Author Topic: Hideous Blow RAW  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
Hideous Blow RAW
« on: June 07, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Invocations, unlike other spell-like abilities, have somatic components.  So you need a hand free to cast hideous blow. 

You make a melee attack as part of hideous blow.  Doesn't that mean the attack occurs during the span of time in which you need a hand free? 

So, by RAW, you're pretty much limited to one-handed weapons when using hideous blow? 

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Hideous Blow RAW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 06:17:11 PM »
IIRC, there is a feat that lets you make the somatic parts using your weapon. Don't remember what it's called though.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:22:15 AM »
Hideous Blow blows hideously. 

Remember, Spell-like abilities provoke AoOs, so you'd have to make a concentration check to invoke defensively. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:25:21 AM »
IIRC, there is a feat that lets you make the somatic parts using your weapon. Don't remember what it's called though.

Somatic Weaponry.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »
Here is the Warlock FAQ done by the designer of the class Rich Baker.  Originally he said that Hideous Blow did not provoke an AoO.  However, the "Sage Advice" Andy Collins gave on it did say it provoked an AoO.

By RAW, yes it does provoke an AoO.  However, why the hell would you play it that way?  That rule should be murdered with prejudice.