Author Topic: The Crown's Council (team Mexilhoeira IC)  (Read 13467 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
The Crown's Council (team Mexilhoeira IC)
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »
You’ve been contacted through your ‘official’ Mexilhoeira channels to gather at the outskirts of the village of Beja inside of the kingdom of Jóia with promises of a new contract that besides the usual monetary compensation expected of your time will also reward you with powerful political leverage inside the kingdom. As you arrive there is a lone man in business robes waiting for you. He bows to you politely before making an educated cough and speaking:

“Good evening gentlemen. And ladies. And your crab grace. And your chobitship. Before I explain why you were called here I must first tell you of something only a few so far. There’s a traitor in the kingdom of Jóia’s court, who has announced through select underground channels they’re ready to sell out valuable secrets about not only the kingdom’s wrongdoings but also about the sins of knights Lucy, Anne and Marina, and have the proof to back it up. Of course they’re just forgeries and lies, but nevertheless pretty well made forgeries and lies. If they came to public, they would greatly damage the image of Jóia and Mexilhoeira, while those who made the reveal would gain a significant status boost. The reputation of knights Lucy, Anne and Marina cannot be allowed to be further tarnished.

The traitor is currently hiding somewhere in Beja among the refugees, blending in the crowds. There will also be charity concert battles starting soon, providing plenty of distractions and opportunities. Our reports are that the Democracy of Automática, Sultanate of Areia and Dragão Empire have each sent their own agents to Beja to contact the traitor under the disguise of bands for the charity concert. Each will seek to present the better offer and most certainly try to disrupt their rivals.

The kingdom of Jóia’s current leadership and knights Lucy, Anne and Marina so far seems unaware of those shadowy events, and we would rather to keep it that way, they already have plenty of problems to worry besides the presence of traitors in their midst. So that’s why we contacted you, we trust you’ll be able to handle the situation. Find and secure the traitor and his forgeries before any foreign agents do. There’s a good chance they’ll probably try to negotiate through cyphers in each concert’s lyrics. And as you know it’s not that uncommon for concert battles to turn into actual battles, either will provide fine distraction for the refugees in Beja. Try to keep any collateral damage to a minimum, if anybody perishes we can arrange to return their bodies for ressurection, just make sure there’s enough left to do so.”

If you can recover the forgeries or capture the traitor alive, so much the better since it may allow us to find if they had any accomplices. However destroying the forgeries and ‘silencing’ the traitor  would also be an acceptable outcome to Mexilhoeira. And the kingdom of Jóia too.”

The man then pulls a set of scrolls from inside his robes and hands out a pair to each of you. They’re contracts of mercenary service in duplicate for you to sign up, one copy for you and other for the mysterious man to keep. Everything seems to be in order.

“Should you have any questions about this work, I make myself available to clarify them for you, otherwise I shall be in my way to let you do your work.”

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The Crown's Council (team Mexilhoeira IC)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:05:05 PM »
Nervously, Atkirza fidgets with one of the ribbons adorning her hair. She had never been fond of getting all dolled up in that courtier dress, but Viborata had insisted that she does so - a matter this delicate would be handled by someone high up the food chain, and they would need to make a good impression.

Where Atkirza has been made self-conscious, Viborata takes like a natural to it. She grabs the scroll presented to her, skims over it and smiles. "This is a worthy cause for the Cenobitees of the Doombringer to help law and justice to victory, and with that most generous donation to our temple roof fund, we will make it our top priority right away." Suddenly Atkirza finds herself pushed into the foreground, forcing an awkward smile from her. "In Atkirza here, you will find a most adequate tool for your noble quest, most eager to please."

Before Viborata completely signs the paperwork, she looks up once more. "Of course, this would be much, much easier for us if you would share with us any leads you have on the traitor. Looks? Race? Biography? Any special talents to look out for? Most recent whereabouts in Beja?"

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »
Kazimir listens intently to the robed official's story, then nods in agreement with Viborata. While listening, he quietly cross-references the documents with his knowledge of similar official forms used in the area for signs of deceit or fine print.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
Ghu'Del sits listening, at first disinterestedly (who cares about 'sins', anyway?) but perks up when the man talks about status boosts and leverage. "That's what this is all about!" he thinks, and trades a backwards glance with one eyestalk to Rhesh knowingly. When battles and collateral are mentioned, a slight gleam comes into his eye, and his larger claw clacks a couple times.

