Author Topic: Arhosa Discussion and Notes  (Read 77121 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Arhosa Discussion and Notes
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
Tro Ar Fyd

Born of a land warped by their centuries long magic experiements, the Tro Ar Fyd are more or less the mad scientists of the Arhosan landscape, always experimenting with one aspect of the elements or another. So pervasive and overwhelming have the changes become that the Tro Ar Fyd have become partially at home in their own elements, a quite necessary change given the strange land that is their birthplace.

Personality
The various factions of the Tro Ar Fyd have taken on a little of the personality of the element that is most inherent within them, some being as stolid as the earth, others being flighty and passionate. On the whole, they are as variable and as prone to individual differences as any collection of humans.

Physical Description
Like their personality, the physical nature of the Tro Ar Fyd tends to take after the element with which they are associated, although in general the Tro Ar Fyd tend to look like small, hyperactive bundles, humanoid in shape but swaddled in layers of clothing to cope with the various climates that can occur on a daily basis.

Relations
Tro Ar Fyd are regarded with a fair amount of suspicion by all the other races of Arhosa, not so much because of any evil inherent in their nature, but rather the wildly unpredictable nature of their magic and their experiments. As such, almost everyone else in Arhosa prefers it if they stay within their homeland, and during the Arhosan Empire, this was strictly enforced. Since the collapse, it is not, but Tro Ar Fyd roaming across other lands often find themselves treated... harshly.

Religion
The Tro Ar Fyd pay a sort of general lip service to religion, not out of any abiding dislike for it (they're quite religious when reminded), but rather out of an absent-minded forgetfulness that leaves them entirely focused on their experiments and the next big discovery.

Language
Tro Ar Fyd speak their own language and Trade Common equally, and often others well.

Adventurers
There are many reasons to see a Tro Ar Fyd in the field adventuring, but most of them have something to do with the next big experiment, or with trying to find new and unique sources of magical energy or elementally connected locations. The downside to being a Tro Ar Fyd adventurer is that no one else wants to be anywhere near one. Often violently so.

Common Tro Ar Fyd Racial Traits
-2 Strength, -2 Wisdom
Elemental: Tro Ar Fyd are elemental creatures, and have that racial type. They do not gain any benefits of the racial type except those listed here.
Small: Tro Ar Fyd gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Tro Ar Fyd base land speed is 20 feet.
Eyes in the Night: The Tro Ar Fyd has Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Elemental Traits: Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, critical hits and flanking. Unlike most other living creatures, the Tro Ar Fyd does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When it is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on the Tro Ar Fyd. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
Elemental Cloak: Each Tro Ar Fyd gains access to a benefit based on their racial history. They can use this benefit for a number of rounds a day equal to their character level, and these rounds do not need to be used consecutively. It is a free action to turn it on or off.
Automatic Languages: Tro Ar Fyd, Trade Common. Bonus Languages: TBD.
Favored Class: Arcanist.

Air Tro Ar Fyd Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity: Quite intelligent and skilled with their hands, the Tro Ar Fyd tend to be weak due to their stature, certainly have no common sense, and are disliked by almost every other race.
A +1 bonus on saving throws against all spells and effects with the Air or Electricity descriptors, and a +1 bonus per dice to Electrical damage.
Dustcloak: The Tro Ar Fyd gains a +10 ft. bonus to his movement speed. He may also take a 10 ft. step in place of a 5 ft. step.  At character level 9, this increases to a +20 ft. bonus.

Earth Tro Ar Fyd Racial Traits
+2 Constitution: Tougher than their racial brethren, the slower natures of the earth-aligned gives them a moment to think on matters before acting. It's quite handy.
A +1 bonus on saving throws against all spells and effects with the Earth or Acid descriptors, and a +1 bonus per dice to Acid damage.
Stonecloak: The Tro Ar Fyd gains DR 5/adamantium.  At character level 9, this increases to 10/adamantium.

Fire Tro Ar Fyd Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity: More charming and personable than the others, it does little more than make up for the hatred suffered from other races.
A +1 bonus on saving throws against all spells and effects with the Fire descriptor, and a +1 bonus per dice to Fire damage.
Flamecloak: The Tro Ar Fyd deals 1 fire damage per character level to any creature who strikes him in melee, and does not use a reach weapon.  At character level 9, this increases to 2 fire damage per level.

