Author Topic: DragonSoul Initiator (Pendragon) 3.5 Base Class [PEACH]  (Read 11644 times)

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
DragonSoul Initiator (Pendragon) 3.5 Base Class [PEACH]
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
DragonSoul Initiator

Credit to for picture goes to Sandara

A skilled warrior who possesses a font of a dragon's power. The how and why changes from situation to situation, but this gives them a measure of the natural powers of dragons as well as their resiliency.

MAKING A DRAGONSOUL INITIATOR
A DragonSoul Initiator .
Abilities: Charisma is the most important thing to them due the way their mysterious powers work, followed by Strength and Constitution due to the heavy combat focus. This may also be effected by their choice of Disciplines.
Races: Any
Alignment: Any
Starting Gold: As Fighter
Starting Age: As Fighter

HD: d8.

Class Skills:
A DragonSoul Initiator's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), and Profession (Wis). A DragonSoul Initiator also gains additional class skills from their (see below for details).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int

Table: The DragonSoul Initiator

Base
Attack

Fort

Reflex

Will

LevelBonusSaveSaveSaveSpecial        Maneuvers Known    Maneuvers Readied   Stances
1 +1          +0 +0 +2 Improved Unarmed Strike, Primeval Force, Prana Burst431
2 +2          +0 +0 +3 Draconian Progress541
3 +3          +1 +1 +3 Dragon's Defiance531
4 +4          +1 +1 +4 Font of Power641
5 +5          +1 +1 +4 Dragon's Resilience 642
6 +6 /+1          +2 +2 +5 742
7 +7/+2          +2 +2 +5 Draconian Progress742
8 +8/+3        +2 +2 +6 Font of Power 852
9 +9/+4        +3 +3 +6 852
10+10/+5        +3 +3 +7 952
11+11/+6/+1      +3 +3 +7 Draconian Progress 953
12+12/+7/+2        +4 +4 +8 Font of Power 1063
13+13/+8/+3        +4 +4 +8 1063
14+14/+9/+4      +4 +4 +9 1163
15+15/+10/+5    +5 +5 +9 Draconian Progress 1164
16+16/+11/+6/+1    +5 +5 +10Font of Power1274
17+17/+12/+7/+2    +5 +5 +10 1275
18+18/+13/+8/+3    +6 +6 +11 1375
19+19/+14/+9/+4    +6 +6 +11Draconian Progress 1375
20+20/+15/+10/+5    +6 +6 +12Font of Power 1485

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A DragonSoul Initiator is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and with shields (but not tower shields).

Maneuvers: They learn maneuvers of two schools of their choice. If the school demands any special prerequisite they must fulfill it a well. You gain that discipline's skill as a class skill as well. Her Initiator level is equal DragonSoul Initiator level plus half other levels, and she can only learn maneuvers of a level no bigger than half (IL+1).

One must take a move action to recover a maneuver, a relatively brief moment in battle to focus oneself. They cannot use the maneuver recovered or any strikes that round. They are automatically fully recovered at the beginning of a battle.

At 4th level, and every even-numbered level afterwards, the DragonSoul Initiator can replace one of her older maneuvers with a new one she qualifies for from one of her two schools (the new one doesn't need to be of the same level of the older one).

Improved Unarmed Strike: While a DragonSoul Initiator may be one whom focuses on armed combat, they realize they may not always have a weapon on hand. That, and they believe they should be able to emulate the fact that dragons don't need weapons. At 1st level, they gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Their attacks may be with fist, elbows, knees, and feet. This means that they may make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand when striking unarmed.

Primeval Force: Maybe it was dormant Dragonblood. Perhaps you made some sort of pact with a dragon. Or it was the effect of some strong magic. Either way you somehow have the power of a dragon in your soul. At first level choose a true dragon to be considered your benefactor, this will determine some of the features and feats of this class. They gain the Dragonblood subtype and are considered that dragon for spells and other abilities that specify type.
At level 10 gain the Dragon type and optionally the elemental subtype as your dragon benefactor.

Prana Burst (Su): Using the dragonic power within yourself, you can augment your combat potential. This results in permanent abilities or changes to already existing ones, but you can choose for them not to be active. At first level you gain access to one of these abilities, and gain an additional one each 5 levels after (1, 6, 11, 16).
  • Extend Range: All melee attacks can be made at range of 5 feet, plus another 5 per five DragonSoul Initiator levels.  It is considered a standard melee attack for all intents and purposes.
  • Piercing Attacks: Whenever you would make a ranged attack, if it has any range left it can continue. This attack must take an attack roll and uses the same roll -2 after each time it passes through another target. This can be used in conjunction with Extend Range.
  • Parry: As an immediate or move action you can gain a Deflection bonus to Armor Class equal to 1 + 1 per 5 levels for one round. You are also considered to having an arm free  for the purpose of using Deflect Arrows and like feats (you can take them as feats, but would only be able to use it by meeting the requirements or activating this).
  • Aftershocks: Your melee and ranged attack cause area damage on impact. This must be an attack which requires an attack roll. The area starts as 5 feet radius burst and by 5 feet at levels 5, 10, and 15. This deals half the original damage and a successful Reflex save can reduce this by another half (DragonSoul Level + Charisma Mod + 10). If already required a save, roll the Reflex for this first as a successful save will remove the need for the other. This only applies to the first hit of a single attack for the purposes of attacks that may hit multiple times. Taking this an additional time allows each hit of Piercing Attacks or the Penetrating Shot to activate this but reduce the radius by 10 feet.
  • Martial Power: Gain one known maneuver chosen from one of the disciplines granted by this class. It can be up to one level lower than the your highest know maneuver (minimum 1). You also gain an extra readied maneuver.

Dragon's Defiance (Su): Energy Resistance 10 + 1 per class level of the element of the subtype of your dragon benefactor.

Font of Power (Sp): Possessing the soul of a dragon, it's only natural one would gain some magical ability. At 4 level they can pick a spell from the sorcerer list of 2 level or lower. As they gain levels, they become able to use it more times while learning other spell like abilities which also gain more uses. See the chart below for details.
CL is equivalent to their IL, and they cannot choose a spell with experience or expensive material costs. These spells count as prepared for the purposes of Reserve feats.
Table: Font of Power
Class

Level
1/day---
2/day1/day--
3/day2/day1/day-
4/day3/day2/day1/day
4/day4/day3/day2/day

Dragon's Resilience: At level 5 they gain DR equal to 1/4 level which is bypassed by magic, as well as SR equal to class level + 10.

Draconian Progress: At 2nd, 7th, 11th, 15th and 19th level gain a feat that has to deal directly with initiation and maneuvers, one that can augment your SLAs, Reserve, or a DragonSoul feat from below.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:36:50 AM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Re: DragonSoul Iniator (Pendragon) *WIP*
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »
FEATS

Fangs Bared
Prerequisites: Blade Meditation in discipline taken as DragonSoul Initiator
Description: You've taken extra care to get used to the intricacies of the weapons of your trade. You gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls when using a preferred weapon of either of the disciplines you gained from being a DragonSoul Initiator. Blade Meditation now applies to your other discipline as well.
Special: This feat can be used in place of Weapon Focus to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option.

Blade's Breath
Prerequisites: Prana Burst, BAB +5
Description: While a weapon in the hand of a DragonSoul Initiator is indeed dangerous, the fact is they indeed the source of most of the danger. This technique allows them to pull the power from within themselves and wield it in a more direct way against their enemies. They can cause a held weapon, unarmed strike or natural weapon to gain magical properties for a short time. This can be activated for 1 round per DragonSoul Initiator level each day and provides +1 enhancement bonus per two DragonSoul Initiator levels (Cross class feats allow the second class' levels to count for this purpose). These enhancement bonuses can be changed for special abilities, but you have to have at least a +1 bonus. The enhancement bonus can not exceed +5, nor can the special abilities be ones that only have a certain amount of uses per day. These choices are permanent until you gain another DragonSoul level. This requires a swift action to activate and the rounds do not need to be activated consecutively. You can also decide to forgo the effects of a stance as a swift or move action in order to use this feat without using the allotted duration. It requires another swift of move or action to swap the effect back. This overrides any current magical enhancements that may already be on the weapon.

Beyond God and Dragon
Prerequisites: Primeval Force, Divine Rank
Description: God levels stacks with DragonSoul Initiator for purposes of Prana Burst, Dragon's Defiance, Dragon's Resilience, and uses per day of Font of Power (but not gaining SLAs). Half DragonSoul Iniator levels stack with God for purposes of Divine Rank.

Prerequisites: Prana Burst, Invocations
Description:

Student of Dragon
Prerequisites: Primeval Force, Spells
Description: Choose a single spell casting class you possess. From now on that class stacks with DragonSoul Iniator for purposes of Prana Burst, Dragon's Defiance, Dragon's Resilience, IL and CL. Additionally you can choose for Charisma to be your casting score.

Prerequisites:
Description:

Prerequisites:
Description:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:22:25 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: DragonSoul Iniator (Pendragon) *WIP* [PEACH]
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »
If you look around, there's a template that you can copy which gives you a 20-level table. It's probably best to follow the official wording for proficiencies etc., but that's just pedantry. Here they are. You can go down and find ones with more readable code but slightly less pretty outcomes.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:46:28 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Re: DragonSoul Iniator (Pendragon) *WIP* [PEACH]
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
If you look around, there's a template that you can copy which gives you a 20-level table. It's probably best to follow the official wording for proficiencies etc., but that's just pedantry. Here they are. You can go down and find ones with more readable code but slightly less pretty outcomes.

Yea thank you. I was going to use the orange one, but I'm working from my phone and it wouldn't let me copy it. As far as the wording, I'm just trying to get stuff done in a understandable way. I'll probably make it more proper later. Barring my phone doesn't make it hell.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
Re: DragonSoul Initiator (Pendragon) *WIP* [PEACH] (Open to Suggestions)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
Which martial disciplines are on the table as choices? (Official only, or also homebrew?)

I'm assuming this is for 3.5e and "Pendragon" is the name of the campaign, but I bet there's also a "Pendragon" game system...

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Re: DragonSoul Initiator (Pendragon) *WIP* [PEACH] (Open to Suggestions)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Which martial disciplines are on the table as choices? (Official only, or also homebrew?)

I'm assuming this is for 3.5e and "Pendragon" is the name of the campaign, but I bet there's also a "Pendragon" game system...

ANY two. I'll make a note of the edition, but it is 3.5. Pendragon is just a secondary name. Basically this is partially inspired by the font of dragonic power in the Fate anime's version of Artoria Pendragon. Sorry if it confused you.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
I don't really recall Artoria having any dragonic abilities. Excalibur and Avalon are both gifts from the Lady of the Lake which is some kind of greater fairy, and Invisible Air has nothing draconic either. Plus her own ride support skill says she can't ride dragons.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
I don't really recall Artoria having any dragonic abilities. Excalibur and Avalon are both gifts from the Lady of the Lake which is some kind of greater fairy, and Invisible Air has nothing draconic either. Plus her own ride support skill says she can't ride dragons.

Mana Core and the Factor of the Dragon are in her biography but not her statblocks.

For all intents and purposes, Saber counts as a dragon. It's why she she has mana burst, and why she's vulnerable to anti-Dragon weapons like Arondight. And how she can have the power to use Excalibur.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile

Mana Core and the Factor of the Dragon are in her biography but not her statblocks.

For all intents and purposes, Saber counts as a dragon. It's why she she has mana burst, and why she's vulnerable to anti-Dragon weapons like Arondight. And how she can have the power to use Excalibur.

See, she gets it.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: DragonSoul Initiator (Pendragon) 3.5 Base Class *WIP* [PEACH]
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Hm, does the Dragon type come with the immunities and darkvision? Otherwise it's going to be more of a flavour thing than anything else; all the dragon stuff benefits magic users.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
Hm, does the Dragon type come with the immunities and darkvision? Otherwise it's going to be more of a flavour thing than anything else; all the dragon stuff benefits magic users.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dragon_Type

I'll probably take away some of that base stuff though.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »

All the stat-related stuff is tied to Racial HD. Since you have none, not relevant.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

All the stat-related stuff is tied to Racial HD. Since you have none, not relevant.

You'll have to bare with me, this is my first time.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:29:25 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
I need to quit quoting on accident.
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
opps
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:16:54 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
Besides choosing class skills, the allotment of stances and making the class feats, this is done.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
So this kind of seems like a hybrid of 3 Ethos classes. I'm not exactly sure how to feel about that, though I suppose I did steer you in that direction from the get-go. :)

Some quick general comments, which is what I have time for at the moment:
  • It's interesting that spellcasting and soulmelds are granted by Font of Power, but maneuvers are native to the class. Is there a reason to have two separate resource pools?
  • In a similar vein, why give unrestricted discipline access, but then restrict spellcasting & soulmelds as per the dragon patron?
  • Most of the class features need to be fleshed out in terms of wording, and I can give you a detailed breakdown at a later date if you'd like.
  • From a design standpoint, I personally prefer to give scaling abilities at most/all levels instead of granting a selection of feats. Even if you'd like to give a choice of abilities at each level (which is usually the justification for granting feats), I think it's more interesting to do so in the framework of a class feature - see the Astronomer's Astrolabe Techniques for an example of what I mean.
  • When I come back again, I can help you fix the bbcode for the table.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
Looking it over, it seems fairly good. It looks to be around where a Warblade would be, but with some better defensive abilities.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »
First, I'll mention the changes I'm going to make then respond to your critique sirpercival. I don't have the time or patience to mess with the chart today, especially when I'm probably going to end up making more changes.

Each spell accessible will be once per day now.

I'll go with first and every even level for maneuvers known, not sure about readied.

Stances  will be at 1, 5, 11, 15 and 17

So this kind of seems like a hybrid of 3 Ethos classes. I'm not exactly sure how to feel about that, though I suppose I did steer you in that direction from the get-go. :)

Some quick general comments, which is what I have time for at the moment:
  • It's interesting that spellcasting and soulmelds are granted by Font of Power, but maneuvers are native to the class. Is there a reason to have two separate resource pools?
  • In a similar vein, why give unrestricted discipline access, but then restrict spellcasting & soulmelds as per the dragon patron?
  • Most of the class features need to be fleshed out in terms of wording, and I can give you a detailed breakdown at a later date if you'd like.
  • From a design standpoint, I personally prefer to give scaling abilities at most/all levels instead of granting a selection of feats. Even if you'd like to give a choice of abilities at each level (which is usually the justification for granting feats), I think it's more interesting to do so in the framework of a class feature - see the Astronomer's Astrolabe Techniques for an example of what I mean.
  • When I come back again, I can help you fix the bbcode for the table.
  • It's supposed to be full initiator with a defenses based off dragons with a decent amount of spellcasting/supernatural ability.
  • The unrestricted access is a bit of me not wanting to deal with figuring out something for each dragon, but also I just didn't want to limit. Also there's a lot of disciplines out there.
  • Just point out what needs the fleshing out.
  • I suppose can just make them class features, with a special feat granting access? But even though there isn't something listed at each level, I was pretty sure that the scaling abilities already present already gave something just about every level. That and it was originally giving a maneuver a level, but I scaled that back due to someone telling me it was too much.
  • Not sure so much it being broken as being incomplete, lol.
Looking it over, it seems fairly good. It looks to be around where a Warblade would be, but with some better defensive abilities.
I appreciate your feedback, but I feel this isn't so good.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:10:22 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
Class table actually finished.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
I appreciate your feedback, but I feel this isn't so good.
Isn't good in that the feedback is vague, or that being like a warblade isn't what you're targeting?
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.