With a rumbling, slightly gurgling voice, he speaks: <Aquan> "Nj añhh" *cough* "Sorry..force of habit. My...colleague here asks pertinent questions. How do we identify this traitor? Are they likely to be with others, also? And...what in Tefnut is a 'battle concert'?"

Ghu'Del shifts into his more humanoid form, takes the scroll and reads it closely.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:42:13 PM by Jarob22 »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16:02 PM »
Standing apart is a chobit dressed like a maid of all things (long flowing blue dress, lacy tiara-like cap, apron, and long white gloves).  Standing protectively behind her is what appears to be an iron golem with gloves, and she is also accompanied by two smaller golems (one of which has a gun for an arm). 

Ozielle curtsies when addressed, and listens intently to what the man says.  She starts scowling when the knights are mentioned, and her mechanical companions appear to echo her mood.  However, she does politely wait for the speech to end and doesn't interrupt when the others start speaking.

"Yes, how do we find this person who would dare slander Mistress Marina?  Such behavior is unacceptable, they must be taught a lesson!"  In the blink of an eye a pair of swords seems to appear in her hands out of thing air and then disappear just as quickly.

Ozielle then examines the scrolls, wondering if they would be legally binding given that she is already legally considered to be the property of another.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
"Of course, this would be much, much easier for us if you would share with us any leads you have on the traitor. Looks? Race? Biography? Any special talents to look out for? Most recent whereabouts in Beja?"

“If you insist, although I doubt they’ll be of much help to you. For you see, the traitor is somebody extremely talented in both magic and mundane deceptions. There’s a high chance they may be a fey due to their high grace, abilities and appearance of an humanoid with insect-like wings, but no fairy community ever confirmed being her origin. The traitor’s earliest records show her appearing in the court of Jóia and greatly impressing the queen, quickly becoming her favorite entertainer. The traitor changes her looks daily and rarely uses the same dress, hair, skin or wings more than once. Even her size varied. The only constant traits seem to be her most commonly used name, Vaidade, and  a great devotion to the queen that may’ve been what led to the crown wearer remaining unmarried as Vaidade would drive away any interested suitors with her tricks. For those who tried to just endure through her trickery, she challenged them head on and always won thanks to her superb fencing skills. However Vaidade also used said talents to protect the queen from conspiracies and assassination attempts multiple times. It is unknown how the high priest managed to overcome her. Vaidade seems to only have turned traitor after the queen’s demise, blaming both the kingdom and knights for her loss, and thus why she wishes to see them brought down.

There’s been traces of her personal trickery all over Beja recently, but she has known how to remain one or more steps ahead of lesser agents, never staying in a specific area too long. The high fey activity in the city thanks to the charity concert doesn’t help things. Vaidade's been last spotted at the south garden for what's worth.”

(click to show/hide)

<Aquan> "Nj añhh" *cough* "Sorry..force of habit. My...colleague here asks pertinent questions. How do we identify this traitor? Are they likely to be with others, also? And...what in Tefnut is a 'battle concert'?"
“Two or more bands directly play against each other trying to get the most attention from the crowd. It may be allowed to attempt to disrupt one’s rivals through certain techniques during the show depending of the time and place. For Beja’s charity concert basically anything goes as long as it’s done on the stages.”

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:49:16 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »
Viborata frowns slightly at the news. "Finding a shape-shifting fey sounds like looking for a needle in the haystack - and with all those lesser agents already poking around for her, I doubt she will use her best-known alias of Vaidade much while she stays in Beja.

A more promising approach may be to shadow the foreign agents, and use their hidden signals as a lure to entrap the traitor when she approaches them to sell her malicious merchandise. What information has already been found on their identity and background?"

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
Kazimir nods in agreement with Viborata.

