Author Topic: I Need Some Help. Please Read.  (Read 19845 times)

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
I Need Some Help. Please Read.
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:34:45 AM »
Dear Minmaxers.

Lately, things have taken a drastic turn for the worse.

I just lost my job, which was the only thing keeping me afloat, and I just don't know what to do anymore. I've been looking for a different, less stressful job for months, and there's nothing around here that I even remotely qualify for. I'm stuck in an extremely small town, with no car, no family, and no way out.

I don't know what to do anymore.

The stress of my situation has been building steadily, and I've worked myself to tatters trying to deal with it. I had a few months where things seemed to be getting better, but that was apparently the cliff-edge before the abyss. It's taken a severe toll on my health.

Along with the mounting stress, I've been suffering from a steadily worse depression over the course of the last two years, along with declining physical health and a host of attendant problems, including headaches, anxiety, insomnia to the point where I go weeks without sleep, constant exhaustion, low blood pressure and bouts of stress-induced hypoglycemia, blackouts, and stabbing chest pains when my stress reaches a particularly high point.

Even doing the smallest things is extremely difficult. I feel like I've been drugged, and my ability to think has crashed and burned. It's so hard to try to dig yourself out of a hole when it takes everything you've got just to get out of bed in the morning or fix something to eat. I got an impossibly rare burst of motivation to even write this, and my brain is so doped up on its own stress chemicals that I'm not entirely sure if it's coherent. I'll have someone look over it so it at least makes sense.

Suicidal thoughts are nothing new, but I've always had enough strength to resist them. But it's getting to the point where they're actually starting to look attractive, and that scares the hell out of me.

I've tried going to see a doctor, but they want to dope me up with drugs, and I've had horrible reactions with every depression med I've ever tried, up to and including a coma that lasted three full days. But honestly? I don't need drugs, I need a break. Anyone subjected to enough stress will crumble, and stress is not a "disorder" that can be treated.

I've tried fixing this on my own, but it's just not enough. I just keep falling farther and farther behind.

I'm ashamed to have to do this, but I don't see any other way. I don't like handouts, but I don't want to become homeless (or worse), either, which is looking like a distinct possibility.

I'm desperate, and I really, really, really, really need your help.

I'll be frank. I need money. I need enough to pay off some old bills, enough to buy a car so I can get out of this tiny town, and enough to set up elsewhere and live on for awhile while I recuperate from the stress I've been under for the past few years, not to mention look for a job or alternative source of income.

I've set up a gofundme account at http://gofundme.com/d84a3tjs

With any luck (and lots of help), I'll be able to use this to get myself in a position to fix several things in my life that have been weighing me down for a long time. And that will make it easier to start building myself up again, rather than just bailing myself out of the hole I'm in.

Please spread the word to the people you know. Facebook, Twitter, whatever. Anyplace you think you can reach receptive ears.

Any ideas you have which might help my situation are appreciated, as well.

And no matter what else happens, thank you everyone, from the bottom of my heart. No matter how much or how little you give, it's definitely appreciated, even if it's just spreading the word.

So thank you. Thank you so much.

--Garrett

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: I Need Some Help. Please Read.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
Hey Lycanthromancer. I wish I were hearingfrom you under better circumstances. Can you PM me your contact info, or call me on Skype sometime?
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
All I can send you is my well wishes but I hope you get what you need and things work out eventually.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:43:57 AM »
Hang in there.  I'm short on cash till the end of the month cause of filing bankruptcy but I'll try to send what I can.  Is there anything I can do other than money in the meantime?

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
All I can send you is my well wishes but I hope you get what you need and things work out eventually.
I appreciate the thought. I know not everyone can help, and that's fine, but if you could help spread the word around, that'd be great. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, wherever else you can think of.

There are a lot of good people around, and it's nice to know that they're willing to help out.

Hang in there.  I'm short on cash till the end of the month cause of filing bankruptcy but I'll try to send what I can.  Is there anything I can do other than money in the meantime?
Could you help advertise a bit? The more people who know, the more we can find that are willing and able to help, especially people with a large online presence that are willing to advertise.

I've got a good start, but unless I can raise enough to help me get out of this situation altogether, rather than just enough to keep me hanging on, this is only staving off the inevitable. I have about $4k I need to pay off before I can even consider buying a car, and that's not including the price of the car itself, insurance, and current bills like rent. The more people who know, the more people can help.

I hate begging for money, and I feel like a sponge, but I am trying on my end to do what I can. It's not easy, but I am trying.

Not everyone can stand on their own all the time, and when you get low enough, it's virtually impossible to dig yourself out. That's kind of where I am right now.

Regardless, thanks so much for your help. Anyone you can talk into helping, please do.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:17:02 AM by Lycanthromancer »

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
Hey Lycanthromancer. I wish I were hearing from you under better circumstances. Can you PM me your contact info, or call me on Skype sometime?
Thanks for your help yesterday, man. It's seriously appreciated.

