Author Topic: Abyss and material planes  (Read 1929 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Abyss and material planes
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
What does it take for a normal material plane to become a layer of the Abyss? I know it's not easy, but is it just a big-ass ritual, or is there something more to it?
Once a material plane does become part of the Abyss, what changes occur in it, if any?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:39:17 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Abyss and material planes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:26:40 AM »
I don't think it's ever spelled out, other than it can happen like in the case of that one portion of Arcadia that fell into Mechanus because everyone there was so much more LN than LG.  From the sound of it, it was a literal detachment of Arcadia that moved into another plane.  As such I imagine, it would come with a suitable change in atmosphere and environment.

I imagine a Silent Hill transition from the "Ethereal" plane where it is to "Hell" where it's other half is.  Or possibly more subtle than that.

For material to abyss, I imagine there's a big earthquake which breaks off a chunk of land, forming a literal island as it falls into a deep void.  It ends up floating somewhere in the abyss, still with gravity and oxygen as planes are wont to defy logic like that, and things upon it take a turn for the CE, probably warping stuff, causing chaos with the elements of the environment you have, and basically demonifying everything and everyone up to your degree of showiness.  On the material, it probably leaves a bit pit or scar where it happened with appropriate abyssal-themed changes, but not as a global effect and non-permanent (aka a tower which remains in the material is warped and distorted, but may be knocked down and rebuilt normal with no ill effect).
Mudada.

Offline dither

• Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
Re: Abyss and material planes
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
Generally speaking, a significant change to any plane should be the basis of an adventure, if not an entire campaign. If it's part of the Material Plane being absorbed into one of the Hells, it takes some kind of massive invasion or subversion exercise and the interference of one or more evil gods or archfiends. That's campaign material.

Epic levels is where that sort of thing usually comes in, but it really depends on the size of the plane that's changing, and which other plane it's going to -- it's very easy to affect the Outer Planes (they're a lot more mutable) and the closer you get to the Prime Material Plane, the more difficult it becomes to get anything done.

That's sort of why the Powers That Be want to control the Material Plane so badly. It's hard to change.

--Dither
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com