Water Tro Ar Fyd Racial Traits
+2 Constitution: Able to easily survive within the depths of the dark, these Tro Ar Fyd are quite resilient.
A +1 bonus on saving throws against all spells and effects with the Water or Cold descriptors, and a +1 bonus per dice to Cold damage.
Mistcloak: Any attack targeting the Tro Ar Fyd has a 20% miss chance. At character level 9, this increases to a 50% miss chance.

How does that look as an updated Tro At Fyd race?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »
Much more streamlined, I like it.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Much more streamlined, I like it.

Updated the race page.

Hmm... now what to fix?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
Spellsong and Osteomancy were the big ones on the list that I made you hold off on until we got Spellseeds sorted out.  Since the rules are sorted out we can start working on one/both of those.  I haven't looked at Seeds comprehensively yet so they might need a little work but that shouldn't hold anything up.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 15, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
Updated the list, since it was horribly outdated. That look about sane?

Non-Arhosan stuff on there is things like more "Horde" classes and Wasteland material, but that's less necessary.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 15, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »
Your to do list is bigger than mine.  :P

Any place in particular you're motivated to start?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
Probably the campaign setting itself. Feel free to add if there's anything missing from the list.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »
Offhand I can't think of anything to add except bringing Echocaller and Random Rune Man up to snuff.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:26 AM »
Harm's Way
Prerequisites: BAB +1
Benefits: A character can elect to place himself in the path of danger to protect a single ally, called his charge. Anytime the character is within 5 feet of his charge, and the charge is subject to an attack, the character can elect to switch places with her and take the attack in her place (the two physically switch spaces). The character must declare his intent to switch places with his charge before the attack roll is made. A charge can be selected as a free action when the character rolls initiative at the beginning of a combat and cannot be changed for the duration of that combat. The character can only use this ability if his charge is up to one category larger than he is.

Defensive Strike
Prerequisites: Harm's Way
Benefits: A character can make an attack of opportunity against an adjacent opponent who attacks his charge in melee. The character is still limited to one attack of opportunity per round, unless he has the Combat Reflexes feat. He gains a +1 bonus on this attack for every four character levels.

Deflect Attack
Prerequisites: Harm's Way
Benefits: The character can attempt to parry a melee attack against his charge. To attempt this, he must be within 5 feet of his charge, aware of the impending attack, not flat-footed, and holding a melee weapon or shield capable of deflecting the attack. Once per round when his charge would normally be hit with a melee weapon, the character can make a Reflex save (DC 20 + attacking weapon's magic enhancement bonus [if any]). If he succeeds, he deflects the blow as a free action, rendering it harmless.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:53:08 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2017, 10:11:27 AM »
The feat chain feels pretty meh, but all bodyguard feat chains feel meh to me.

The size restriction grammar in Harm's Way feels weird.  I'd say something like, "The character can only use this ability if his charge is up to one category larger than he his."  The way it's written now feels like a shorthand of "one size category larger than he is or one size category smaller."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 18, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
Feats seem easy.  I'll do the general feats now.

Agreement might do to much.  Among other things the stacking of all classes, even ones who don't grant you points of any kind, seems overboard.  The same with Unison.

Burn the Flesh needs a close parenthesis.

I'm assuming that Martial Fusillades have a minimum cost general rule the way the new seed rules do?

Do you have gateway creation rules finalized?

Mageborn Armor makes me happy.

Masked Thoughts has traditionally high level effects.

Mental Health makes me feel that Spellcasting should be a feat tag.

Naked Frenzy should probably have the word "charges" as fluff text unless the feat requires taking the charge action.

I just realized that you don't have a base class with Sneak Attack.  Any reason your sneak attack feats don't work with Skirmish which is also precision damage?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
The reason agreement/unison got boosted like that was a suggestion from Garryl to do so.

Burn the flesh is fixed

Fusillades have the same minimum 1 rule that seeds do.

Gateways have been done for ages

To me, masked thoughts is mostly a flavor feat, since it doesn't stop the effects of anti-alignment attacks (you get smited as an evil person, you're still getting the extra damage).