"There are countless more ways to track a politician than a Fey who doesn't want to be found. Once we find one of them, I can put a magical mark on them that will let us know if they try to meet with our target. It won't tell us where they are, only that the condition I defined is met. It comes in handy when working with more unreliable delvers who may not respect contracts. The mark lasts only a tenday though, which is a limitation I generally didn't have to deal with in a delve."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 06:48:44 PM »
"Won't that put us on the back leg, so to speak? If we are only reacting to them meeting with other politicians, we've already lost the element of surprise and first contact."

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
"One doesn't necessarily preclude the other. We should be keeping tabs on the contacts anyway, and we can set the trigger to be them ATTEMPTING a meeting, not the meeting occuring. More importantly, we can gather possible locations for these meetings, and put a different trigger on each contact until one of them comes up valid."

Kazimir rubs his brow in annoyance.

"Of course, this wouldn't be as much trouble if we could just BE the favored contact. The highest bidder so to speak. I'm probably not the best choice because I have a semi-public affiliation with one of the knights and a reputation in the information business, but one of you probably has a low enough profile."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
Ozielle waves away these suggestions condescendingly.  "We won't know how best to help the Mistress until we have seen things for ourselves.  It doesn't matter who has done what, or who here can do what.  We have a job to do!"

With that declaration she promptly signs her pair of contracts, handing one back to the robed man.

"Now, does anyone here have any special dietary needs?" she asks primly.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 12:22:23 AM »
"A more promising approach may be to shadow the foreign agents, and use their hidden signals as a lure to entrap the traitor when she approaches them to sell her malicious merchandise. What information has already been found on their identity and background?"
“If you don’t know already, you would easily find it out once you entered Beja as the foreign musicians aren’t doing much to cover their allegiances but I may as well put you up to date now of what's been gathered.

Metal Pesado comes from the Democracy of Automática, all their five members Aço, Cobre, Ferro, Estanho and Chumbo play in heavy mechanized armor with voice synhesizers and cutting edge electronic instruments which have been witnessed as doubling as advanced weapons. The exact identity of the people inside the armors remains a well guarded secret. Some may even be androids or vampires for all we know, they’ve been known to play for days nonstop, and they use that mystery factor well to increase the popularity of the band. Chances are that they change the people inside the armors depending on their needs. The Democracy of Automática always supplies them directly with their best tech.

Céu Musical hail from the Sultanate of Areia, Luz an Air djinni and Sombra a Khayal genie duo with four women playing support with their singing, dancing and playing instruments. The women’s exact identity is unknown due to using heavy veils in their heads even if they expose most of their bodies, their skins going from milky white to ebony black, their stage names being Leite, Doce, Café and Ébano.  Their dances often include swords, axes and spears so they clearly all have some degree of martial ability. Although the djinni take the center of their shows, it’s not exactly clear who are the actual masters and servants. They often perform to the sultanate’s highest nobility and enjoy wide access to their most exotic goods.

Banda Arco-Íris have the Dragão Empire as their patrons. Three singers and dancers, Alicia, Marotice and Feijãozinho that are adept at colourful magics to provide their own light special effects plus include animated instruments and assorted puppets in their shows. They’ve all have shown ability to use a variety of arcane magic and one of them even some martial ability, and unlike Metal Pesado and Céu Musical don’t seem to make much effort to cover their identities. Alicia and Feijãozinho appear human and are certainly alive but have scattered records dating back centuries suggesting they’ve been extending their lifespan with rituals, with Alicia seemingly having made some infernal pact in the past and wandering most of her existence while Feijãozinho is first recorded as serving in a noble vampire’s mansion as head librarian, position she kept for hundreds of year and playing an important role in supporting Bonnie’s revelation in the Dragão Empire. Marotice however is a normal human born to a simple merchant family before breaking off from her parents business to study magic. Unable to afford a proper education, she seemingly found a ghost willing to mentor her in spellcasting. After achieving magic mastery of her own, she ended up running in Alicia and Feijãozinho and somehow convincing them to form a band as a way to publicitize their magic abilities. Marotice often acts in erratic if not insane ways, but the fact she always gets out in one piece and often with profit, many wonder if it’s not just a facade to cover their real objectives, and rumor is she’s the actual leader of Banda Arco-Íris.  The dragão empire grants them mostly free access to their libraries and magic universties.”

