Author Topic: RAW Campaign benefits  (Read 11406 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
RAW Campaign benefits
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »
I'm looking for source-legal, permanent benefits that have no cost in gold pieces for characters who partake various WotC adventures/campaigns. Things I've found so far:

2) Elder Evils has Ragnorra [ElE98] whose strong sign (when the comet is visible) gives Twisted Life which if you fail checks to allow HD corruption gives the Aberration type along with darkvision 60', +2con & -4cha. Must be LA+0 since “All other characteristics of the creature remain unchanged.” Note that

1) Warp Touch is another of my pet favorites, which is RAW able to be gained by spamming Planeshift into the raw chaos limbo (assuming you can survive it)

0) Lastly, one of my other fun finds that was the campaign-specific Altar of the Dragon Eye [EotLQ10]. It doesn't really count because it is a magic location, but just broken so it doesn't list a cost. RAW it costs nothing but only works once. It gives the Aberrant Dragonmark feat as a bonus feat. If your DM insists on counting the benefit against WBL, it would be betwen 2-4k

So who's got a third? I'm sure there are tons of those little benefits for other adventures. If you list something that has a cost, it doesn't count.

Edit: I did. "Dungeon Magazine 153's 6th page of Touch of Madness has an artifact called Tears of Ioun that with exposure (but not ownership) gives the Aberrant Blood feat to humanoids"

Oops, I did it again: 5th level characters can, after a (bardic) knowledge check be only 1 greater teleport away from the Basin of Deadly Dust which has a nonmagical fine-sized construct dust that "requires one month of exposure. These creatures are known as tain-touched, and their natural armor bonus increases by 4." [Sand202]

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Re: RAW Campaign benefits
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Only looking for adventures?

Well, I know one of the Living Eberron RPGA modules had a magical location with a benefit.  I'd have to look it up to tell you want it was, though.

Where does your number 2 come from?

EDIT: Another is from the adventure Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave.  It has a magical location that is "broken" and requires a saving throw if you pass through it.  If you survive, then you get to activate the Dark Template upon yourself for... 10 minutes? ... each day.  It prices the value at something like 8k gp.  Multiple trips through gave you multiple uses per day.  It implies that many of the foes in the adventure had passed through it so many times that they had permanently gained the Dark Template.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:10:37 PM by ksbsnowowl »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »
There are a pair of altars of the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde module that allow an evil Cleric to prepare spells from a specific school as though they were one level lower (and this explicitly allows access to spells that are normally one level above what the Cleric can normally prepare and cast) at the low cost of DC 20 Will save or get a negative level for 24 hours (and, y'know, having to come back to the altar to re-prepare the spells next time). The two altars are in L16 (Necromancy) and T21 (Divination).

Slaughtergarde also has 4 PrCs and a pair of affiliations (the Luminous Order and the Ebon Cabal). The affiliations don't have any notable benefits, just a couple of magic items and access to the PrCs. The PrCs aren't much to write about, although one of them has a no save confusion effect, and another has a few minor but interesting caster benefits like free Silent Spell on everything 2+ levels before your maximum at the cost of losing a caster level at 1st.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
There are a pair of altars of the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde module that allow an evil Cleric to prepare spells from a specific school as though they were one level lower (and this explicitly allows access to spells that are normally one level above what the Cleric can normally prepare and cast) at the low cost of DC 20 Will save or get a negative level for 24 hours (and, y'know, having to come back to the altar to re-prepare the spells next time). The two altars are in L16 (Necromancy) and T21 (Divination).

Slaughtergarde also has 4 PrCs and a pair of affiliations (the Luminous Order and the Ebon Cabal). The affiliations don't have any notable benefits, just a couple of magic items and access to the PrCs. The PrCs aren't much to write about, although one of them has a no save confusion effect, and another has a few minor but interesting caster benefits like free Silent Spell on everything 2+ levels before your maximum at the cost of losing a caster level at 1st.
Do those altars give us early-access into anything? Is there anything that requires Level-X Necromancy / Level-X Divination spells?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »

Do those altars give us early-access into anything? Is there anything that requires Level-X Necromancy / Level-X Divination spells?

The spells are one level lower (like a reverse Heighten, or Sanctum Spell outside your sanctum) for all purposes, not just the spell slot used. That includes effective spell level, save DCs, etc. So you never actually get to cast higher level spells than normal, you just get existing spells at a lower level than they would normally be. If a class asked you to cast a specific spell (ex: Animate Dead), you'd get early entry, but not if it asked you to cast spells of a given level.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

The spells are one level lower (like a reverse Heighten, or Sanctum Spell outside your sanctum) for all purposes, not just the spell slot used. That includes effective spell level, save DCs, etc. So you never actually get to cast higher level spells than normal, you just get existing spells at a lower level than they would normally be. If a class asked you to cast a specific spell (ex: Animate Dead), you'd get early entry, but not if it asked you to cast spells of a given level.
Ah, now I understand. There we go, thanks.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
Only looking for adventures?
No, but I am looking for the sort of things that you can't just buy (like most magical locations) because you have to adventure to get the benefits.

