Author Topic: A Campaign to Fund a Campaign. Are You Interested?  (Read 15668 times)

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
A Campaign to Fund a Campaign. Are You Interested?
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »
If you've read my thread asking for help, you know that I've been in a pretty bad way lately, and anyone who's been in my position knows how hard it is to get out of it.

But I've been talking with Solo (the Sorcelator) here on MinMax, as well as a few other people, and we've come up with some ideas to help me help myself, as well as to give something back to our community, and I think it's something we can make work.

I've been part of some big projects in the past, and I've tossed out quite a number of big ideas, helped a lot of people to understand 3rd Edition (especially psionics), and engaged in some big debates here, on GiantitP, and on the old Gleemax boards. So I'd like to make a proposal. I want to use the gofundme money to buy some time, and use that time to start up an extended project.

Solo and I want to build some large and involved adventure campaigns for 3rd Edition and Pathfinder, launch our own website to host them, and to eventually branch out into other media, such as stories written by talented fantasy authors (including myself), and potentially webcomics and even some animated features, if we can get everything together properly. The bulk of the adventure campaigns will be free of charge, with specialty modules available for nominal fees, and potential merchandise later on. As we produce modules, we can use people here to playtest them, holding gaming parties and so on to see just how fun they are and whether they need tweaking before their release.

It's a big idea, and I think that we can make it work with some support from y'all and from other people we pick up along the way. I want to get the ball rolling on this, and the first step is to get some funds in that gofundme account. After that, we'll have to hold some big discussions so we can figure out how we're gonna do this.

I'm actually excited about something for the first time in a long time, and you should be, too! Help me with this, and we can do something great together.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:54:49 PM by Lycanthromancer »

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: A Campaign to Fund a Campaign. Are You Interested?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:04:19 AM »
Indeed, Lycanthromancer's campaign idea has similar themes to one of mine, so I decided we should partner up while he's searching for employment and help him give something to the community and donors. If we can really get this going, it could be a wonderful community project. This will be our War of the Burning Sky!
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »
sounds interesting. i'm always willing to be wall for bouncing ideas off of, so feel free to send stuff my way. psionic related won't hurt. ^^ most of my friends call me up to ask for rp and rpg related advice, story twists, nasty traps, and more anyway. apparently i have a twisty mind.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:33:46 AM »
I is intrigued

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
It will be a seafaring adventure, set on a lost island in the equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle. (The Poseidon Trapezoid, perhaps?). The PCs are shipwrecked refugees who grew up there from childhood on, and must bring peace to the warring inhabitants of the island and uncover secrets lost to time.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
Once you have hosting for this, I'm more than happy to do the webwork for you guys - this would likely be even better than the idea I'd suggested on the other thread.  Just let me know when and a general idea for what you'd like it to turn out as, and I can take care of the wizardry in between :D

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »
We should base the actual development and writing on Min/Max, hopefully in our own subforum.

I will build a great, great wall of text. And make Mexico pay for it.

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »
I have the bare-bones of the campaign written up here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16413.msg288365#msg288365

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »
Let me know if I can help in some way!

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 07:31:45 PM »
Lycanthromancer will be in charge of writing  framework. We'll need help statting NPC later. I think we could use suggestions for memorable encounters, terrain hazards, etc, that cn be easily slotted into the adventure.

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
For current and future reference, I would prefer there to be no characters with NPC classes used in this campaign, aside from adepts, and only then because adepts are considerably better than many PC classes, and they actually get options that other classes don't. If any characters you create would be warriors, use fighter, instead. If you want experts, use factotums with appropriately chosen skills. Honestly, factotums could also sub for commoners, as well; just make them level 1 with low Int scores and agrarian skills.

Your standard D&D world is far too dangerous for anyone with NPC classes. Even racial humanoid HD are better than most of them, so there's no reason why anyone should have levels in commoner (Infested With Chickens, aside).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:59:44 PM by Lycanthromancer »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 03:27:29 AM »
Lycanthromancer will be in charge of writing  framework. We'll need help statting NPC later. I think we could use suggestions for memorable encounters, terrain hazards, etc, that cn be easily slotted into the adventure.

I do a lot of monster design...

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 03:08:39 AM »
How are you with maps?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 03:11:04 AM »
How are you with maps?

woefully inexperienced

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 03:15:19 AM »
Monsters it is! Looks like we'll start off with goblins, predatory flora and fungi, and evil aberrations sacrificing sentient beings to dark gods. (If you've seen the Republican debates, you know what to do.)

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:33:04 AM »
What type of map-making are you looking for, battlemap/dungeons or islands/world maps?
Because I have a fair amount of experience with the latter.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
We'll definately need the latter. I figure we can use a battle map generator ir graph paper for the former?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 03:03:51 PM »
Monsters it is! Looks like we'll start off with goblins, predatory flora and fungi, and evil aberrations sacrificing sentient beings to dark gods. (If you've seen the Republican debates, you know what to do.)

what levels of each you looking for?

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
Things appropriate for levels 3-6 for now

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
lemme scroll through the stuff ive already done for what may be appropriate and ill post links here.  Will then move on to making new stuff is not applicable.  I do have an entire subforum for goblinoid stuff (some of which badly needs revising).