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 04:53:57 AM »
Ghu’Del thinks for a moment and says to Kazimir: “I have no public affiliation with any of these knights nor any such ‘reputation’ as far as I am aware, though my profile in my 61 foot real body is far from...low. I am able to masquerade in this alternate form but it will be fairly obvious to anyone who looks that I am not...normal. Does anyone have means of disguise? Perhaps we can use that to get ourselves an ‘in’ so to speak?

He looks sideways at Ozielle when she finishes speaking and says “Well if you’re offering...I do enjoy shellfish...but I’m not too fussy.” He looks curiously and a little suspiciously at Ozielle, not quite believing that someone would be offering themselves as a serving maid so quickly in stranger’s company.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
"In regards of acting as the highest bidder, we Cenobites of the Doombringer have a reputation for being non-partisan, taking up any worthy cause of any side, but we are also not exactly known for being peddlers of secrets. People petition us rather to silence the source of any such secrets, and that alone would raise suspicion. Now if we only had someone with us established musical talent..."

Viborata wiggles her index finger at Ozielle, but tempers that gesture with a soft smile. "Knowledge is power, and an ounce of prevention saves a pound of cure. For example, we know now that using magic on that Imperial band of wizards and magicians may be highly unreliable, and probably rather alert them than to turn them into unwitting informants.

The Sultanic band may be a better bet for the proposed gambit of Mister Izkander - unless it turns out that the dancers are the true mistresses in that dynamic, for it takes powerful magic to subjugate geniekind. That might be something that deserves further research immediately.

Metal Pesado seems to be the competitor lightest on magic and so the best bet for that gambit. They may still have a mage on their pay roll to support them against such trickery, but ferreting him out by forcing him to act and learning about his existence this way may still be useful information in and of itself.

As for dietary needs, I am as ordinary as any half-elve could be. Atkirza may be a more special case, but you best talk to her yourself about it." With these words, she gives the chain devil a gentle push into the direction of the chobit maid.

Atkirza is visibly relieved to get away from any more attention to her dolled-up looks, and moves into easy speaking distance to Ozielle. "I'm not really as picky as it may seem like. Just make it painful. And hot. I also like the simple, visceral pleasure of raw flesh and blood. Ah, and sinking my teeth into a still twitching Sannakji octopus - that is always a pleasurable experience."

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »
"You raise a fair point. I'm out of my element here, as I'm used to gathering information on lost ruins and artifacts, from monsters of the depths, not professional politicians with wards"

"As for my diet, I'm an omnivore of the highest order. Short of something that's lethal within seconds, I can eat just about anything. I can't afford to judge the tastes of my clients in front of them, and new clients frequently ask me to dine with them, as a way of strongarming me into acting as their taster."

Kazimir shakes his head sadly

"There's no helping paranoia I suppose."

He then turns to Atkirza and smiles.

"Sannakji you say? I think you and I have potential business apart from this political mess."

Moving a little closer and turning so as to prevent the whole world from obviously viewing the contents of his bag, he opens the flap and the graceful hand inside raises out a still-writhing tentacle of an unknown creature, offering it with a smile.

"A sample, on the house, mildly enspelled to maintain its condition for up to 24 hours. I was going to have to refresh the enchantment, but that won't be necessary now. Do be careful though, the magic does make them a little...tenacious about actually dying, so it may struggle on the way down. Tentacles are a favorite of this kind of thing, since they tend to be very lively even when separate from the body"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 02:58:02 PM »
Ozielle rolls her eyes at the responses that she is given, having tuned out most of what Viborata said because she has no interest in an analysis of musical groups.

"None of those are needs, some of you are just picky. You clearly have a complete lack of understanding what a maid can do. I asked to make sure that everyone could survive, not to cook you whatever your heart desires."

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 07:53:35 PM »
"Aww, a gift? For meee?"

Atkirza beams as she gazes the still twitching tentacle, all self-consciousness forgotten. She looks as adorable as a dolled-up chain devil in a pretty courtier dress could ever look like.

