Author Topic: The Druid Handbook - Discussion Thread  (Read 13271 times)

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
The Druid Handbook - Discussion Thread
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=940

Feel free to make suggestions, criticisms, comments, etc.

Offline sstrad

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Druid Handbook - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »
What about some templates?  :love

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »
Yeah, there's lots of room to add stuff to this one; I picked it up in a fairly unfinished form, and while I was porting it over I made a few changes, but there's still plenty of things that can be added^^

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
I would make an interesting mention of Lycanthropes since their Alternate Form ability can be combined with Wild Shape, thus netting you obscene stats and, more importantly, hands.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline GreyICE

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »
For spells, the following are definitely worth including:

Longstrider - 1 hr/lvl +10 ft. of movement.  Great little use of a 1st level spell slot.
Crown of Clarity - +2 to Listen and Spot, discharge for +8.  Another 1hr/lvl buff.  Sadly this is 3rd level, so less auto-grab at high levels than longstrider, but still trading a 3rd level spell slot for 4 skill points is pretty sweet.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
 :) ... Did anybody say: "Hi Welcome" yet ?

:hide
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline shriekingdrake

• Lurker
  • Who'd a' thunk it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:58:44 PM »
You should consider adding Friendly Fire from EoE to the 4th level spells.
Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them in: but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents. --Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline atheran

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
Maybe a wiki link for spells? With every spell from every book with full info on it , ideas for spell useage and spell combos etc. I could start one but I need people to help with books. I could do all the FR setting specific spells but I need people for core/Eberron/Completes etc. Just tell me if you guys are willing to contribute to start one.

I think that it is missing from not only the druid but basically any class. It could also have ideas for background stories RP etc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:54:50 PM by atheran »

Offline propaganda

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:40 AM »
The coboard wiki mentions the Briarvex (MM4) as a wild shape form you can access at 8th level IF(!) you cast the enhance wild shape spell.

It's a large, humanoid plant creature.

It has a strength of 25.
It has +10 natural armor.
It can talk.
It has solid slam attacks, plant immunities, and can use weapons and most humanoid equipment (not gloves, though).
Did I mention it can talk?  :)

It's a big step up on the vine horror, mentioned as a talking tool user available at level 12.

BTW:  Vine horror is available at level 7 if you use the enhance wild shape spell.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »
Right now the Wild Shape section is written without Enhance Wild Shape in mind. (it was complicated enough just sorting all of the normal shapes :p)  However, eventually I want to get around to writing a section on useful tricks for that spell, and those will certainly go in there^^ 

Offline propaganda

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:46:08 AM »
Right now the Wild Shape section is written without Enhance Wild Shape in mind. (it was complicated enough just sorting all of the normal shapes :p)  However, eventually I want to get around to writing a section on useful tricks for that spell, and those will certainly go in there^^

Fair enough.  I still would suggest that, even at level 12, the Briarvex deserves mention in the guide.  It's a talking, tool-using form with reach, a higher strength than a dire ape, good AC, and plant immunities.  At a minimum, it outshines the vine horror at that level.  I would argue it's the most well-rounded, talking wild shape until level 15.

BTW:  much respect for maintaining this guide. 

EDIT:  Vine Horror also has the aquatic subtype, which means it can only breath water, not air.  Kind of a bummer most of the time.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:54:53 AM by propaganda »

Offline akkristor

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
Apologies for thread necro, just got back into 3.5 after a fairly long hiatus, and I'm rolling up a summoner focused Druid.  Noticed the Handbook was missing two feats:

Augment Elemental (Magic of Eberron):  Gives the benefits of Augment Summoning (essentially) to your summoned Elementals.  No feat prerequisite. Does not help their saving throws or ability save DCs.

Summon Elemental (Reserve feat) (Complete Mage):  Lets you summon an elemental as a standard action, size varies based on highest level spell slot available.  4/Small, 6/Medium, 8/Large.  Functions as if summoned by a Summon Nature's Ally or Summon Monster spell, so Augment and other feats apply (Possibly even Rashemi Elemental Summoning).  Also gives +1 caster level.

