Author Topic: rogue´s elusive clas feature questions  (Read 3380 times)

Offline karsus88

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
rogue´s elusive clas feature questions
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:23:03 AM »
Hello there

Can someone explain to me the ruling of the 18th lvl rogue´s class feaature regarding advantage and disadvantage.

According to the ruling, PH 173"If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them, and you roll one d20.."

and the elusive CF  says :PH 97: "Beginning at 18th level, you are so evasive that attackers rarely gain the upper hand against you.  No attack roll has advantage against you while you aren’t incapacitated."

Since, according to what I´m understanding here, no attack has advantage against you, taking this in consideration, after applying this rule, can I add some disadvantage as well?

For instance:
2 fighters are attacking me, they flank me and one of them will make his attacks agains me, at this point we know that they wont have any type of advantage as per Elusive CF, but before making the attack, can I impose disadvantage because I have a cloack of displacement..

Again, my point here is that according to what I understand of the ruling, if we have both adv and disadv, they cancel eachother, but the elusive CF says that they dont have any type af advantage in the first place, so I think I could add disadvantage then.

Respect others if you want to be respected

Offline bluephenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: rogue´s elusive clas feature questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:05:17 AM »
Thankfully this isn't 3.5 and the whole host of priority from effects from feats, spells and placing is in large down to the DM to decide on as it should be.

From what you've posted I'd say I'd agree with you. The feature already nullifies any advantage attackers would gain back to normal, so you, or anyone else in the party are free to hit them with effects that would give them disadvantage on rolls affecting you or any other rogue with that class feature.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:19:10 AM »
I agree that you could impose disadvantage on the attacker, because he cannot have advantage against you except in one specific circumstance, thus removing any possible interaction with stuff that would impose disadvantage on him, as bluephenix said.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline karsus88

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »
thanks also my primary lang is not english, so is better asking to the experts ;)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:14:04 PM »
If the attacker can not get an advantage to "negate" the disadvantage the rogue might have then the attacker has a disadvantage.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
It's pretty clear. They can't have advantage. Therefore, they can't negate disadvantage, as this means having advantage.

Also, Karsus, please don't destroy the Netherese Empire again.

Offline karsus88

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
I will try, but next time I attemp to steal a god´s powers, I wont die either XD

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
I just want to point out that flanking is an optional rule in 5e (DMG p. 251)

Offline karsus88

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »
I just want to point out that flanking is an optional rule in 5e (DMG p. 251)

I know, I just wanted to make a quick example for the post..thnx anyways