Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XI :What Do you Want to Bitch About?  (Read 158290 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XI :What Do you Want to Bitch About?
« Reply #960 on: August 12, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
We bought eclipse glasses from amazon months ago, and this morning got an email that they might be fake and we were getting a refund. Except now EVERYWHERE is sold out of glasses that aren't absurdly expensive. FML

These guys are seeing if they've got any left in stock.

Also you might be interested in going to a Library or NASA event which might be able to provide you with glasses.
We're going on vacation to South Carolina to see it... but I managed to find someone at work who has extra pairs I can buy!!
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 12, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »
That blows.
Nansh' got the right links.
My Venus transit glasses are 5 years old (2 too much) and the previous standard not the current.  I'm bummed I thought I wuz ready.

AAS says welding glass of #13 and #12 are OK (most sources say just #14s).
The detail is 3/4ths the way down ---> https://aas.org/media/press-releases/aas-offers-updated-advice-safely-viewing-solar-eclipse
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 12, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
So...

Yesterday one of the coworkers did his inside patrols chatting with his gf about random stuff on his phone without hat and glasses as is his wont (all of which are forbidden).  He was apparently fairly engrossed with the significant other about her friends romantic life so much he didn't notice he had wandered into the clients HR office.  Or that it was occupied.

Which is why he probably felt free to say "Just tell her to lick his fuckin' balls and he'll quite whining."

We just got the contract in March...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
What is wrong with the people that you work with?

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
They're clearly orcs.  Bhu has cow-orkers.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 12, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
They're clearly orcs.  Bhu has cow-orkers.

:lmao

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 13, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »
Same guy called off last night, starting a shitstorm over who would cover him.  First shift agreed to do a 12 hour day to cover half his shift, but she had no sleep.  I come back from patrol and she's out cold with the gate wide open and a guy who needs to sign in next to her.  Just sort of hovering.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 14, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
Update on my last post: The new shifty was not talking to his gf on the phone, he was talking to a guard about another female guard (who was listening). Said female guard has lost a lot of time due to Type 1 diabetes, and is being pressured to work double shifts to fill holes in the schedule because "If she makes up the hours she missed HR has agreed to let us keep her." But the 16 hour shifts set off her diabetes, making her miss more time.

Then there's the stalker. Guy calls u with an accent so thick as to be unintelligible, and after 15 minutes you finally get the idea: his wife/gf was working overtime and didnt come home. And something about he cant find her son. Then I learn we've been getting these calls for a week or more, always 10 minutes after shift so that both her and her boss are unavailable to talk to. Wy the hell wouldn't you call cops? Why call us when we know squat, and aren't really allowed to investigate?

And then I find out no one has documented any of this. No emergency call logs, no incident reports, nothing. She could actually be missing, or this guy is a stalker. In either case the right people need to be told.

And I meet the new kid who is basically fucking worthless as he doesn't like third shift, constantly falls asleep, and refuses to do his job. Plus openly admits he pulls over every night on the drive home because he isn't safe.

I expect a lot of profanity use in my future.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 16, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »
The HBOvicesomething show (wtf-access) has an entire feature on the Charlottesville dudes, the night before.  Free pub for them is their opinion, language is horrible, and note what they say about Trump's family.  Maybe youtube has it.

Ugg , I caught a dude or two like that every weekend I drove cab.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 19, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »
I've been noticing a trend in my grandmother's attitudes and actions since grandpa died a few years ago. She seems to value the status quo over anything else, even to the point of continuing to live her middle class life despite a dwindling retirement fund and no source of secondary income. There's nothing I can do to help her though, since I'm on the verge of homelessness myself and depend on government aid to feed myself.

Until now, this was a personal thing for her and I kept out of it, but now she's extending that desire for a static life to me as well, actively discouraging me from taking any actions to improve my life because they all carry some measure of risk. I literally live in a shed in the backyard, and I have no reliable income outside of my government aid. I'm unemployable because I'm completely unreliable under any kind of pressure (defined as whenever my anxiety kicks in, which can be completely unprompted), so I spend my time trying to learn marketable skills that I can do on my own schedule. I've saved 11,000 and I'm trying to secure some sort of permanent housing solution, but every time I take steps to do so my uncle shows up and yells about how I'm going to ruin our quiet lives by parking a van in the driveway or some equally stupid thing, and he wears her down until she cries and just wants the problem to go away.

