Author Topic: Weird as hell idea... help mundane combat by lowering damage.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Weird as hell idea... help mundane combat by lowering damage.
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
To put this succinctly, part of what I believe is the problem with melee is that, well...

Casters can dish out damage far more efficiently, on top of everything else that they can do.

Because, really, when you are going for really high damage as a mundane character, you have, what, two or three distinct builds that are actually worth it? While a caster just gets damage handed to them on a silver platter, despite the fact that they don't actually use it, using the far superior SoDs or SoSs.

My proposed change is to change spells (and other "I roll a massive number of dice, lookit me" methods of damage) onto the Cure/Inflict metric, of yd8+x damage, to move them more on line with weapon damage.

Then, I'ma gonna nerf the damage that Power Attack deals.

"What?!?" you all shout at the screen, plainly perplexed that I would do that kind of thing.

Yep, and on top of that, I'm going to change how HP works (separate change; needless to say that it will pretty much cut HP by 2/3s, so that, even with lower damage rates, it's still less of a damage slog.)

Also, as a semi-connected change, I'm going to remove ALL of the special attack options (grappling and such) from the game, and I'm going to make them into Unarmed weapons (Grapple is 2-handed, Feint is light, and so on), with Improved <Foo> boosting them in a scaling manner, much like Superior Unarmed Strike.

Thoughts?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Deviston

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Weird as hell idea... help mundane combat by lowering damage.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:49:05 AM »
Long fight between me and my brother/DM. 

Him: I'm a caster.  ::picks up a bag of dice:: I deal this much damage.
Me:  I'm a melee fella. ::picks up 3 dice:: I deal this much damage.
Him:  HAHA!  I WIN!
Me:  But how many times a day can you do that?
Him:  How many times a day do I need to kill you?
Me:  Fair nuff.

It's the MOBA fight between burst vs sustain.  Which is better?  IMO, sustain is better.  You may be able to launch 50d4, but you can only do it 3 times a day.  I however can deal out 3d8+9 about twice per round unlimited times per day.  In the end, it's all dependant on your DM.  Does your DM cater to those fellas who need to rest after blowing all their CDs?  Or do they keep throwing baddies at you even when the caster has only lvl 1 slots available?  If your DM is even handed, you will have days where the caster shines, and days where he becomes almost useless.  Worst comes to worse, you see that even with catering to the caster, without the melee guy, the caster would be bum rushed and taken out in only a few rounds.  Your 50d4 are now useless... because you're dead.  IMO, the system works out fairly well as it stands.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Weird as hell idea... help mundane combat by lowering damage.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »
Well, I'm also going to be dropping HP down.

Because I hate HP inflation. I just do.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."