Author Topic: Fun Finds: 5e Edition  (Read 144189 times)

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds: 5e Edition
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
The 20 cap in the PHB is specific to the ASIs in class levels, feats, and (I think) racial ability score adjustments.
Yep, they already printed magical items that take your ability scores over 20, like the strength belt which goes up to 29.

Tomes increase the cap through.

Yeah I have given out both the belt of storm giant strength and a tome to each player in my current game.  For some reason I was convinced 30 was an absolute cap for the system but I think I'm just misremembering the caps from the epic boons and the monster rules.  I guess the tomes will be the first thing where I have to say no to a TO strategy in 5e.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:36:56 AM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »
I get your point, and agree in general.
It's probably a corner case though,
and not a particularly useful one.

100 years is enough time for a party
to go from 0 to 20+ levels and be done.
And even die, so the Elf can twiddle away.

100 years of Crafting is a mighty large golf bag.
So perhaps the T.O. use of Tomes collides with
what are otherwise much more powerful items.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2015, 07:52:44 PM »
now i need to look up the 5e crafting rules...

seems like a couple druish elves could build it after all :p

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=150.0
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2015, 05:33:54 AM »
This is less of a find and more of a clarification that a strong tactic works as intented.

Dissonent Whispers combos well with any summon spell.
Conjure Beasts/Fey/Elementals and animate objects gives you lots of minions held up by concentration. 
Dissonant Whispers forces them to run away and provoke attacks. 

You can have 8+ minions, so you can position them to get at least 8 attacks of opportunity. 

Recently got clarification on Twitter that this is working as intended.

https://twitter.com/ngryGod/status/633979657491214336

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
Niiiiice.
Even with the recent tweet-rata (twat'rata?)
that the DM controls which things
show up for a Summons, DW still
makes good use generating OAs.

And the Summons'er doesn't have
to try to coordinate with grumpy and
recalcitrant Front-liners, anymore.
 ;)  :D

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
It's why the "can you summon swarms?" with Conjure Animals, usually results in a "No. You damn well can't summon swarms" response. It's not because they're great in combat. It's because of 8 stacked swarms attacking a "person" is pretty good, and if they try and move, 8 AoOs for their effort. From a lvl 3 spell.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:22:08 PM by sambojin »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
Orcus
(click to show/hide)

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »
Nice. Looks good.  :clap

Another dumb find from another thread:

The Giant Octopus, Plesiosaur and Killer Whale aren't great forms on land because they're slow, but they do have many cool things. 15' reach and restrain, 10' reach, or 120' blindsight respectively.

As a Moon druid, you can take Magical Initiate (Wizard or Sorcerer) with Expeditious Retreat as your spell, and can cast Longstrider naturally. Sure, it's two slots used for giggles, but that's not a lot. Cast spells, then wildshape into one of the above.

All of a sudden you're moving 20' normal/20' bonus movement (about as fast as any "normal" character on land) and get to use all your funky attacks for the next ten minutes. Or the whale can go 10'/10' and can keep singing away any invisibility problems, and never air-drowns at all.

Giant Badgers get 20'/20' burrow if you want that too. 40' through earth, in six seconds from a large target, is better than most modern mining machinery. Turbo digger ftw!

More dumb options, but fast aquatics could be fun to use (or super burrowing). Bonus points if you get someone else to cast Fly, Invisibility or Spider Climb on the whale :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:22:32 PM by sambojin »

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »
The giant octopus is a pretty good summon too if you're playing with a DM who will let you choose what comes out.  They're good at controlling the battlefield with their tentacle restraints, and you get 2 with a 3rd level conjure animals.  Since they can hold their breath for as long as the duration of the spell, it should be ok to summon them on land.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2015, 01:57:35 AM »
Would make for a nice little firebase to be a cantrip turret from. You'd probably have to do it at least once anyway, so you could see what they looked like, so you could wildshape into one later if you wanted to (an often overlooked feature of Conjure Animals).

Hmmmmm..... In theory, a Giant Octopus Druid could use a Quarterstaff if it knew how (tentacles are about as good as hands at many things). So while you might not be able attack at your reach with it, the second part of the Polearm Master feat should apply if you had it, because you could certainly wield the Quarterstaff while attacking normally. You've got 8 tentacles and only 1 attack, so holding a stick while hitting them with tentacles isn't hard.

Tada! 15' reach anti-movement reaction attacks.

Giant Octopi also have weird synergies as an AniMonk. Flurry of Blows, Way of the Open Hand and Fists of the Firesnake all do pretty cool things when wildshaped into one. Extra reach attacks, knockback or proning, or 25' reach flaming restraining attacks. And now that you don't have to be hella slow in movement, perhaps worthwhile considering.

Of course, a Longstridered, Barkskinned Killer Whale is a tank and a half with flurry of blows. It might be slow, but when it gets there, kaboom! Not bad at lvl 11 anyway (15d6+12 damage potential, +6 to-hit, 16AC, 90 HP, 10' movement on land, 120' Blindsight).

It gets better if the Monk's Unarmoured Movement transfers over to Wildshape forms. Did they ever clear that up, or is it still standard "DM decides" (which is always in effect anyway)? Because it doesn't look like much until the weirdness of a super-turbo-digger 30' burrow G.Badger or 30' land movement G.Octopus turns up..

Longstridered, Killer Whale AniMonk of Doom! (20' movement of doom, anyway. DM decides "No. That's Stupid." So you get someone to cast Fly on you. Then it's Stupid.)

