Author Topic: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)  (Read 32089 times)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
Thread title jokes are traditional in PbP, right?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:12:00 AM by Quillwraith »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »
So, just to confirm, littha is playing a Deathjack?

If so, I'm going to be a neutral evil Death Knight.  As long as we don't have a paladin in the group I should be able to get along with whoever.

Question for the DM: Will there be an issue with me running around with an undead companion?  That's one of my stance options. 

Also, is there anyone in the party that will have a legitimate issue with that?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
I was planning on going with some neutral alignment already, and I'm playing an anthropomorphic bat so the social stigma is probably different from your standard human derivative fantasy culture. I don't expect to give you much worse than some funny looks.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
So, just to confirm, littha is playing a Deathjack?

If so, I'm going to be a neutral evil Death Knight.  As long as we don't have a paladin in the group I should be able to get along with whoever.

Question for the DM: Will there be an issue with me running around with an undead companion?  That's one of my stance options. 

Also, is there anyone in the party that will have a legitimate issue with that?
I'm okay with Corpsecrafter stance if the party are, with the obvious caveats (i.e. be sensible about when and when not to use it).

How do you want Point buy stat generation to work with Non-abilities (Con in this case)
32*(5/6)=~=27 points for the other five, I guess. It's rounded up by about a half-point, and being undead has plenty of other benefits.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »
I'll be mostly AFC for a few (~3) days. I can check this thread via phone, but probably won't be posting.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:48 AM »
How do you want Point buy stat generation to work with Non-abilities (Con in this case)
32*(5/6)=~=27 points for the other five, I guess. It's rounded up by about a half-point, and being undead has plenty of other benefits.

Thanks, will get to writing a character sheet. (Though the Deathjack is a Construct, not undead :D)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:35:26 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions on what to buy as a 2nd-level squishy spellcaster type?

Quill, how are you handling languages for this game?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions on what to buy as a 2nd-level squishy spellcaster type?

I never have any idea of what to buy at level 2. Currently I have nothing at all because I cant use weapons/armor, have no use for food or camping supplies and can't afford any useful magic. I am sure I can find something novel to spend it on...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
Are you specifically prohibited from armor, or just not proficient? If it's just a proficiency thing, leather armor has 0 ACP (or masterwork studded leather), and thus has no penalty for nonproficiency. 745 gp can get you +1 AC, +9 max Dex, 0 ACP, 0% ASF leafweave armor from Races of the Wild, which I'd like to get later on, too, although it's too expensive for now.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
I'll finish up my character sheet shortly. Only thing I'm still faffing about with is feats.

General thoughts are Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip for the PC (that leaves one feat slot still open), and Combat Expertise and Improved Trip for the cohort if human.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:42:24 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
I feel behind, look at my to do list.  :p

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 06:30:04 PM »
I can't remember, is there a ruling somewhere about the devoted spirit healing maneuvers (besides the one that casts the heal spell) being/not being positive energy?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
I can't remember, is there a ruling somewhere about the devoted spirit healing maneuvers (besides the one that casts the heal spell) being/not being positive energy?

There isn't anything in them about being positive energy. They're not Conjuration (healing). They're not even supernatural.

Edit: Nanshork, if you're going for Corpsecrafter, remember that the stance requires another Restless Bones maneuver as a prerequisite, so you'll need Calcifying Blow, Dislocating Blow, or the Nimble Bones stance in addition.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:18:13 PM by Garryl »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 04:31:39 AM »
Are you specifically prohibited from armor, or just not proficient?

Both.  :lol

Lack of armor isnt likley to be a massive problem though, my AC should be about 22 or so.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »

There isn't anything in them about being positive energy. They're not Conjuration (healing). They're not even supernatural.

Edit: Nanshork, if you're going for Corpsecrafter, remember that the stance requires another Restless Bones maneuver as a prerequisite, so you'll need Calcifying Blow, Dislocating Blow, or the Nimble Bones stance in addition.