The elder evils example is a really good example. You can opt for a 'boost' with a boon attached but only if you are in a campaign with said elder evil (or your DM allows plane shifting to its next target...)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »
Fiendish Codex 2, page 52, magical location (which is in Hell), the Shriver.  It's a torture device, and you have to make two saves each round (2 Fort or 2 Will, whichever of your saves is worse). If you make both saves, you gain an ability and can attempt to endure another round to gain another ability. It also deals 2d20 damage to you each round, and the DC 15 save goes up by 1 for every five points of damage you took the previous round.

The abilities gained for staying in each round:
1. cannot be shaken.
2. can’t be frightened or nauseated.
3. can’t be panicked or sickened, and gain a bonus on Fortitude saves.
4. can't become confused or fatigued and gain regeneration 1 overcome by good and chaotic weapons.
5. can't become exhausted and gain a bonus on Will saves.
6. if disabled, you can make either a full-round action each round, or a move action and a standard action, and your regeneration increases to 2.
7. barkskin 1/day as a spell-like ability (caster level 5th) and regeneration increases to 3.
8. regeneration increases to 5.
9. make a concentration check to divert healing spells (within 100 feet) to you instead of the intended recipient.

It only lasts 99 days unless you recharge it by performing evil acts. It is valued at 30,000 gp.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:52:04 PM by ksbsnowowl »

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »
Or lawful acts.

I've always liked that location. But you can plane shift/make the saves/buy it. So a DM who allows you to spend WBL on whatever won't say "But we haven't adventured there yet!". The elder evils example however...

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »
Or lawful acts.

I've always liked that location. But you can plane shift/make the saves/buy it. So a DM who allows you to spend WBL on whatever won't say "But we haven't adventured there yet!". The elder evils example however...
True enough.  How many players would actually know of such an obscure reference, though?  Heck, most D&D players don't even know about Pazuzu.

The Failed Shadow Gate (the aforementioned location that gives the Dark template for 10 minutes per day) is actually priced at 5,000gp in value.  This puts it at about half the cost of the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, though the Collar's benefits can be broken into 1-minute chunks, and the Shadow Gate is just a flat 10 minutes once per day.  Granted, you can't buy it, per se, but the DM will likely account for it in your wealth.

It's late. I'll try to look up that Eberron RPGA magical location in the morning.

Edit: Eberron: Mark of Heroes
Desolate Endeavor
Gain access to a spellward of arcane might
(1/year, ability functions for 30 days; can freely quicken 3rd level or lower spells, turning standard action spells into swift actions, a few times per day.)
Valued at 9k gp.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:45:09 AM by ksbsnowowl »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »
I think Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil has a graft machine in it.  Not sure whether or not these are the same grafts you can buy elsewhere.  Plus, it'll turn you evil.  But it's there.

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
God, the Shriver is amazing for Tainted Sorcerers, since the recharge condition happens automatically... they just have to cast 9 evil spells in 99 days.  And yet all their spells are evil, so no worries at all.

I need to go there!

JaronK

Offline Forumowicz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
The Shriver is fantastic, indeed. It is the best way to get real regeneration from what I know. I mean this makes ring of regeneration priced at 90k a joke as it doesn't even grant regeneration. Sure it was a silly magic item anyway but Shriver ultimately killed it.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
Like... what? This?

MONSTER MANUAL 2
Poison (Ex): Forest giants coat their arrows with poison (Fortitude save DC 22). The initial and secondary damage is the same (unconsciousness for 4d4 rounds).

I So DESPERATELY want to put this on my Big list of poisons, but I CAN'T. It has no price! So you can only get it by killing Forest Giants. But that is some KILLER sleep poison. Best around.

Actually, You know what? I don't allow anything from Dragon Magazine, but if there are any "official" published modules (I looked through what I have.) that have any Custom Weapons or Custom Spells or Unique Magic Weapons that never saw reprint, either post it here or toss me a PM. Always looking to see if I missed anything.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
What about The Sunless Citadel and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil?

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
Return to the Temple Of Elemental Evil
(click to show/hide)

(spoilered just in case)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »
MOI has a "Lost" site, that if you do the whatever
thingy, you add the Lost Template.  Easy enough
to say the rules don't make you into an NPC.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
Captnq there are plenty of dungeon modules...

That RttToEE is great! How might the players come across said artifact?

The Lost site actually looks pretty good and doesn't seem that far off for an LA+0 template (-6 int? Ouch!). It reminds me of spells that grant templates, though those all are for templates with assigned LA. Precedent anyone?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Captnq there are plenty of dungeon modules...

That RttToEE is great! How might the players come across said artifact?

The Lost site actually looks pretty good and doesn't seem that far off for an LA+0 template (-6 int? Ouch!). It reminds me of spells that grant templates, though those all are for templates with assigned LA. Precedent anyone?

Ah.

I guess what I'm looking for is a list of Modules that were published under WotC, not under WotC licence (ie dragon, dragonlance, etc). I have reviewed all the Forgotten realms and Eberron Modules. I have found no special spells or weapons that were not reproduced in other volumes. If there is a spell/weapon/special material/poison/WSA/Armor/ASA that is in a module that is not one of those, that meets my qualifications, I'd love to know.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 12:03:41 AM »
i believe my listing of official content lists all the 3.x adventure modules.

if one is missing, let me know. ^^