Hell, does Unarmoured Defense transfer? Say goodbye to Barkskin if it does.

Don't even ask about Wood Elf movement, no matter how physically able a G.Octopus is to have its base speed increased to 35'. That one's a no, and I'm not even your DM.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:31:08 AM by sambojin »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
Here, just for the ultimate in Killer Whale related dumbness:

Moon Druid 9/Monk 2/ Eagle Totem Barb 6. Wisdom 20.

Cast Longstrider. Cast Barkskin. Wildshape into a Killer Whale.

30' movement, 16AC, 1 MILE BLINDSIGHT (yes, I know echolocation shouldn't work like that, but as long as you're not deaf it might), with bonus action attacks or rage movement, plus Flurries when needed.

Why?

Ummmm...... I still haven't worked that out yet.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:48:46 PM by sambojin »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2015, 02:41:09 AM »
Why doesnt matter so long as you name this guy Sea Panda.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »
Sambojin, how are you getting 22 AC out of that?  You'd be at 16.  Unarmored Defense doesn't stack with anything.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »
Dammit. I thought they did (essentially adding both Con and Wis to your 16AC Barkskin). Then I bothered to read the Barkskin spell properly (for some reason, I had natural armour in my head for it). Will edit.

Would a Draconic Sorcerer's Origin stack with Barb/Monk UD?

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2015, 10:19:58 PM »
Nope.  Both versions of unarmored defense are alternate AC calculations with conditions.  The draconic sorcerer ability is an alternate AC calculation with a condition.  If you have both, you choose one calculation or the other.

The only things I can think of that stack with such abilities are items like Bracers of Defense that explicitly add onto existing AC instead of offering a different calculation.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
Well...... A 16AC, 30' land movement killer whale is still pretty funny. And kind of combat'y with flurry and rage movement. Not good, just funny.

ps. Best. Avatar. Ever. TenaciousJ
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:41:56 PM by sambojin »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »
Mobile feat too, uncommon item crafted at level 3 for Flight.

Why doesnt matter so long as you name this guy Sea Panda.

... or the Nehwon Behemoth.
Also there's the latest Geico Kraken golf course thing.
I think the 9-iron will do fine as a d4 improved weapon.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
Nope.  Both versions of unarmored defense are alternate AC calculations with conditions.  The draconic sorcerer ability is an alternate AC calculation with a condition.  If you have both, you choose one calculation or the other.

The only things I can think of that stack with such abilities are items like Bracers of Defense that explicitly add onto existing AC instead of offering a different calculation.

Yeah they've been quite clear about almost No Stacking.
Annoyingly so.
Using a Shield and with the Shield Spell still works.
(crosses fingers hopes for no tweet-rata)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »
New Ranger Variant: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/ranger (direct pdf link)
It's not just variant path choice but a variant class. The first five levels were released too. :D

Ambuscade
Rangers strike first and strike hard. When you roll initiative, you gain a special turn that takes place before other creatures can act. On this turn, you can use your action to take either the Attack or Hide action.

If more than one creature in an encounter has this feature, they all act first in order of initiative, then the regular initiative order begins. If you would normally be surprised at the start of an encounter, you are not surprised but you do not gain this extra turn.
Surprise Rounds are back as a Class Feature! Now imagine a Fighter 11 / Rogue 3 / Ranger 1, double dice, triple attack, and a total of three Attack Actions before it's opponent acts if it wins Initiative.

Guardian benefits also have no listed duration, instead lasting until used. So once per day the Ranger can grant up to 10 Creatures 2d6+WisMod Temp HP that lasts until it's depleted. So that's actually pretty nice, I mean who really includes the mules pulling the cart? Alternatively, you can choose to the same as bonus slashing damage on a Creature's next attack. This really can crank up the potential outcome (+20d6+50) but I don't expect a lot of parties to have ten combat worthy creatures in it. :p

Also this
Hit Points Hit Dice: 2d6 per ranger level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 2d6 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per ranger level after 1st
Quote from: It's not a typo
Wanderers
Rangers are the ultimate survivors. They can wander a barren wilderness alone for months, living only on what they find. A group with a ranger has a significantly easier time surviving in the wilds.
Key Mechanics: Natural Explorer, 2d6 Hit Dice. The Natural Explorer mechanic from the Player’s Handbook makes the ranger the best character to have along on wilderness adventures. Upgraded Hit Dice make rangers as durable as barbarians, even as they gain a more reliable number of hit points compared to the barbarian’s d12. In addition, having a higher total number of Hit Dice means a ranger can more efficiently heal with short rests, providing finer control over how much healing to shoot for when spending Hit Dice.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:07:27 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »
Guardian benefits also have no listed duration, instead lasting until used. So once per day the Ranger can grant up to 10 Creatures 2d6+WisMod Temp HP that lasts until it's depleted. So that's actually pretty nice, I mean who really includes the mules pulling the cart? Alternatively, you can choose to the same as bonus slashing damage on a Creature's next attack. This really can crank up the potential outcome (+20d6+50) but I don't expect a lot of parties to have ten combat worthy creatures in it. :p

First paragraph of Spirit Companion says this is a once per short rest ability.  You're right about no duration listed though.  Invoking the spirit guardian like that is separate from actually summoning it.  It doesn't have to be out.  I made the same mistakes on my first few reads.