It's not going away. I've only got another 10 years or so to live, and I need to figure something out for that time. Either that or off myself so someone else can use the money.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #970 on: August 19, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »
1. don't off yourself, without very good reason. money is not a very good reason... saving kittens from a waterfall or something... maybe.

2. i put in 50+ hours a week making about double the national average, i dont have 100$ saved... so wow wtf... just come manage my shit...

3. i have no productive help for your anxiety beyond saying 'practice success', create a history of accomplishments and confidence and assuredness should follow.

4. fuck your uncle (not literally)

5.  beyond not making things fall apart prematurely, dont worry about grandma. you are not in a position to help... cant is cant.

6. idk where your at, but we can try assist w. that housing thing if you want... #HiveMind

7. send me 11k and i'll send a comprehensive plan of action for making everything better. (kidding)

8. no clue how old you or grandma are... as her situation deteriorates, she will be forced into a retirement home and there is very little to be done about that, based on what you have said. they will control her assets w. a 5? year back log. that is all basically water under the bridge despite having not happened yet.

9. idk whats with your 10 year window... i assume your 90yo... in any case, google the guidelines for a will where ever you are... and do that, in case you are correct...

10. dont take advice from strangers on the internet.

11. this post goes to 11.
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 19, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
To the current residents of Dumbfuckistan:

I should not have to tell you to do rounds. You know the rounds need done, and you'll be fired if you don't do them.

The client just dropped 7k on the patrol vehicle. Whichever one of you is taking it "muddin" or out for food runs is a fucking idiot. It has a gps tracker on it.

If you ever interrupt me on rounds again to ask "How do I page someone?"" when the instructions are next to the phone followed by calling me back to ask "Do I speak before or after the beep?" I will knock you to the ground when I come back to post. How to do this has been explained to you multiple times, and you should not be this stupid.

If you ever tell me I need to scream at people more for not parking correctly, I will also knock you on your ass a second time. I know they cuss you out and tell you they get away with it when you aren't here. They don't cuss at us any less. Grow a spine.

Yes the client has lost contracts and been told Honda wont let them bid on more for 2 years. This is not the Armageddon, the company has other guard posts. Stop running in circles screaming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, you're scaring off the newbies.

If you deliberately violate the rules to invite a girl to the post, you have no reason to worry about being snitched on. The post is filmed from multiple directions including the inside. They have to snitch on you or they get sent out the door with you.

I'll just wrap this up before I descend into indecipherable profanity...

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 21, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »
1. don't off yourself, without very good reason. money is not a very good reason... saving kittens from a waterfall or something... maybe.
My life insurance isn't high enough to make it worth it anyway >.>

2. i put in 50+ hours a week making about double the national average, i dont have 100$ saved... so wow wtf... just come manage my shit...
Batch cook meatloaf and similar cheap foods, don't go outside, pirate everything.

3. i have no productive help for your anxiety beyond saying 'practice success', create a history of accomplishments and confidence and assuredness should follow.
I have PTSD (well, they call it "Trauma Induced Acute Chronic Anxiety" because they don't want to back a full disability claim). Between therapy and meds, I can function daily, but I can't do so in a reliable enough manner to be a functioning adult AND have a job.
4. fuck your uncle (not literally)
>.>
5.  beyond not making things fall apart prematurely, dont worry about grandma. you are not in a position to help... cant is cant.
I live in her backyard in a shed. Gotta tread lightly.
6. idk where your at, but we can try assist w. that housing thing if you want... #HiveMind
Bay Area California. Shit's expensive yo.
7. send me 11k and i'll send a comprehensive plan of action for making everything better. (kidding)
If only.
8. no clue how old you or grandma are... as her situation deteriorates, she will be forced into a retirement home and there is very little to be done about that, based on what you have said. they will control her assets w. a 5? year back log. that is all basically water under the bridge despite having not happened yet.
She's in her mid 70s. She doesn't have enough money available to make it another 5 or 10 years, so it is an elephant in the room pretty much all the time.
9. idk whats with your 10 year window... i assume your 90yo... in any case, google the guidelines for a will where ever you are... and do that, in case you are correct...
The particular cocktail of physical ailments I have puts immense strain on my organs. I'm due for liver failure right about then, among other things. I'm 27 right now.
10. dont take advice from strangers on the internet.
WELP I DUN GOOFED.