That, and I'm glad to talk to you again. I tend to go off the radar when I start feeling bad. I just can't handle dealing with people when things get bad enough, and that has nothing to do with you and everything to do with me. It's not a healthy reaction, especially when I need to ask for help, but I need space to calm down. Problem is, I need a LOT of space to calm down, and life just doesn't let that happen.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 12:50:46 PM »
I appreciate the thought. I know not everyone can help, and that's fine, but if you could help spread the word around, that'd be great. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, wherever else you can think of.

There are a lot of good people around, and it's nice to know that they're willing to help out.

I don't know how much it will help but I've cross posted it to my thread here and I know that thread gets some views.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 03:38:20 PM »
]Could you help advertise a bit? The more people who know, the more we can find that are willing and able to help, especially people with a large online presence that are willing to advertise.

I'm not sure I qualify as a large online presence, but I'll see what I can do.  Your situation has been posted here and GitP, about the only other place I have any presence at all is Facebook, and I don't know many people there.  :(

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »
I don't know how much it will help but I've cross posted it to my thread here and I know that thread gets some views.
Thanks. I figured my initial post would be enough, but I suppose posting elsewhere as well would bring more attention to its existence.

I'm not sure I qualify as a large online presence, but I'll see what I can do.  Your situation has been posted here and GitP, about the only other place I have any presence at all is Facebook, and I don't know many people there.  :(
Well, other people you know (even tangentially) likely have large presences, like people you watch on Youtube. I've contacted a few Let's Players/Let's Watchers, and I've actually gotten a pretty decent response.

I appreciate whatever you can do. Every little bit helps.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
Hey it's Lycanthro-manc ... er

ouch  :(

Hugs , capital "H" Hugs  :hug :hug
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:49 PM »
I'm actually about to start up work on another gofundme for a family friend with a severely handicapped son - I'd be happy to do the same for you as well.  Go ahead and PM me regarding the specifics, and if you're up for it, I can get to work on it over the weekend (tomorrow if possible even).

And remember, people here care about you, regardless of anything or anywhere else.  Who else is going to take any psionic idea I might have and turn it into the mind-version of my Red Wizard? :)

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:07:48 PM by Lycanthromancer »

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:49 PM »
I'm actually about to start up work on another gofundme for a family friend with a severely handicapped son - I'd be happy to do the same for you as well.  Go ahead and PM me regarding the specifics, and if you're up for it, I can get to work on it over the weekend (tomorrow if possible even).
Well, I already have the gofundme set up. Are you talking about a publicity campaign?

And remember, people here care about you, regardless of anything or anywhere else.  Who else is going to take any psionic idea I might have and turn it into the mind-version of my Red Wizard? :)
I need to start spending more time around here. I stopped when I realized that traffic around here was at a crawling pace.

Thanks. I've kind of missed having your particular brand of insanity around.

You make D&D nerds everywhere proud.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:17:48 PM by Lycanthromancer »

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
Well, I already have the gofundme set up. Are you talking about a publicity campaign?

I need to start spending more time around here. I stopped when I realized that traffic around here was at a crawling pace.

Thanks. I've kind of missed having your particular brand of insanity around.

You make D&D nerds everywhere proud.

Kind of - I'm a WordPress guy, and for the stuff like this, a dedicated drawn out page is inefficient and unnecessary.  However, a focused wordpress.com blog is perfect, and can drive traffic to the gofundme page (and cross post to a FB group and/or Twitter account).  A blognamehere.wordpress.com site is also free, so it won't set things back out of the gate, and is a LOT easier to optimize than a gofundme page (the last one I did was just above the rankings of the GFM page for the topic, which was positions 2 and 3 on google...spot 1 was - big shock - a pharma paid add, as it was for helping someone with acute degenerative diseases and detached retinas).  I can dig up the link to it if you'd like, and this is also something I can spread on my own domain, www.stormwolfdesign.com .  At the very least, it can get it out there on several mediums at once for you.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »
I'll see what I can wrangle up - being in debt is a terrible thing.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
I think you've lost me.

My brain isn't entirely functional right now, so you'll have to forgive me being stupid at the moment.

But if you know what you're doing and can improve my odds, I'll be grateful.

I could definitely use more publicity. JSYK, there's a reason why I put the upper limit so high. If I'm going to get anywhere with this, I need to massively reduce my stress load and have time to recuperate. I feel like I'm being greedy, but I've been carrying around a lot of problems for a long time, and I'm completely fried. Not only do I need to pay off some of my financial burdens, I need time to calm down and heal. Stress is hell on both body and mind, and I've had a lot of it.

I just hope I can get enough to help me permanently get out of the downward spiral I've been in for a long time.

I'll see what I can wrangle up - being in debt is a terrible thing.
Thanks. And yes, it is.

The more donations and the more word is spread around, the better.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »
Here's the original one, that's going to be reinvigorated shortly (the other GFM I'd mentioned) https://avanforjustin.wordpress.com/

I build that wordpress blog specifically for the campaign, and also built a FB Group page and a Twitter account, all linking back to the GFM.  Anything that was posted on the blog, was spread to the other two, and all contained built in donate links.  Also, all progress on the other two accounts showed up on the website (helps trust and such, shows it's an active, legit page).

Hope that makes it a little bit more clear!

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:34:37 AM by nijineko »

Offline Lycanthromancer

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:36:04 AM by Lycanthromancer »