Author Topic: [3.5] Optimizing a Sublime Chord/Fochlucan Lyrist build  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Soul_Fly

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[3.5] Optimizing a Sublime Chord/Fochlucan Lyrist build
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:46:52 PM »
Greetings all,

I've been trying to come up with a build for my next character and am having trouble with a few loose ends. The character in question is a supposed to be a Fochlucan Lyrist (I know, it has been done several times already), but I want to mix a bit of a theurge into it. This is what I have come up with:

Race: Kobold (because why not)
Classes: Bard 1/ Druid 3/ Mystic Theurge 1/ Green Whisperer 3/ Arcane Hierophant 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Fochlucan Lyrist 8

Progression:
1 - Bard 1 (Feat: Dragonwought Kobold)
2 - Druid 1
3 - Druid 2 (Feat: Alternate Spell Source)
4 - Druid 3
5 - Mystic Theurge 1
6 - Green Whisperer 1 (Feat: Shape Soulmeld [Impulse Boots])
7 - Green Whisperer 2
8 - Green Whisperer 3
9 - Arcane Hierophant 1 (Feat: Open Least Chakra [Feet])
10 - Arcane Hierophant 2
11 - Sublime Chord
12 - Sublime Chord (Feat: ???)
13 - Fochlucan Lyrist 1
14 - Fochlucan Lyrist 2
15 - Fochlucan Lyrist 3 (Feat: ???)
16 - Fochlucan Lyrist 4
17 - Fochlucan Lyrist 5
18 - Fochlucan Lyrist 6 (Feat: ???)
19 - Fochlucan Lyrist 7
20 - Fochlucan Lyrist 8

With this I believe I fulfill every possible pre-requisite for the PrCs.
Mysthic Theurge, Green Whisperer and Arcane Hierophant all boost the bard caster level and Fochlucan Lyrist boost the sublime chord caster level.
At level 20 I will have a bard caster level of 17 with spells up to the 3rd level from the bard table, druid caster level of 19 with all 9 levels of spells and sublime chord with a CL of 17 and access to levels 5,6,7,8 and 9 from the sublime chord table (which can be either bard or wizard spells).

So far, is there any mistake on the build? Some kind of assumption that may be wrong?

Ok, now to the questions:
1 ) Is there anything I can change to get a BAB +16? Right now, using the partial BAB and saves system, I'm sitting at +15.
2 ) Which feats should I get from level 12 and up? How should I specialize this caster?
3 ) Only after making this PC I realized that sublime chord has a limited number of spells (for some reason I thought the class was like the wizard and could have a grimoire). Which spells would you guys choose?

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Optimizing a Sublime Chord/Fochlucan Lyrist build
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:57:35 AM »
1) You already have 16 BAB by partials (Mystic Theurge and Sublime Chord are 1/2; Bard, Druid, Green Whisperer and Arcane Hierophant are 3/4; Fochlucan Lyrist is 1; 3*.5+9*.75+8*1 = 16.25). Getting 16 BAB without partials is also possible, but you'll lose some of your bard casting and your Arcane Hierophant abilities and have to spend a feat on Dodge (Bard1/Druid4/Green Whisperer 4/Dragonslayer 1/Sublime Chord 1 or 2/Fochlucan Lyrist 9 or 8).

2) Dunno.

3) One of your 9ths is non-negotiably Time Stop. The other is specifically not Shapechange or Foresight, since druids get those. Mind Blank is worth getting as an 8th if no-one else in the party has it. Hindsight is interesting as a 6th-level, though it's quite situational. Not sure about the rest.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »

... Some kind of assumption that may be wrong?

The board has you (currently) listed as Posts : 1
... which is usually technically bad english wrong.

Heck of an opening post, garnering a marvel/minmax No Prize, right off the bat.
 ;)

Somebody in the party has to have had Scribe Scroll before you get to level 12.
Hefty use of retraining spells, and/or somebody in the party having a Psion 7 cohort.

You're slightly behind on the usual suspects for powercasting.
You can always make up for that with Assume Supernatural versatility.
And then go Improved.  Polymorph Any Object is especially effective
if you've got a Wis Cha build = right up your alley.

Sorc spell picks of divinations and then otherwise top picks, should be
the starting point, but filtered for all that druid/bard goodies you've got.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Soul_Fly

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »

You're slightly behind on the usual suspects for powercasting.
You can always make up for that with Assume Supernatural versatility.
And then go Improved.  Polymorph Any Object is especially effective
if you've got a Wis Cha build = right up your alley.

Never knew about this feat. It's great for versatility, which is what this character is all about. Polymorph into a Chronotyryn and use it to cast two spells per round with Dual Actions? Sign me in.

Sorc spell picks of divinations and then otherwise top picks, should be
the starting point, but filtered for all that druid/bard goodies you've got.

Divination? Why? Which spells are good enough to make the cut? I mean, I know there are a couple here and there that are good, but I wouldn't mention the whole school as good.
1) You already have 16 BAB by partials (Mystic Theurge and Sublime Chord are 1/2; Bard, Druid, Green Whisperer and Arcane Hierophant are 3/4; Fochlucan Lyrist is 1; 3*.5+9*.75+8*1 = 16.25). Getting 16 BAB without partials is also possible, but you'll lose some of your bard casting and your Arcane Hierophant abilities and have to spend a feat on Dodge (Bard1/Druid4/Green Whisperer 4/Dragonslayer 1/Sublime Chord 1 or 2/Fochlucan Lyrist 9 or 8).

2) Dunno.

3) One of your 9ths is non-negotiably Time Stop. The other is specifically not Shapechange or Foresight, since druids get those. Mind Blank is worth getting as an 8th if no-one else in the party has it. Hindsight is interesting as a 6th-level, though it's quite situational. Not sure about the rest.

You're right. For some reason I was considering Avg BAB as 2/3 instead of 3/4.