Good news though, I bought a Sprinter today with good internals and a partial conversion already done.

Not that exact one, but similar. It has enough legroom for me to drive even with my bad legs, and it's already set up with solar/ventilation/heater/sink and a futon bed. So, worst case scenario it's road trip for me.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #973 on: August 21, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
Serious advice: do you have any free time to exercise? Exercise helped a lot with my suicidal thoughts/depression. To the point where i regressed back to depression when i had a shoulder injury and had to keep off exercise for two months. I never thought it'd help so much, but it did help waaaaaaaaay more than any medication any shrink ever gave me. Now i can't imagine life without working out. Don't worry about money because there's a VERY big community over at /r/bodyweightfitness that has no-gym-no-money routines that literally anyone can do, anywhere, even without any access to a park. There's even some "solitary confinement" workout plans that you can do, quite literally, in the space of a solitary cell. If your medical condition prevents you from working out, then disregard the advice... If not, please consider it, as it has helped me off of a very dark place.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 21, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »
Serious advice: do you have any free time to exercise?

I do tai chi forms and stretches whenever I can, but between the anxiety and the nerve damage, I'm not exactly capable of much else. I walk with a cane most of the time, and can't lift my arms over my head unless they are directly in front of me.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #975 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »

I do tai chi forms and stretches whenever I can, but between the anxiety and the nerve damage, I'm not exactly capable of much else. I walk with a cane most of the time, and can't lift my arms over my head unless they are directly in front of me.

Tai chi is amazing!
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 22, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »

You should definitely do as much Tai Chi as you can. As "soft" exercises go, the main benefit of it for you will be mental. It takes a good deal of concentration to pull off the forms correctly, and the more you focus on that, the least space left there is for you to worry about anything else, even on the background. The improvement to your bloodflow should certainly make your body ache a little less, as would the muscle tonus. If you manage to set it as part of your routine, there should be some psychological improvement as well, since that would provide you with more structure - and from what you've told us it seems a worry for the future (and therefore a lack of structure) could be a major trigger for you.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 22, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »
Structure is a big part of my self care right now. I prep food in batches because I know future me won't be on the ball when the time comes to eat, and all my daily tasks are alarms on my phone, so my mantra to stay calm is that there isn't an alarm prompting me to do something, so it's not important.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 22, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Would've posted yesterday but my modem imploded like a dying star. Had to go in for 12 hour day anyway so wouldn't have had time.

Boss has called off two days due to personal issues, and has calmed down due to them thank god. Or at least till he gets back and sees what people have been doing.

Last night we get ambulance call cause kid has depression. I arrive, they then tell me he needs drug test, so I have to go back to shack to get paperwork. 2 cops blow past me. In the seconds I was gone he threatened suicide, and cops were notified because he can refuse an ambulance but not them. They take him for 24 hour suicide watch.

Guy calls and threatens hell on earth if we dont put him in touch with his coordinator, who then threatens us with hell on earth if we give out his number again like we're supposed to.

I go to do parking control and nearly get rammed three times by employees so now I am in no mood. I am literally considering walking over to the geese and saying "Lo, I have forsaken humanity, teach unto me your ways that I may seek revenge."

Im doing rounds when I get call 2-3 hours after ambulance, Would-be suicide is ready for pickup. How the fuck do you weasel your way out of a suicide watch?