Mental Health - Maybe? I mostly just assume that that's any feat that increases your spellcasting or other ability (like Necro, Ritual, etc)

Naked Frenzy - I'll adjust so it doesn't reference a combat action

Sneak Attack - The gallant originally had sneak attack. When I rebuilt it, I moved it over to Skirmish as more appropriate. Hence the disconnect. Not 100% sure I like some of the Sneak attack feats either (all elemental damage, etc).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
For Mental Health, you have to remember that people will end up using the material in games that you aren't the DM of.  Tags simplify things in that case.

I don't think I ever actually looked at Gateways then.

Any ideas about what you'll do to the sneak attack feats?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2017, 06:55:39 AM »
Chuck a few, probably, maybe rewrite the rest?

I looked at creating an ACF for the Gallant using Sneak Attack, but it's not really possible. Too much relies on the skirmish movement/effects.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 21, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
Bodyguard

"A short step, and I shall be far and away."
– Kilgrae the Disappearing, Bodyguard

Text

Becoming a Bodyguard
Text

Table 1: The Bodyguard
Hit Die: d12

Code: [Select]
Level  BAB    Ref   Fort  Will   Special Abilities                      Fusillades           
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
  1    +1     +2    +2    +2     Defensive Strike, Protector's Focus    +1 Fusillades
  2    +2     +3    +3    +3     Deflect Attack, Unharmed               +1 Fusillades
  3    +3     +3    +3    +3     Eternal Vigilance, Protector's Focus   +1 Fusillades

Class skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all but Arcana, Religion, The Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex), Warcraft (Int).

Requirements:
Skills: Spot 6, Listen 6, Tumble 6
Feats: Harm's Way, Combat Reflexes

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Bodyguard.
  • Fusillades: The Bodyguard increases all martial fusillades as if the character had gained a level in the appropriate class at each indicated level.
  • Defensive Strike (Ex): You gain Defensive Strike as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat, choose another for which you meet the prerequisites.
  • Protector's Focus (Ex): When entering a protector's focus, the Bodyguard gains +4 Dex and fast healing equal to his class level. In addition, his charge (see Harm's Way) is affected by a shield other spell that lasts for the duration of the Protector's Focus. Entering Protector's Focus is an immediate or swift action that can be done once per encounter, and lasts for one round per class level plus one round of wisdom modifier. At 3rd level, the benefits increase to +6 Dex, and you may transfer your hit points to your charge as a move action. Transferred hit points are damage to you. Your charge takes your transferred hit points as if receiving a cure wounds spell and cannot gain more hit points than its maximum allows; any excess points are lost. This transfers only actual hit points, not temporary hit points.
  • Deflect Attack (Ex): You gain Deflect Attack as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat, choose another for which you meet the prerequisites.
  • Unharmed (Ex): You gain Unharmed as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat, choose another for which you meet the prerequisites.
  • Eternal Vigilance (Ex): If you are reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by an effect that otherwise leaves your body intact, as long as you are adjacent to your charge and your charge has 1 or more hit points, you remain conscious and can continue to act. You can use this ability even if your hit point total is —10 or lower. If your body is destroyed (such as by disintegrate), then you cannot act. If you receive healing that leaves you with more than —10 hit points, you survive (or fall unconscious, as appropriate to your new hit point total) when you stop using this ability. Otherwise, death overtakes you when you are no longer adjacent to your charge or your charge falls.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:54:31 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 21, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »
On Mental Health, if you don't want to implement tags just be more specific about what a Spellcasting feat is and that should be good enough (I still like tags though, every other system with feats like that use tags :p).

Eternal vigilance has an unfinished first sentence: "continue to act for."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 21, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
I probably need tags, and to collect all my spellcasting feats from various feat threads

Fixed issue

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
Updated Kier to fix a minor issue Avalon pointed out on Discord.

What would you say to all feats being tagged?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:33 PM »
I would say HOORAY ORGANIZATION!

I like things being organized if you didn't notice. :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
Slayer
Slayers are champions who have no compunction about ending a fight in whatever way possible as quickly as possible, including stabbing people in the back, tripping them, kicking them while they are down, or any other number of underhanded techniques that will end a fight immediately.

The champion reduces his hit dice to d8s, his Will save to a weak save, and loses his Forte and Specialization class features. In return, he gains +1d6 sneak attack at every odd level, up to a maximum of +10d6 at 19th class level. He may also select Ambush feats for his bonus feats.