of my head, I'm a handbook writer and whatever usergroup you've lumped the general population into based upon post count.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:33:47 AM by InnaBinder »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
Edit: Off the top of my head, I'm a handbook writer and whatever usergroup you've lumped the general population into based upon post count.
Urgh...
Handbook Writer replaces your normal permissions with a different set, rather than adding to them. It's already caused a few oddities, though nothing that couldn't be fixed.

I've added the permissions to Handbook Writer now. Forum Staff can't vote, for the sake of fairness.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:24:47 AM by Prime32 »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »
Urgh...
Handbook Writer replaces your normal permissions with a different set, rather than adding to them. It's already caused a few oddities, though nothing that couldn't be fixed.

I've added the permissions to Handbook Writer now. Forum Staff can't vote, for the sake of fairness.

I only got 1 email, even though I'm a member of like 29435894 different groups.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
Upvote visibility is now enabled, thanks to whatever forum voodoo Prime32 and the rest of you did.

Offline Ziegander

• bkdubs123 reborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
I'm with some other posters in saying that if we're going to have a Karma system, that I would rather have it be based on specific posts rather than just something ambiguous under our Avvy. I like what's proposed here better than what we have.

EDIT: Would we have a way, through our UserCP or some other means, to view all of our posts that have been +1'd? Or something to that effect?

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
I find the karma system useless.  It's too coarse and too easily gamed.  I never pay attention to it. 

Ziegander's suggestions are good ones.  I think the "+1" type of posts that were the norm work just fine.  Though perhaps some way to search them more easily would be nice.  It's unclear to me what the benefits of the up voting are, except for maybe keeping the post count down(?). 

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
The post-based system has now been rolled out throughout the boards, and the old karma system has been disabled. Right now cumulative scores are displayed, though that can be turned off.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »
How do you find out what posts got plusses?  Or are the current scores just whatever points we got from the old system?

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
How do you find out what posts got plusses?  Or are the current scores just whatever points we got from the old system?
Points have been reset with the system change. For finding out what posts got upvoted, for now the only possibility is looking for them (for starters, this one by you got three). We're investigating means of searching for upvoted posts.