Author Topic: Thought Magic [magic system, base classes, & feats]  (Read 18955 times)

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
Re: Thought Magic [magic system, base classes, & feats]
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2020, 08:26:21 PM »
No worries. When you're ready, I'm excited to see what you think. 5th and 6th level is when this system gets really nuts.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
Level 5 Ideas

A house divided says "immediately attack their allies" but then it lasts for 2 rounds.  Is it meant to have the targets attack their allies during their normal turns?

Crystal Clarity is another weird meta one and it also lets you see through everyone's clothes.

Final Cut - I'm not a big fan off introducing handedness when that's not a part of the core rules.  I actually remember writing up some very clean text for this kind of thing as part of another project but I can't find it anywhere.

"You summon a huge aquatic beast that’s a metaphor for the government or something."   :lmao

So Crazy It Just Might Work is just insane.  I don't even know how to feel about this.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2020, 06:29:39 AM »
A house divided says "immediately attack their allies" but then it lasts for 2 rounds.  Is it meant to have the targets attack their allies during their normal turns?
Good catch. I specified that it happens on their turns (also I changed it to only 1 round because it seemed too strong).

Crystal Clarity is another weird meta one and it also lets you see through everyone's clothes.
It was mostly me flailing and trying to close up all the loopholes. Hopefully it's fine. Also yes, I suppose it does.

Final Cut - I'm not a big fan off introducing handedness when that's not a part of the core rules.  I actually remember writing up some very clean text for this kind of thing as part of another project but I can't find it anywhere.

Is the debuff unnecessary? I wanted to make losing an arm have a meaningful impact, whereas at the moment, unless the target wields a weapon two-handed, it's not close to as bad as losing a leg. But then again, enemies that wield weapons one-handed probably use their other hand for something, so it might be fine without the -4.

"You summon a huge aquatic beast that’s a metaphor for the government or something."   :lmao
I had a lot of fun writing that. In case it's not obvious, most of the Philosopher's idea names are bad puns on philosophy texts. The class features, too - Kant had a trilogy called The Critique of Practical Reason, The Critique of Pure Reason, and the The Critique of Judgment. I don't know anything about philosophy or anything, I just like wordplay.

So Crazy It Just Might Work is just insane.  I don't even know how to feel about this.
I looked at it again and realized it was super broken. Those 3 effects on their own could've been, respectively, a 4th-level, 6th-level, and 9th-level spell. So I nerfed it substantially. Now the items don't switch, the appearance swap is an illusion, and instead of thinking they're you, they're just not allowed to communicate with their allies. Also the saves are all Will now because that makes the most sense.

An unrelated question - I'm thinking of increasing the ideas known progression. Maybe to 8 ideas of each level known by the end instead of 6. The current progression seems very restrictive, where there are fewer ideas known than prepared. It doesn't leave much room for more niche ideas. What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:32:53 AM by TheGeometer »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2020, 12:11:07 AM »
I'm typing on the phone so won't do a quote pyramid.

Crystal Clarity is so oddball that I don't have any idea how to think about it from a balance perspective. Also I don't know why I was focused on seeing through people's clothes.  :lmao

Final Cut - If you want a debuff for the arm being gone and not being able to use the arm to hold a weapon/shield/whatever isn't enough, you could always go with the optional rules on page 27 of the DMG.

I haven't played attention to philosophy since high school so I missed all the philosophy references.

So Crazy It Just Might Work is now oddball instead of outright gonzo. Much better.

Honestly I'm not sure what the best way to go with idea progression would be. I don't like traditional spellcasting so I don't play traditional casters which means that it's harder for me to know what a good balance for that spellcasting equivalence from a class features perspective.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2020, 04:19:35 AM »
So Crazy It Just Might Work is now oddball instead of outright gonzo.

You have the best adjectives :)

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about ideas known progressions. Let me know when you get through level 6.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2020, 11:50:04 AM »
So Crazy It Just Might Work is now oddball instead of outright gonzo.

You have the best adjectives :)

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about ideas known progressions. Let me know when you get through level 6.

I minored in English in college, I have to use that education somehow.   :lol

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
Doing a playtest, which is helping me uncover some stuff. I just fixed a bunch of ideas that could originally be played to have no effect (for instance, playing Rethink and discarding 0 cards). Now none of them allow that. It's a useful trick in certain cases due to Mindarrow or the Trump Card feat, but it wasn't intentional and I just wanted to make that explicit. Modify Idea also now explicitly changes the lengths of effects along with their shapes (so a 120-ft line becomes a 30-ft burst, not a 120-ft burst). Again, just a RAI misstep, though this time it was sorta game-breaking.

Not much else to say. Mostly bumping to remind Nanshork to go over the 6th-level stuff. We're so close to being done!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2020, 11:58:49 AM »
Level 6 Ideas!

Dance Number  :lmao

I have no other feedback for level 6, looks good.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
Level 6 Ideas!

Dance Number  :lmao

I have no other feedback for level 6, looks good.

Haha, nice. Dance Number's one of my favorites.

And we're done! Awesome, thanks so much for your feedback, Nanshork. You helped me find a ton of stuff that I wouldn't have caught otherwise.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2020, 06:01:23 PM »
Happy to do it, you come up with interesting systems and I like reading them.

I like the general theme of the Philopher's ideas, too bad I'll never get to play one.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2021, 05:49:59 PM »
Hey, so I just finished a campaign where one of my players was a Creative, and it inspired a few changes and a bunch more ideas. YAY! (Don't worry, you guys don't have to review the new ones, I'm a lot surer of the balance at this point anyway :p). I figured out what they're supposed to do and put their names in the changelog (first post of this thread, last spoiler), but haven't put in anything past levels 1 and 2.

The issue is, as I was typing them in, I hit the 60,000-character cap. I didn't save enough posts at the start of this thread to give every level of idea its own post. For now, I moved the level-0 ideas and did some panic-edits, but I'd like to not be so close to the cap, and I'll probably hit it again in the level 3-4 and 5-6 posts. What should I do?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2021, 05:54:53 PM »
Option #1: Ask for mod deletion of my first post which gives you another post to work with.  I'm okay with this if it happens.

Option #2: Make use of this functionality: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=17982

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
Continued: Thought Magic [magic system, base classes, & feats]
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
Trying the sticky option. What am I doing wrong? (I also tried putting the "Continued" in parentheses like in Prime's post)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:06:04 PM by TheGeometer »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2021, 10:15:22 PM »
Did you try putting the Continued in parenthesis without the : ?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2021, 10:16:43 PM »
If so, whatever Prime did might be broken due to updates or something.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2021, 11:49:50 PM »
I have confirmed it doesn't work anymore and hasn't for a while.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2021, 05:45:41 AM »
I have confirmed it doesn't work anymore and hasn't for a while.

That sucks. Then I guess we'll go with deleting your posts. I think I need the first 2 gone.

Could you report them? I feel like less justification is involved if someone asks for their own posts to be removed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:56:27 AM by TheGeometer »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2021, 01:39:57 PM »
Done although I sincerely doubt it would have mattered, it's not like this is a new type of issue.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »
Done although I sincerely doubt it would have mattered, it's not like this is a new type of issue.

Thanks!  :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2021, 07:18:32 PM »

Thanks!  :D

They're gone now if you didn't notice so you can go wild.