At least until she goes for her black hand bag. A cursory glance into it reveals a hacksaw, thumb-screws of a variety of sizes and designs, a dizzying number of different whips, lashes, knouts and cats o' nine tails, and a great number of weird torture implements with spikes, barbs and non-Euclidean angles whose purpose and function could only be guessed at the risk of the sanity of anyone less devoted to evil than a devil.
(click to show/hide)

After some rummaging she produces some sort of chopsticks adorned with oddly angled barbs, spikes and hooks, and uses them to take the tentacle off Kazimir's hands. As it wildly flails, she uses her free hand to obtain a weird fork with four hooked prongs uniting into one piercing tip and a knob dial. Timing her jab with the coordination of a spear-fisher, she jabs the far end of the tentacle. Handling the dial with her thumb, the prongs spread out to the widest point where the most pain is inflicted before actually tearing the tissue and its neural pathways apart.

Delighted and very happy, she watches the sample wildly twitching and flailing in pain, before she starts to devour it in as tiny nibbles as possible to maximize and prolong its misery, apparently deriving at least as much nourishment and enjoyment from its suffering as from the actual flesh.

Having finished that snack she stows her weird cutlery away again, and turns again to Kazimir, looking very pleased and amiable.

"This one has really hit the spot. I hope that you have more of that kind, as I am afraid that we will first need to go through all of that boring scouting and researching and staking-out, before I can sink my hooks into the traitors' flesh and listen to the sweet, sweet crescendo of their rising agony."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:55:08 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 08:33:05 PM »
"I feel like this may have gotten off topic somewhat", Ghu rumbles. "I propose a double pronged approach - one of us who is skilled at talk, intrigue and society" - here he looks hopefully at Viborata - "should try and seed rumours about our willingness to reward such information handsomely with power, money and safety. Perhaps one of these concerts would make the ideal meeting place - and the less friendly of us could provide...ahem...a distraction." Ghu'Del blinks his crab-like eyes and continues, "The magical mark seems like a sensible fallback - we would then be aware of our enemy's movements and at least be able to react accordingly. We should definitely be on the lookout once those concerts start - they would be an ideal place to meet with the traitor for the same reasons as we have."

Ghu'Del leans back, feeling pleased and confident.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
"Since the concern of magical antimeasures has been broached, I'll keep an eye out for trusted aides or other high-priority targets that would be privy to such dealings but not as likely to be warded."

Kazimir ponders for a moment before continuing:

"I'm loath to risk any standing I have in the community, but I'll keep an ear to the ground in regards to the movements of those who wish to remain hidden. Fey have...eclectic tastes, so I may be able to discern a pattern she doesn't think to conceal. Many a spy has been laid low by a favorite vice following them between personas."

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 12:06:13 AM »
Sensing you have no more questions for him, the business man bids comments that you’ll be contacted again for payment after the charity concert is over and bids you goodbye before walking away.

Once your preparations are ready and you approach Beja, you first notice the clear signs of refugees in the form of hundreds of tents and improvised buildings all over the place, but as you approach you can see that the village is in clear revelry with the Democracy of Automática, Dragão Empire and Sultanate of Areia having already set up distribution centers delivering food, clothes and other basic goods as well as offering the services of priests, doctors and medics free of charge plus some luxuries like candy and trinkets while lesser performers are already putting up a variety of shows to get the people warmed up for the main event. There's even stalls with batteries, spare parts and mechanics for the androids in the village. The stages for the concert battles for the evening are in the middle of construction (androids taking care of the Democracy of automatic one and filling it with assorted machines, giant puppets building the one for the Dragão Empire with glowing runes in several parts, and the Sultanate of Areia one being actually a floating platform that’s seemingly “growing” out of thin air by itself). Varied humanoids make most of the crowds, but there’s also  plenty of fey of different kinds filling the sky above Beja, releasing glowing dusts of rainbow colors, along several half-celestials with feathery wings and half-fiends with batlike wings swooping all over the place. There’s even what looks like a few actual angels and movanic devas calming down disputes. As well as some original Succubus and Erinyes teleporting here and there, fluidly changing their looks and clearly looking for trouble. Several giant crabs come out from or enter the local river to join the crowds, some pretty big although none as big as Ghu'Del .

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:11:27 AM by oslecamo »