You and your crazy requirements for a first level stance.   :P

Edit: Amusingly enough, Lesser Aasimar is the only race besides human that is good for my character.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
I'm back. Will start catching up.

I never have any idea of what to buy at level 2. Currently I have nothing at all because I cant use weapons/armor, have no use for food or camping supplies and can't afford any useful magic. I am sure I can find something novel to spend it on...

Masterwork tools are affordable, I think. From the PHB, you could get a high-quality lock (might be useful, I guess?) a carriage, a fleet of rowboats. Alchemist's fire, if you want to go that route. Rust cubes from Complete Scoundrel can be handy. If you're a spellcaster, buying a scroll of a second level spell from PHBII or CArc will be allowed now and save you some trouble learning the spell later, given the houserules.

Or, leaning more towards interesting over useful, there are trade goods. Saffron, silk, spices. Maybe  Chirop was traveling outside his home village to trade. Why would the Deathjack  have that sort of thing? I don't know, but it might be interesting. Art objects. Art objects could be almost anything. I won't make GP useless in remote planes and places, but it might be handy to have something with more universal value as well.

Quill, how are you handling languages for this game?
(click to show/hide)

Aye.

Edit: Amusingly enough, Lesser Aasimar is the only race besides human that is good for my character.
Why is that?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:18:48 PM by Quillwraith »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Replace Lesser Aasimar with Lesser Cansin and my earlier race statement applies (I switched from Wis to Int focus with my save requiring maneuvers).  It's just hard to find a race that doesn't screw me over, and starting at low level means I can't avoid taking maneuvers that require a saving throw.

If there is a way to change what stat a discipline uses for saving throws this would be much easier...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »

Masterwork tools are affordable, I think. From the PHB, you could get a high-quality lock (might be useful, I guess?) a carriage, a fleet of rowboats. Alchemist's fire, if you want to go that route. Rust cubes from Complete Scoundrel can be handy. If you're a spellcaster, buying a scroll of a second level spell from PHBII or CArc will be allowed now and save you some trouble learning the spell later, given the houserules.

How does the whole rare spells thing interact with classes that have access to their whole spell list (like divine spellcasters in core)? I'm playing a Thaumaturge, which works identically to the Spirit Shaman except for the oddity of how it was written such that instead of knowing all the spells and choosing which ones are retrieved each day, it chooses which ones to know (which act just like retrieved spells, including "knowing" them as metamagic-enhanced versions) and doesn't actually know the rest (no actual requirement to find and learn the spells or anything, just pick form the spell list). Among other oddities, this means the Thaumaturge can change whether or not it qualifies for certain feats and PrCs that require knowing a spell (such as the Archmage) on a day-to-day basis.

Replace Lesser Aasimar with Lesser Cansin and my earlier race statement applies (I switched from Wis to Int focus with my save requiring maneuvers).  It's just hard to find a race that doesn't screw me over, and starting at low level means I can't avoid taking maneuvers that require a saving throw.

If there is a way to change what stat a discipline uses for saving throws this would be much easier...

You could go with Calcifying Blow instead of Dislocating Blow for the more reliable +1d6 damage (and a less important save vs. -10 ft. speed) over the save vs. -4 on attack rolls.

Alternatively, you could just wait a few days. This discussion has made me mull over whether Restless Bones maneuvers even should be Int-based, or if Str-based DCs would be more appropriate. Aside from Bone Puppet (which was missing its save DC formula) and Ossifying Blow, the various maneuvers with saves are more about bone-shattering force than about precision or necromantic weeaboo fightan magic. But if you want to talk about that, it would be a discussion better held in the Tomb of Battle thread. I've got some very good arguments in favor of changing the ability score for Restless Bones and Frozen Night already.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:14:14 PM by Garryl »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
The race discussion is tabled while Garryl and I discuss this in the proper thread.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 05:06:44 PM »
The race discussion is tabled while Garryl and I discuss this in the proper thread.

U still MAD, bro?