Also, the Dire Eagle from Races of Stone is a level 4 Animal Companion, not level 7.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:53:36 AM »
Hmm, I thought I had Augment Elemental in there already, though my opinion of it is admittedly rather low.  Druid feats are so few and precious and the options are so powerful that a feat really has to shine in order to really make the cut.  Augment Elemental is really too narrow to fit into most druid builds - even ones focused on elemental summoning.  Maybe in a build using the Shifter Bestial Spirit racial substitution or a Moonspeaker build.   Hmm...  anyway, I'll try to stick it back in next time I'm updating.

Summon Elemental, on the other hand, just doesn't have a place in any druid build.  Even if you stretch the rules to allow the summoning enhancing feats to apply, they will still be 100% worthless in a fight at any level.  That leaves the uses limited to (bad) scouting and setting off traps.  Those uses aren't worth a feat; not when stacked up against a druid's other options.  It's sad, because I love the flavor of it, but after testing it in multiple games, it just doesn't do anything worthwhile.

As for the Dire Eagle, in general the most recent listing takes precedence, so when it was listed in the PHBII as 7th, that overwrote the RoS level listing.  (and judging by stats, correctly so).  Of course, if your DM hasn't read PHBII, hey, more power to you^^

But thanks for posting - it's good to get some of this stuff written down somewhere - real life has taken way too much of my time lately :p  I really need to sit down and finish all of the mostly-done writing I have for this guide.

Offline akkristor

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
Only thing that bothers me is that Augment Summoning doesn't help all our Elementals equally.  Air and Fire Elementals use Weapon Finesse, so the boost to Strength, while increasing their damage, does not increase their attack bonus.  And, as written (though it may take some convincing of your DM), Augment Elemental would boost the damage done by the special abilities of Storm Elementals (being a flat +2 enhancement bonus to 'damage rolls'), and possibly even Orglashes and Thomils.  I find it has the advantage of not needing any real prerequisites.  You can grab Animal-based Augment Summoning from the Initiate of Malar, then when you shift to summoning Elementals at about 9th level, exchange it through retraining for Augment Elemental.

I did not know PHB2 changed the Dire Eagle.  Makes sense, it outstrips every other animal companion at that level. 

Finally, there is an interesting Magic Item that I didn't see in the guide. The Skin of Kaletor from Dragon 324.  It's 12k, takes up your Back slot (Not shoulders, so you can still use the Mantle of the Beast, which is important), and gives you a -6 penalty on Charisma based and Wild Empathy checks.  In exchange, it gives you a +4 bonus to your effective druid level for Wild Shape.  Combined with the Wild Shape Amulet and Armor of the Beast, you can Wild Shape as a druid 9 levels higher than normal.  With these three (technically 5, since the Armor of the Beast is a set), you'd be able to Wild Shape at 15th level into anything with 24 hit dice or less, of up to Gargantuan Size (Megadolon Empowerment spell is 8th level, so 15th level to cast), of the Animal, Plant, or Elemental types.  Elder Elementals just so happen to have 24 hit dice.

As I said, I just got back into 3.5, so if I find anything of interest while combing my old books, I'll post it here.

Offline Hades

• Stop Time, Thou art so beautiful!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 05:53:31 AM »
In the prestige class section, I'd add even Lion of Talisid from BoED.

One of the few prc that advance all the "Holy trinity of a druid" (just a -2 on wild shape effective level), and it grants pounce, free haste, fear immunity and other bonuses.

Offline akkristor

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 09:07:46 PM »
I just noticed something I missed before.

Dragon Magazine 323 has the full stats for including Chocobos in your game.  It also allows them to be used as an animal companion for druids of 4th level or higher, and can be summoned through Summon Nature's Ally II.

While not the best combatants, or even the best animal companion (unless you can get a Black Chocobo companion, which has a fly speed), the fact that a Druid can get and summon a freaking Chocobo deserves at least a mention, for awesome factor if nothing else.

Offline eggynack

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 04:57:17 AM »
I just thought I'd note that you have dessicate statted incorrectly. It deals 1d6/2 levels, rather than 1d6/level. As a result, the spell is somewhat mediocre. 

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 01:51:47 AM »
Aeshkrau Illumian is worth a mention as a good race. Basically an extra bonus spell at each level, if not more.