Author Topic: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!  (Read 209430 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v7.0 - Now with +15% more reposts!
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2016, 07:18:44 PM »
Warforged as Legacy Items
Eberron allows one intriguing option not found in other settings: the warforged. The body of a warforged can be enhanced just as if it were a suit of magic armor. A warforged character who becomes a legacy item may have been created for some secret purpose he knows nothing about. Infused with power by Onatar and the Dragon Above, he must bide his time until his true destiny is revealed.

Allowing warforged to become legacy items is an option that a DM must carefully consider before allowing it in her campaign. After all, a legacy cannot easily be taken away or destroyed, but it could certainly make encounters with the Lord of Blades more interesting!

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2016, 08:01:37 PM »
Eberron allows one intriguing option not found in other settings: the warforged. The body of a warforged can be enhanced just as if it were a suit of magic armor. A warforged character who becomes a legacy item may have been created for some secret purpose he knows nothing about. Infused with power by Onatar and the Dragon Above, he must bide his time until his true destiny is revealed.

Allowing warforged to become legacy items is an option that a DM must carefully consider before allowing it in her campaign. After all, a legacy cannot easily be taken away or destroyed, but it could certainly make encounters with the Lord of Blades more interesting!

I'm trying and failing to figure out how that works mechanically.

Like, would you use Monster of Legend? Or are we talking Legacy Composite Plating here?

(I wish I'd known about that when GitP was doing the Legacy Champion Iron Chef. That would've been priceless.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
Sounds like the latter, legacy composite plating.

Offline deadkitten

• It's so fluffy you are gonna die... Horribly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »

Thats a cool one! Thanks a bunch for finding it, the fun finds has been a bkt of a desert as of late and I have been thirsty.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »
Thats a cool one! Thanks a bunch for finding it, the fun finds has been a bkt of a desert as of late and I have been thirsty.
Well in that case, have another one.

Fhildul's Home Brews
Fhildul is a human barbarian whose family served as the shamans and healers for his tribe. However, when he was very young, a plague wiped out all but a few members of the tribe, including all the other members of his family. Left to his own devices, Fhildul traveled the world, and eventually the planes, looking for a place to fit in. He finally found it with the Itinerant Bazaar. He maintains a very simple stall from which he sells potions, poultices, alchemical mixtures, and barbarian charms. Sadly, because his parents died before they could teach him the family trade completely, Fhildul's products are not always as potent or effective as they ought to be, so he sells them for 15% below the usual market price. Whenever someone uses one of his products there is a 20% chance that it will fail to have any effect, and a 5% chance that it will do 1 point of temporary Constitution damage to the person using it instead of doing what Fhildul stated it would do.
Technically on average it costs more but with a reroll ability you can take advantage on the 15% discount.

Outfitter's Paradise
Another stall that is present everywhere the Itinerant Bazaar stops is known as Outfitter's Paradise, which consists of an impossible jumble of hanging rods laden with animal pelts, display racks overflowing with all manner for strange devices, and shelves of air-tight storage bottles filled with an incredible array of powders, dried meats, poultices, and several unidentifiable substances. Outfitter's Paradise is run by the bazaar's other proprietor, a gnome named Nana Júichi. Nana is very outgoing, and she seems to enjoy talking with her customers even more than making sales. She claims to have "everything you'll ever need when you visit the wilder places of the world." This includes odd devices such as a collapsible canteen, a vial of "instant campfire," and a map of the constellations that folds down small enough to fit in one's pocket. Perhaps the most unusual, and popular, is a folding knife that, when the proper activation word is spoken, can turn into a fork, toothpick, hand mirror, quill, or lockpicking tool. Everything in the stall is priced 10-30% lower than the usual market price. However, the greater the discount, the more likely the item is to break or malfunction in some way. (This is a fantastic place for the DM to introduce unusual or unique items he or she wishes to add to the campaign.)
It seems like you can pick up anything you'd call an adventuring tool, magical or not, from here and Mending is only a Cantrip...

And one final one form the Random Encounter archive.
Inside the bundle were five weapons: two longswords, a trident, a dwarven waraxe, and a light flail. ... He priced them at 1,500 gp each ... The weapons animate and attack anyone who touches them who is not also their owner.
Killer Weapons* (5): CR 2; Medium-size construct; HD 2d10; hp 11; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; AC 14, touch 10, flat-footed 14; Atk +2 melee (1d6+1, slam); SQ construct traits, hardness 10; AL N; SV Fort +0, Ref +0, Will -5; Str 12, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1.
Fire a bunch of weapons with Telekinesis and they all start attacking your target for you...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:10:25 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2016, 10:52:47 PM »
Nicholas Cage would be proud.

On a more serious note, are they just CR 2 animated objects that happen to be weapons?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
On a more serious note, are they just CR 2 animated objects that happen to be weapons?
Probably, the stat block does claim 11hp but 2d10 & Construct forces 31 hp and with that it matches.

