Author Topic: This be's the OOC thread!  (Read 103704 times)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: This be's the OOC thread!
« Reply #400 on: March 07, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
Reflex save: If whatever it (the web) is can be seen with a Spot check, he should automatically detect it, I think (the Blindsense ability specifically says you don't need to make spot or listen checks to locate creatures, but I don't see why it wouldn't be generalizable. They likely didn't think of anything else when writing it.). If he knows its there automatically, would he even need a Reflex save? Or did someone throw it up right in front of him while he was walking?
My reasoning was that he was outside of blindsense range when he started moving. That said, you may be right that it's unnecessary, and even if it is necessary you did make the save.

I'll be away this weekend, so a map update will have to wait 'til after that.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 10, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
A few questions-

In the hallway on the map there are semicircles along the bottom at 5 foot intervals.  What do they represent?

DC11 FORT Save vs Paralysis for everyone within hearing, or just Loptr?

Can we assume everyone knows about what Loptr senses, via Illurien’s ongoing mental conversation links, or do we need to post something?

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 12, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
In the hallway on the map there are semicircles along the bottom at 5 foot intervals.  What do they represent?
My thought processes are occasionally mysterious even to myself, and mapping seems to be among those times. Columns, maybe? Yeah, let's call them columns.

DC11 FORT Save vs Paralysis for everyone within hearing, or just Loptr?
It has a range, which only Loptr is within.

Can we assume everyone knows about what Loptr senses, via Illurien’s ongoing mental conversation links, or do we need to post something?
I think it's assumed, yes.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »
Illurien's turn, right?

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 19, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »
Blisss says to the Salamanders via Illurien: <<Coalwisp, Flintspark! You could burn the webs Loptr found, so he doesn’t get stuck in them; then we could all get through. Maybe it would be easy for you, webs usually are very flammable.>>

Blisss isn't acting yet, he's waiting for Illurien. He's just thinking "aloud".

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »
I was trying to find a way to disperse the illusion, though it seems I can only target a creature or object to do so. I could gain some blindsight, however, which might help going forward...

Alternatively, I could do something that would allow me to summon a large or huge fire/earth/air elemental.. :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:56:24 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
If you can only Summon infrequently,  like once a day,  I'd keep it for later. Or until this encounter proves to need it.

But Illurien can add weapon properties to her Tempest Lash,  correct? How about Flaming, to set the webs on fire?  Or maybe even better, Dispelling to hit both the webs and the illusion with an area Dispel?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2014, 04:08:40 PM »
Well, the Fire Elemental Power weapon enchantment would be what would allow me to summon the elemental, and as a Synergy property requires the Flaming or Flaming Burst enchantment already be present; thus, the idea was to activate Sacred Planar Lash to give my Tempest Lash the Flaming and Fire Elemental Power abilities. The ability can only be used once per day, but each time I use Sacred Planar Lash is like getting a new magic weapon. Unless Quill said otherwise, I'd say there's little harm in allowing me to use limited abilities more times per day. Due to the 1d4 round wait time for using Tempest Techniques, and the required standard action to use them, I could hardly spam anything ridiculous.

My first idea, which I mentioned earlier, was to use the same ability to add Dispelling and Greater Dispelling to my Tempest Lash (as the ability is present in the Magic Item Compendium), though it only functions as a targeted Dispel. Not quite as useful in this case.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
If they're still there when it comes around to me, I could probably take care of the Webs - either Coherent Light w/Crimson Ray (turns it to Fire damage) or Shadow Conjuration: Orb of Fire (or something).

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »
My first idea, which I mentioned earlier, was to use the same ability to add Dispelling and Greater Dispelling to my Tempest Lash (as the ability is present in the Magic Item Compendium), though it only functions as a targeted Dispel.

Oop, missed that; forgot.

As a matter of strategy, seems like Adhuil and Illurien can coordinate their attacks; if Adhuil can take down the webs then Illurien could focus on taking down the illusion with a targeted Dispel.

But do whatever seems like the most fun to do with your character; creating amazing abilities is for… using them!! :D

After all, if Illurien takes out the webs instead, maybe Loptr can provide targets to Adhuil, passing along blindsense target locations through Illurien’s mental link, so Adhuil can blast whoever is hiding behind the illusion and shooting arrows at us… also pretty useful.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
Actually, question for Quill: Can I see the web, or is it something Loptr was only able to see because he came up next to it? If I can see it, I should be able to detect whether or not it's magical due to my Arcane Sight. I can also detect the aura of the illusion, and so I should be able to make a Spellcraft check against it. If the web is magical, same deal, as well as if the creatures Loptr detects have magical auras.

Let me know how many magic auras I detect that don't belong to my allies, and I'll make the required number of Spellcraft checks.

Knowing all this will help inform what I do with my actions.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
Adhuil's also got that Arcane Sight thingy. :p

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 22, 2014, 01:09:27 AM »
Blisss doesn't have the Arcane Sight thingy, but he's running Detect Magic, so I'll roll however many too. Then we can pool what we learn.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 28, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
Just a reminder to Quill that I'm waiting on some info before posting my actions.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
Er, sorry.

Loptr can 'see' the webs because he has blindsense; to normal sight they're still inside the illusion. I don't think Arcane Sight works on the creatures through that; you don't have line of sight to them. You can certainly make a spellcraft check re: the illusion, however.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
Arcane Sight won't let me see the creatures, but I do see all magic auras in range as per Detect Magic:
You know the location and power of all magical auras within your sight. An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning level or an item’s caster level, as noted in the description of the detect magic spell. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + one-half caster level for a nonspell effect.)

I only need to have line of sight to make the spellcraft check, but I still sense whether there's a magic aura and how powerful it is. So, for instance, if the illusion was one spell and the web were part of a Web spell as opposed to being natural, I'd see two magic auras.

As for the spellcraft check for the illusion, if it's pretty obvious that there is an illusion there, I would hope Illurien is smart enough to deduce that it is part of the Illusion school of magic. :D

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 03, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
As for the spellcraft check for the illusion, if it's pretty obvious that there is an illusion there, I would hope Illurien is smart enough to deduce that it is part of the Illusion school of magic. :D
Even more so for Adhuil! :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 04, 2014, 08:48:21 AM »
An extra attack isn't going to allow Illurien to dispel the illusion, as it's a standard action to activate, not an attack. So the effect would be wasted on her and everyone else since they still won't be able to see anything. Loptr can sense them, so I guess he could still benefit but there's still the web to contend with.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 05, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
Actually, I think I've made a mistake; the illusion is (su), which Arcane Sight doesn't seem to detect at all. If I'm reading it right, anyway. Not too sure. Can you detect magic items?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 05, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Arcane Sight/Detect Magic does detect magic items, yes. However, even Supernatural abilities would have a magical aura that can be detected by Detect Magic. The spell doesn't mention which kinds of magic it detects, and does not limit it just to spells cast as spells or SLAs. The text for Supernatural Abilities states: Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.

There's nothing about them not being detected by Detect Magic, and in fact the text outright states that they're magical. Detect Magic mentions that a magical effect (functioning spell)'s aura strength is dependent on the spell level; if the Su ability replicates a spell, I believe you would use the normal spell level.

As for magic items, the item's Caster Level determines the strength of the aura.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:58:28 PM by VennDygrem »