Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236812 times)

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 01:09:13 AM »
Hey everyone.  Undertale's a good game and you should get it if you like 90s-style RPGs and a healthy mixture of whimsical humor and mind-screw.

I don't think my explanation can do it justice, but this Boing Boing article's pretty good about it.

Your picture is Top Tem sir.  I will now pay for your college, and provide you with cardboard.
Mudada.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 01:18:19 AM »
Today I beat Undertale again, differently this time.

Such a magical game.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
Well the guy is technically making a profit off of Nintendo's IP  :tongue

In more upbeat Nintendo news, they want to make the in-game Pokemon PCs you store your extra pokemon at in real life.

Supposedly the parties were a net loss.

In any case, going after amateur fan stuff like this, as well as Nintendo's youtube debacle, is really bad PR and poison to the fans. Makes them look very out of touch. Aspiring to Disney levels of evil? We're not talking counterfeit games/merchandise for profiteering here...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
That's ridiculous. Guy didn't even have 4000$ to fork over to pay the fine, it was a fan event. Nintendo would have more to win over the promotion such events generate than they would pursuing the guy that threw the parties.

Copyright law is quickly becoming too draconian, over the fears IP holders have that the internet + new tech such as 3D printers will quickly make IP extremely obsolete.

It's ridiculous. Way, way too draconian.

What's next? Going after people that draw fan-art and use it to promote their original work for profit? Suing tattoo artists because they tattoo IP works on people's bodies at their request? I don't know where it'll end up, honestly.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
And yet all those knock-off games, like the ones in all the smartphone stores, remain untouched by these lawyers, free to make a profit from the brand name.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
Because people that actually profit from piracy are conveniently based on countries that have a bad history of cooperating with US Courts, often behind fake names & companies, and otherwise legally insulated from any actual repercussions for their actions.

If/When their app is taken down by google/apple, they already made their money, relaunch the same app, reskinned, under a different name and different company, and keep profitting. Or just take what they were able to make off with and call it a day. It's a win/win for them.

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 06:25:13 PM »
That's ridiculous. Guy didn't even have 4000$ to fork over to pay the fine, it was a fan event. Nintendo would have more to win over the promotion such events generate than they would pursuing the guy that threw the parties.

Copyright law is quickly becoming too draconian, over the fears IP holders have that the internet + new tech such as 3D printers will quickly make IP extremely obsolete.

It's ridiculous. Way, way too draconian.

What's next? Going after people that draw fan-art and use it to promote their original work for profit? Suing tattoo artists because they tattoo IP works on people's bodies at their request? I don't know where it'll end up, honestly.

You mean like how the tattoo artist who penned Mike Tyson's face sued The Hangover because one of the characters got a copy of Mike Tyson's tattoo?

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 11:36:01 PM »
People are ridiculous, if i was the judge on these kinds of cases, someone would receive a good talking to.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 01:30:38 AM »
Ubisoft used misleading advertising for Heroes of Might & Magic 7 CE and then denies refunds to customers.

Konami is now selling FOB insurance in The Phantom Pain.  Way to amp up those microtransactions, Konami!  Think I'll wait until someone inevitably hacks the system and mods the game on PC so I don't need to buy those freaking coins with actual money.

Allison Road kickstarter is cancelled.  But they have now joined Team 17 to work on their game!

Until Dawn sequel is already being planned.  Considering the success of the game, and the rave reviews, it was practically inevitable.

Head of Xbox admits PS4 has a "huge lead" over Xbone.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
I got Until Dawn. It's fun, it's gripping in the sense that you want to figure out the story, but unless you purposefully kill off every character at every turn, once you get to the reveals at the end it kinda loses its appeal.

Besides, you can't skip or even fast-forward through certain scenes, making replays VERY annoying (I had to redo the final scene four times to get the ending I wanted because of the fucking "Don't move!" events).
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 10:43:16 AM »
Guild Wars 2 makes me happy.  ^^  Aside from the crashes that is...

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »
Today I just beat Valkyria Chronicles.  Next on my list of FFIV.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:04 AM »
Hey everyone.  Undertale's a good game and you should get it if you like 90s-style RPGs and a healthy mixture of whimsical humor and mind-screw.

I don't think my explanation can do it justice, but this Boing Boing article's pretty good about it.

That game kinda reminds me of Iji, at least in the "whismsical humor and mind-screw" departments.

Iji is an action platformer where you play your average everyday girl is turned into an experimental weapon to fight an alien military invasion on Earth by herself. You can collect upgrades and level up different abilities, including stuff like hacking and super kicking to take down explosion-proof barriers. However can the protagonist's sanity hold if she fully turns into a killing machine? Is murderizing everything that moves the only solution?

Iji is also free to download and play. Kinda old, but if you never played it, I would say it's worth a try.

EDIT: Replaying it right now, and it also has quite some nice music.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:55:59 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
What do I win?

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »
Five Nights At Freddy's World is a cute, colourful RPG

Its been getting a lot of hate.  I don't see the big deal, it looks hilarious to me.  It seems clearly meant to subvert the normal horror nature.
Mudada.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
O.O

Cloud Storms into Battle

Sakurai.  You are forgiven for not including Ridley.
Mudada.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 12:21:48 AM »
What do I win?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »
PS2 emulation is confirmed for the PS4.

Oh look, Sony is going to sell us PS2 games all over again...

Meanwhile, no backwards compatibility for the PS3.  :p
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Mudada.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »
Speaking of BC..I would have preferred if Fable 3 had been chosen instead of Fable II due to how the female character changes over time into looking a bit like she-hulk....