Author Topic: Merchant code of conduct boiled down into a commandment.  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Merchant code of conduct boiled down into a commandment.
« on: January 13, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Tritons in our current game world are the merchant race. VERY early in their history their guardian deity Leviathan mandated a universal law: "A Contract is Sacred"

A few hundred years later, the triton people clarified with "A Verbal agreement is also a form of Contract"

A few hundred years after THAT, they once more clarified with "A Contract is an agreement free of deception or omission"

Now we have 3 Triton groups. One that believes in the collected works of the Triton Code (Lawful Good merchants who act in good faith whenever possible), one that believes only the "First Word" of the Deity are valid (Lawful Evil opportunists, think Ferengi from Star Trek), and one that effectively told Leviathan to screw off (Neutral Evil, Usually pirates).

The DM has already approved the basic code of conduct, so I'm just trying to make it look nicer. Wording, structure, ideas on other subgroups (like maybe constitutional lawyers?), etc.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant code of conduct boiled down into a commandment.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
What if Contracts were divinely enforceable?  Like some kind of racial or Domain ability that let you penalize people who broke a Contract with you to some extent, or give a bonus to someone who fulfills their end of a Contract. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:18:32 AM »
Ferengi, eh? Why not crib from The Rules of Acquisition?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »
Lawful Neutrals follow the first 2 laws.  They're kinda blase' about it, supposing the 1st rule and the 3rd rule both "Intend" the 2nd rule ; intend being some sort of catch-phrase slash slightly philosophical inclination.  Y'know, there are Sharks to worry more about.

LNs had + have fairly recent schizmatics, who believe the 3 laws describe what behavior "ought" to be in a true LN legalistic and ultra-philosophy kind of way.  But the only way to enforce any of that is by force alone, the bigger the better (think of the Brit empire sailors + officers in Pirates Of The Caribbean, grimmer and more true-believer-ish).  Other Tritons perceived them as scary and perhaps even Chaotic Evil inclined.  Non-triton races, wonder what the big deal is, and hardly recognize the difference between these ~neutrals and the LNs in general.
Your codpiece is a mimic.