Author Topic: Help! Does the same draconic aura's buff from different character stack?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
As the title, Does the same draconic aura's bonus from different character stack?
Two different characters let's say a mage and a cleric both silverbrow human selected the feat draconic aura [energy cold] so they project in 9m an aura that give at level 20 a +4 bonus to save DC for spells with cold descriptor. Does the bonus from the 2 auras stacks so if they are within range they actually get both a +8 on save dc? I believe so because it's an unnamed bonus and it's from different sources.
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Does the same draconic aura's buff from different character stack?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
Your final assumption is the incorrect one, as both auras are the same source.  No, they do not stack.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:05:04 AM »
The "same source" notation is really not a good one. A better way to think of it is this: every time there's an unnamed bonus, it's actually an "X" bonus, where X is the name of the effect. So if you have two orange prism ioun stones, they're both giving you an "ioun stone bonus", and won't stack. In this case, it's a "draconic aura bonus".

(Note: this is not official terminology in any way. But it makes more sense than their language.)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:42:37 AM »
I thought because the bonus came from 2 different draconic auras it could stack but your thinking makes sense. Anyway if the wizard use cold aura and the cleric fire aura any spell that has both fire and cold descriptor (easy achievable with snowcasting) can benefit from both bonus for a total of +8 right?
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:23:46 PM »
I thought because the bonus came from 2 different draconic auras it could stack but your thinking makes sense. Anyway if the wizard use cold aura and the cleric fire aura any spell that has both fire and cold descriptor (easy achievable with snowcasting) can benefit from both bonus for a total of +8 right?
In that case, I would say yes.  Each bonus applies to different things, but a spell with both descriptors would be a case of overlap.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »
In that case, I would say yes.  Each bonus applies to different things, but a spell with both descriptors would be a case of overlap.
I'll have to disagree. Dragon Magic, the source of the feat, says:

Quote from: Dragon Magic p.86
Benefits from multiple draconic auras overlap, rather than stacking.

Even if that weren't there, I'd be leery of it since it'd be the effect "Draconic Aura", and "Draconic Aura [Energy]" at that.