Author Topic: [Challenge] Making a solid and interesting game in one attempt  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
[Challenge] Making a solid and interesting game in one attempt
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »
This challenge is to create a mechanically solid and fun to play game in one attempt. I'm defining one attempt as:

• No editing (except for grammar and such)
• No going back to change things

This post originally contained my contribution. It has since been moved down a few posts to make room for this.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:23:51 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Nachofan99

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge] Making a solid and interesting game in one attempt
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:41:56 AM »
I feel like this would work as a card based game, or a card+board based game.   So you have "Area" cards where you can scavenge for "Equipment" cards.  Every once in a while, an Equipment card has you fish out a "Zombie" card.  If you have a weapon, you can use it until it runs out of ammunition.  So if you found a Revolver, you would roll 1d6 for how many bullet it has.  Or if you found a shotun, you could roll 1d8 for how many shells it has.  The winner is the person that survives the longest, or, whoever gets the most stuff in X amount of rounds.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »

Generic Zombie Survival

Setting: The game starts when you wake up at home to the pounding and groaning of zombies outside.

Stat System: 5 point buy added to Combat, Luck (also called resourcefulness), and Charisma.

Core Mechanic: D6+stat. Target DC is 5-6 for checks vs the GM. Checks against players are opposed rolls.

Victory Condition: Last longer than the other players. Cooperative victory possible by stopping the apocalypse or rebuilding civilization, whichever.

Failure in Combat:
1+ Failure: Unarmed players are wounded
2+ Failures: Players wielding melee weapons are wounded
3+ Failures: Zombies reach players wielding ranged weapons, inflicting a wound.

Hunger:
(click to show/hide)

Healing & Infection:
(click to show/hide)

Dying:
(click to show/hide)

Luck/Resource rolls:
Anytime a player clears an area of zombies, players roll Luck/Resource, then choose one of the following. (The GM may restrict which types may be drawn at any time)
For Weapons: Draw a card from the Weapons deck.
(click to show/hide)
For Food: Draw a card from the Food deck.
(click to show/hide)
For Medical Supplies: Draw a card from the First Aid deck.
(click to show/hide)
ON A NATURAL 6: Draw two and pick one.

Charisma rolls:
(click to show/hide)

Variants:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:24:16 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline professorgear

• Vian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »
My DM is running a zombie survival game based off of the lovecraft system, which apparently runs pretty well. But it looks like you've already got a pretty good system. There's something really fun he does, but it only works if you've got really good friends/people whose feelings aren't easily hurt. If you do, then what my DM does is have a particular player leave the room and then his fellow players stat him out to what he's realistically like. Repeat with everybody. Then, you don't play a character for zombie survival, but yourself!

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »
I prefer to have the players not tell each other their stats. That way you don't know the skills of your allies/enemies.

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
Is this a specific challenge of making the zombie survival game, or is this 'make a post with a set of game rules that provide a solid and interesting game' challenge?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Is this a specific challenge of making the zombie survival game, or is this 'make a post with a set of game rules that provide a solid and interesting game' challenge?

The latter. I'll edit the starting post with clearer information and move my game to my second post.