Author Topic: Optimization Challenge: Dispater and the Iron Siege  (Read 68460 times)

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Optimization Challenge: Dispater and the Iron Siege
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
What bypasses Dispater's regeneration?
Anarchic, epic, good and silver as well as spells with the [Good] descriptor.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
Are we still allowed custom artifacts? In the WoTC board witch approved a few of them.

What would be the cost to add a effect similar to:
Phylactery Transference (Su)
Headbands, belts, rings, cloaks, and other wearable items kept in close association with the demilich’s phylactery transfer all their benefits to the demilich no matter how far apart the demilich and the phylactery are located.

To an artifact?

What bypasses Dispater's regeneration?
What pages does each chapter of the Gate of Hell start on?

I'm not sure of the cost for those items, you'll have to calculate them using the MiC, the SRD, and artificer's guides. It depends on the spells, caster level, activation type, etc.

As for the chapters, Chapter Nine starts on 323 I believe. Whatever the page number, it should be clear (there is a big page between each chapter saying Chapter X: ________)
There is no formula that I know of that adding a special ability that isn't a spell or a stat bonus, so the price is ad hoc.
So what do you think being able to use magic items without them being on your direct person would be worth?

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
  • Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »
There is no formula that I know of that adding a special ability that isn't a spell or a stat bonus, so the price is ad hoc.
So what do you think being able to use magic items without them being on your direct person would be worth?

Enormous amounts of money, since it means they can't be dispelled, disjoined, or otherwise neutralized. Can I get an explanation of what you have in mind? My DM sense is tingling.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »
Enormous amounts of money, since it means they can't be dispelled, disjoined, or otherwise neutralized. Can I get an explanation of what you have in mind? My DM sense is tingling.

Disjoined already take care of by Esoteric Aegis. Dispelling is difficult already. The reason is Witch said the the divine immunity to anti-magic fields doesn't extend to cover their items. On of the dirty tricks Dispater has used in earlier challenges was to change the planar traits to have all spells be effect by one of the metamagic feats that gives the [evil] descriptor, and then ban all [evil] subschool spells. Using a planar bubble spell is one way to get around this, but you need to effect already up.

Does anyone have a link to the Feanmerc Spell System for using exisiting spells as bases for making epic versions?

Is using a Metamind and Temporal reiteration considered an infinite loop?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:59:06 PM by Shadowmind »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
Disjoined already take care of by Esoteric Aegis. Dispelling is difficult already. The reason is Witch said the the divine immunity to anti-magic fields doesn't extend to cover their items. On of the dirty tricks Dispater has used in earlier challenges was to change the planar traits to have all spells be effect by one of the metamagic feats that gives the [evil] descriptor, and then ban all [evil] subschool spells. Using a planar bubble spell is one way to get around this, but you need to effect already up.
That was a classic. Even I considered that on occasion. But why would you be afraid of antimagic field? They are small and if that gets near you, you simply know someone of relative importance is bound to be near.

Does anyone have a link to the Feanmerc Spell System for using exisiting spells as bases for making epic versions?
Feanmerc system has never been allowed though. Maybe I mistook your meaning.

Is using a Metamind and Temporal reiteration considered an infinite loop?
Isn't that exactly what it is?
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
That was a classic. Even I considered that on occasion. But why would you be afraid of antimagic field? They are small and if that gets near you, you simply know someone of relative importance is bound to be near.

The number of defenses that are lost from a well place antimagi field, and being up against more than 1 opponent so they can take advantage of the reduced defense become reaction is possible.

Does anyone have a link to the Feanmerc Spell System for using existing spells as bases for making epic versions?
Feanmerc system has never been allowed though. Maybe I mistook your meaning.
As the original rulings:
Feanmerc Spell System: No (11), Yes as guidlines for new seeds (29).
Typo in of guidelines in original ruling.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
Dispater doesn't really have minions to take anyone out before he can step out of an AMF. I suppose it never hurts to be sure.

About Feanmerc: I figured I misunderstood you, sorry 'bout that.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »
Dispater doesn't really have minions to take anyone out before he can step out of an AMF. I suppose it never hurts to be sure.

About Feanmerc: I figured I misunderstood you, sorry 'bout that.

Yeah it is not like Dispator has a bunch of other devils under is command which several of which are caster/manifesters, and there isn't one that is good at manipulating time.

Does Automatic metamagc SDA apply to SLA's?
What is the list of Portfolio options for deities?
What exactly can be done with the Deity Swift Actions?
I feel like the version of TGoH that I got is missing some editing.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
Yeah it is not like Dispator has a bunch of other devils under is command which several of which are caster/manifesters, and there isn't one that is good at manipulating time.
Name one apart from Merorem that is of any use against the challengers that have been thrown into this challenge? Try using any of those to harm the kind of optimization monsters that have taken part and tell me they are real threats.

No, you need a separate SDA for that.

There is no list.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »
What exactly can be done with the Deity Swift Actions?
I feel like the version of TGoH that I got is missing some editing.