Before I can return to vehicle, I get call ambulance is on way. Girl is having panic attack, and is on floor hugging table leg not responding to anyone. So I have to do her first. New kid who took call doesn't know her location. "How are you directing the ambulance when they get here? Call them back." He calls and says is East Break room. "There are three break rooms, which one is East?" He doesn't know. Call them back. I'm driving I can't do that and dial phone at same time. Ambulance arrives and we take long, winding way through factory interrupting everyones work and freaking people the hell out when they could have just had them come through shipping. Which would have been closer and far less disruptive, and we wouldn't set off alarm opening an emergency exit. As of beginning of first shift alarm was still going, because no one, including us, has apparently ever been told how to shut the goddamn thing off.

I finish round and get told she's ready for pickup. I'm on my way back when phone rings. It's the lady from swing shift who isn't due in till the weekend. She yells at me for answering after 3 rings. "I'm in traffic, what the fuck do you want?" She gets pissed and goes on rant about how I'm like the 'goddamn welfare people' so i tell her to fuck off and hang up. Meanwhile the employee I picked up is staring at me like I'm a were-mongoose and have shifted without realizing it. I get back and ask the new kid why she called me on the security cell phone instead of shack. Turns out she did call shack, told him he was 'fucking useless' before calling me. Called him after I hung u and ranted at him again. Never did find out what the hell it was all about. I have now vowed to come in on days off to find the raccoon lair. Every weekend on her shift I intend to get them liquored up on mountain dew and peanut butter as long as they promise shenanigans.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:35 AM »
Would've posted yesterday but my modem imploded like a dying star. Had to go in for 12 hour day anyway so wouldn't have had time.

Boss has called off two days due to personal issues, and has calmed down due to them thank god. Or at least till he gets back and sees what people have been doing.

Last night we get ambulance call cause kid has depression. I arrive, they then tell me he needs drug test, so I have to go back to shack to get paperwork. 2 cops blow past me. In the seconds I was gone he threatened suicide, and cops were notified because he can refuse an ambulance but not them. They take him for 24 hour suicide watch.

Guy calls and threatens hell on earth if we dont put him in touch with his coordinator, who then threatens us with hell on earth if we give out his number again like we're supposed to.

I go to do parking control and nearly get rammed three times by employees so now I am in no mood. I am literally considering walking over to the geese and saying "Lo, I have forsaken humanity, teach unto me your ways that I may seek revenge."

Im doing rounds when I get call 2-3 hours after ambulance, Would-be suicide is ready for pickup. How the fuck do you weasel your way out of a suicide watch?

Before I can return to vehicle, I get call ambulance is on way. Girl is having panic attack, and is on floor hugging table leg not responding to anyone. So I have to do her first. New kid who took call doesn't know her location. "How are you directing the ambulance when they get here? Call them back." He calls and says is East Break room. "There are three break rooms, which one is East?" He doesn't know. Call them back. I'm driving I can't do that and dial phone at same time. Ambulance arrives and we take long, winding way through factory interrupting everyones work and freaking people the hell out when they could have just had them come through shipping. Which would have been closer and far less disruptive, and we wouldn't set off alarm opening an emergency exit. As of beginning of first shift alarm was still going, because no one, including us, has apparently ever been told how to shut the goddamn thing off.

I finish round and get told she's ready for pickup. I'm on my way back when phone rings. It's the lady from swing shift who isn't due in till the weekend. She yells at me for answering after 3 rings. "I'm in traffic, what the fuck do you want?" She gets pissed and goes on rant about how I'm like the 'goddamn welfare people' so i tell her to fuck off and hang up. Meanwhile the employee I picked up is staring at me like I'm a were-mongoose and have shifted without realizing it. I get back and ask the new kid why she called me on the security cell phone instead of shack. Turns out she did call shack, told him he was 'fucking useless' before calling me. Called him after I hung u and ranted at him again. Never did find out what the hell it was all about. I have now vowed to come in on days off to find the raccoon lair. Every weekend on her shift I intend to get them liquored up on mountain dew and peanut butter as long as they promise shenanigans.

I know you hate your job, but I love it.  Kinda reminds me of A Street Sweeper's Tales
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.