The idea is great and they would really have some nice Aid Other bonuses too. Cost wise it depends on the DM. If you use Spellcasting Services and can buy a CL30 Animate Object (1,800gp), then a CL 14 Permanency (15,700gp) and fifteen Greatswords (750gp) comes out to 18,250gp. The Bazaar charges 1,500g[ per or 22,500gp total for Telekensis's cap. However if the DM doesn't allow you to pick up CL30, you know because the PHB says 9th level Spells which by possible extension means CL17 and higher are not guaranteed to begin with, you'll have to cast Animate twice (CL 14 & 16) which means two Permanencies and that comes out to 33,950gp making the Bazaar cost cheaper.

Interestingly this can be an easily added tick for a higher level Bard. Using Metamagic Song to reduce the cost of a Reached Chained Greater Humanoid Essence through a little Domain robbery will allow you to Inspire them. It's similar to the trick with Shadow Guardians except instead of creating fifteen little shadow constructs you're buffing already fired weaponry because w/e the hell you're dealing with has way too much HP.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
An "old" find, but I did promise more reposts :p
ww2.wizards.com has been gone for months apparently. Need to back some stuff up, some of it all I can find is the original Fun Find posts :(

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:29:29 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »

I'm trying and failing to figure out how that works mechanically.

Like, would you use Monster of Legend? Or are we talking Legacy Composite Plating here?

(I wish I'd known about that when GitP was doing the Legacy Champion Iron Chef. That would've been priceless.)

I clearly remember either BG or early mmx
a Warforged Monk throwing it's battle fists
around with it's boddy still attached.

I also said something like :
most people believe their hand is masterwork.

:P funnier in context of course

edit --- sort of found parts of the idea
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8011.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:40:28 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »

An "old" find, but I did promise more reposts :p
ww2.wizards.com has been gone for months apparently. Need to back some stuff up, some of it all I can find is the original Fun Find posts :(
<snip>

Ouch, I'd forgetten about ww2.wizards.com
and even Wayback gave a 302 response and
kicked it over to the www.wizards.com crawls.

That sucks.  There's a lot of weirdly lost material.

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »
I just realized that Awesome Smite is a lot better than I thought it was.

So, I was contemplating a ranged smiter, and was annoyed that I couldn't use Awesome Smite with it. But looking at it more closely...

Quote from: Power Attack
On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

Quote from: Awesome Smite
This feat allows the use of three tactical maneuvers, each of which requires that you make a smite attack while using the Power Attack feat (minimum attack penalty -1). You must declare the use of this feat before making the attack roll. You can employ only one of these maneuvers at a time.

1. Power Attack doesn't actually require you to be using a melee weapon.
2. Awesome Smite just says you have to be using the Power Attack feat. It says nothing about only working on melee attacks, since...
3. Smite Evil only normally affects melee attacks.

In other words, if you can Smite creatures with a ranged attack (like, oh, taking the Ranged Smite Evil feat), you can also use Awesome Smite.

Which makes Paladin Archers into an interesting build idea, since your Smite attacks now let your arrows ignore miss chance, pierce DR, or trip people at a range.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
How about instead of trying to butcher the rules you just use Hank's Bow which allows you to Power Attack with fired arrows?

Arrows that mind you deal 2d6 force damage which can nail Incorporeal/Ethereal creatures, and you don't actually have to buy arrows to use it...

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »
and its your item familiar and your a kensai and have bloodlines and

nm, i just get excited by hanks bow... :bigeyes
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »

Quote from: Power Attack
...subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls...

1. Power Attack doesn't actually require you to be using a melee weapon...

Uh, what? Just use SorO's Bow idea. It's a good feat then.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
some of it all I can find is the original Fun Find posts :(

(click to show/hide)

Would you like the full text of this?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
Would you like the full text of this?
Yes please plz.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2016, 12:49:32 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Random Question: What is it going to take to have people go to the MetaCompendium (in my sig) first before trying any other D&D 3.5 resource? I literally just searched inside the folders for 'jordain.' It was in the unsorted area that I had to personally grab, but still.

Offline IlPazzo

• Vbi solitudinem facimus, pacem appellamus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
We just took the bad habit of never having to think about it, because you will remind it to us anyway  :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
Random Question: What is it going to take to have people go to the MetaCompendium (in my sig) first before trying any other D&D 3.5 resource? I literally just searched inside the folders for 'jordain.' It was in the unsorted area that I had to personally grab, but still.

To answer your question (at least for me): It's going to take not having to download it.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
How about instead of trying to butcher the rules you just use Hank's Bow which allows you to Power Attack with fired arrows?

Arrows that mind you deal 2d6 force damage which can nail Incorporeal/Ethereal creatures, and you don't actually have to buy arrows to use it...
Or 3 levels of Peerless Archer from Silver Marches.  And you can make your own dang arrows.