Like Tshern said, besides Merorem, and maybe Titivilus, what minions does Dispater have that could even scratch anything that's gone through the Iron Tower? Anything lower than a Duke is essentially useless.

Swift actions: The thing swift actions usually do

What do you mean? What do you feel is missing?
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Shadowmind

• There is no text here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »
Like Tshern said, besides Merorem, and maybe Titivilus, what minions does Dispater have that could even scratch anything that's gone through the Iron Tower? Anything lower than a Duke is essentially useless.

Swift actions: The thing swift actions usually do

What do you mean? What do you feel is missing?

Thing's like what bypasses Dispater's regeneration, like can a Deity have has her portfolio, how many things a Diety can have in her portfolio.

Does Multispell[epic feat, predates swift actions]allow an extra swift action spell, or just quicken spell(in regards to the deity swift actions).

Has anyone tried the challenge with a epic Bard that has Music of the Gods[epic feat]?

Would you consider a epic power that duplicates Fusion, but with duration set to 24 hours? Or Effected more than 2 beings?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:41:55 PM by Shadowmind »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
Thing's like what bypasses Dispater's regeneration
Read the Lord of the Nine template. As said, anarchic, epic, silver and good weapon as well as spells with the [Good] descriptor.

like can a Deity have has her portfolio
No such list exists.

how many things a Diety can have in her portfolio.
No such text exists.

Does Multispell[epic feat, predates swift actions]allow an extra swift action spell, or just quicken spell(in regards to the deity swift actions).
Deific portfolio related swift actions don't allow spellcasting anyway, so worry not.

Has anyone tried the challenge with a epic Bard that has Music of the Gods[epic feat]?
No.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »
There is no list.

Just make whatever you want. Like a god of were-platypuses or evil gelatinous hippos. The list is endless
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
Would you consider a epic power that duplicates Fusion, but with duration set to 24 hours? Or Effected more than 2 beings?

No.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
@TravelLog: I could possibly be ready in a week or two. My character is pretty much done, I would need to remove some newly banned features such as Incantatrix and look over the newly allowed material. It would be nice if you could take a look at my character and see if there is anything that you don't want allowed. That said, my character build is pretty long, if you prefer I can make a post listing the different features and rulings that my build uses.

@Everyone Else: Any help pointing out flaws in my build will be appreciated.

Character
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12414.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:44:44 AM by Daniel »

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
@TravelLog: I could possibly be ready in a week or two. My character is pretty much done, I would need to remove some newly banned features such as Incantatrix and look over the newly allowed material. It would be nice if you could take a look at my character and see if there is anything that you don't want allowed. That said, my character build is pretty long, if you prefer I can make a post listing the different features and rulings that my build uses.

@Everyone Else: Any help pointing out flaws in my build will be appreciated.

Character
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8709.0

I'll definitely check it out sometime in the next couple days.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »
I accidentally linked to an outdated version of the character. I modified my comment but make sure to click on my link and not the one in your quote.

Would you approve Dragonsight (Draconomicon)? It halves distance penalties for sight and grants some other sight related bonuses.

Here is a SDA I would like approved to replace the custom Super Sneaky SDA I have. It will have no in game effect (Unless I happen to kill someone important) but I think it would add a lot of flavor.

Deific PredatorIf you permanently destroy a deity or cosmic being you may absorb their essence to gain a portion of their power. You may replace one of your Salient Divine Abilities with one of their Salient Divine or Cosmic Abilities that you meet the prerequisites for. You may not replace a Salient Divine Ability that is currently being used as a prerequisite. Additionally, if their divine or cosmic rank is greater or equal to yours then you gain a divine rank.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:24:32 PM by Daniel »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
Deific PredatorIf you permanently destroy a deity or cosmic being you may absorb their essence to gain a portion of their power. You may replace one of your Salient Divine Abilities with one of their Salient Divine or Cosmic Abilities that you meet the prerequisites for. You may not replace a Salient Divine Ability that is currently being used as a prerequisite. Additionally, if their divine or cosmic rank is greater or equal to yours then you gain a divine rank.
This SDA makes no sense. It completely ignores the portfolio of the deity using it, for example a Lawful Good deity with this ability could just acquire Asmodeus' Overlord of Hell ability.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
This SDA makes no sense. It completely ignores the portfolio of the deity using it, for example a Lawful Good deity with this ability could just acquire Asmodeus' Overlord of Hell ability.

I would assume that Overlord of Hell has some kind of prerequisites even if they are not listed. That said, being tainted (or other affected) by power that you take is a longstanding theme in fiction. I think that if a Lawful Good deity defeated Asmodeus and decided of their own free will to absorb such a powerful and evil ability then their alignment and portfolio would probably be effected.

One deity killing another and taking part of their portfolio also is another pretty well known theme.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:27:35 PM by Daniel »

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
There still are SDAs that are incompatible with this. The Overlord of Hell works excellently for as an example here as well. The deity in question simply does not get the abilities of Asmodeus, because he killed him, he has no consent from the Overlord.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys