Author Topic: Full spell list  (Read 87144 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: Full spell list
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2013, 12:40:29 AM »
KoK (like ravenloft) lost theirs, but not to beat a dead horse. Better too much than too little. Italicizing the source might be helpful, though.

that does not remove the official status from the works that were released under the license, however. sorry for the equine poke.

i agree with it is better to be comprehensive, and let the DMs have all the information to decide with, than to have too little.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
Most people don't know that, as long as they have the logo, most DMs won't question it (if they're already allowing those sorts of things)

I was thinking about coloring 3.0 sources one color, 3.5 another, FR another, Eberron another, and so on. But this would just be the spell name and/or source part only

I suggest a little (3.0), (3.5), (3.0 FR), etc next to the name, that way it's searchable.

If you are going to do color, I request that it be the title only, and be color corrodinated by realitive power level. Sort of a general guideline like: This clearly sucks. This is AWESOME! This is average. This is above average. Sort of a way to let people skim through it quickly.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »
that could work too
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Telemetron

• Lurker
  • Who, me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »
Sorry to jump into this so late... Nijineko passed me these text files and I have been working on parsing into table format for searches, sorting and whatnot. It wasn't 'til I told him that I just can't do all the corrections solo that he suggested I come back to the source.
So, I have conglomerated spells from zook, tsb and spellforge all into one massive table, and (mostly) corrected duplication errors, parsing mistakes, etc. but probably have inherited all (or most) of the mistakes from whichever versions I ended up with.
I put them all into a googledocs spreadsheet and am looking for help to correct problems -- I know a bunch of you are working on this already, and it would be really great if we could collaborate and reduce duplicated effort. The cool thing about the spreadsheet is (at least in my local copy run through libreoffice) is that you can run filters for really specific searches using regular expressions (filtering for a regular expression of "Vassal of Bahamut [0-3]" filters the whole list down to spells a Vassal of Bahamut can cast up to 3rd level). I have also added columns for which spell's description is prerequisite to the current spell for quick cross-referencing ("As Bigby's Grasping Hand..." etc.) and for damage cap, because sometimes I just want to sort by what can pump out the most damage. If any of you are interested in helping/having access to the spreadsheet, please email me (I'd rather not post the link and make it public, since it already skirts the line of acceptable copyright violation.)
...Course, now that I'm here, looks like JK is probably way ahead of me and probably has a far superior product ready to go, but c'est la vie, I guess.
"It’s been a long time. Nowadays we’re more into staying in our room and reading Nietzsche"

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
I'll talk to my friend next time I see him about posting our repaired list, which includes the Dread Necromancer, Cloistered Cleric, and UA Paladin Variant spell lists in addition to numerous other corrections.  Should be Saturday if he doesn't cancel due to ill health.

https://raw.github.com/bagelbits/dnd-3.5-tools/master/general/data/all-spells.txt

Okay, check the all spells list there... that should be our most updated version.  Anyone see any problems?

JaronK
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:09:10 PM by JaronK »

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Note that we still have lots of changes to make.  A lot of the domain lists don't have exactly 9 or 18 spells, so there's work to be done.

JaronK

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
This document has been immensely helpful to our group, Zook.  Thank you so much!  I hope your update progress is going well.  I wish I could help out in some capacity. 

JaronK, just to clarify ... how is your web-based document different than Zook's?

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
We've made numerous corrections, including but not limited to:

1)  All domains now have 9 or 18 spells as they should (in the original, some only had one or two... only the spells that were new to that book).

2)  Numerous obvious issues, like one material component being listed as "A Paladin worth 5,000gp" or another spell that was "Archivist 0-9"

3)  Additional spells added from PHBII and a few other sources

4)  Dread Necromancers added.

5)  Domains clearly labeled as such.  Same for feats that add spells to the list.

Not sure what else... there's been lots of corrections as we went.  It's all based on Zook's work of course.  And I'd love to hear of any other issues we should correct.  I know we still have to add the [scalable] tag to spells that have it.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
I've got some spells I need to add still from some random hidden WotC articles.

I'm working on a full spell list for Sor/Wiz similar to that in the PHB and Spell Compendium
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2013, 03:07:29 AM »
Zook, any chance you could at least state what future changes are?  I'm worried that we're all fixing our own lists and not working in an efficient manner as a result.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2013, 03:26:41 AM »
Like colors or something?

I don't think I'm going to change the format, just editing/changing spells. I've got too much to really do much
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2013, 03:50:23 AM »
Just figuring out what changes you're making so we're not repeating work, really.  But if not... we can write something to catch the changes and merge them.  Then finish up the database access program so you can search based on tags.

JaronK

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
makes sense  :cool
- All Spells
- playground

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
Other changes we've made:

1)  All spells from Races of Destiny added.  Some (such as Choose Destiny) were missing.

2)  Channeling Mystic Domain added.

3)  Various spelling errors (including in some domain names) repaired

JaronK

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2013, 01:43:55 AM »
Well, my suggestion for the Ultimate Spellbook, would be as follows:

- Spells organized by Source with Subcategories: Core+Spell Compendium(Unquestionably allowed every single game ever) ; Supplements(Completes, Champions of X, ToB, Magic of Incarnum, etc.); Setting Specific (Faerun, Eberron, Planescape, Ravenloft, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Dragonlance); Third Party (SubSubcategory: Dungeon & Dragon Magazine) ; Online Articles ; Third Party websites. - Not sure if humanly possible, but include a category with all spells available from free sources? SRD and Planewalker.com plus the Online Articles come to mind. This would be most useful for starting/poor game groups.

- List with spells per Subschool... That would be pretty awesome.

- Index searchable by descriptor? [Evil] [Mind-affecting] [Cold] [Vile] [Taint] etc... Mighty handy for specialized mages.

- In an Index, would it be possible to define each Class/PrC as Arcane casting or Divine casting or both, and classify the spells as Arcane only or Divine only? Mega useful for classes that can access all divine or all arcane.

- List of class-specific/domain specific spells? Sorcerer/Wizard ONLY (not present on any other list in any source), Sorcerer ONLY, Wizard ONLY etc... etc...

- Bold the lowest level at which a spell is available. Example: Haste Trapsmith 1 Sorcerer/Wizard 3. - Mighty handy for scrolls, wands, magic items and the like.

- If a searchable index is ever made... I request a 30ft tall statue made of solid gold of each one that contributed to the making of the ultimate spell book.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2013, 03:20:18 AM »
The closest I was thinking of doing/already doing is spell lists similar to those in the PHB and Spell Compendium. The main difference is that mine also have the subschools, source, and components required.

I hope to do one for each of the base classes, and some of the PrCs. I have several done, like Arcane, Divine, Sorcerer, Wizard, Epic, Exalted, and Corrupt. I'm working (slowly) on the Sor/Wiz list

it looks like you were wanting something like class specific spells?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
The closest I was thinking of doing/already doing is spell lists similar to those in the PHB and Spell Compendium. The main difference is that mine also have the subschools, source, and components required.

I hope to do one for each of the base classes, and some of the PrCs. I have several done, like Arcane, Divine, Sorcerer, Wizard, Epic, Exalted, and Corrupt. I'm working (slowly) on the Sor/Wiz list

it looks like you were wanting something like class specific spells?

Ya, spells that can only be found on one specific class/domain list. Some, like Wings of Flurry/Cover and Arcane Fusion and Greater Arcane Fusion are extra good. I bet there are some gems out there as well.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
include maximum damage capacity as a searchable column. reference the max damage cap table from the dmg. bold those damage entries which override the max dmg cap table.

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »
The database I'm working on does include core v non core and setting, so there's that.

Btw, it looks like a lot of Heroes of Horror was missed and not in the list yet.  Working on that but I wouldn't mind assistance.

JaronK

Offline Thrawn1138

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
JaronK, Zook, and Captnq, thank you so very much.  I've been looking for something like this forever!  You've made my day. :D  I can't wait to see the database when it's done.