Author Topic: Fun Finds: 5e Edition  (Read 144133 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds: 5e Edition
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
Lore Bard 6 ... and I'm playing this.
Animate Dead and Conjure Animals.
But yeah, the various guides back at wotc, have rather extensive spell comparos, and Lore is a great way to cross list spell combos.

Fighter 2 / Assassin 3 / X Y ... has an entire guide for this alone back at wotc.
Alert feat, expertise in Stealth and Deception.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
Fighter 2 / Assassin 3 / X Y ... has an entire guide for this alone back at wotc.
I'd bet, it's pretty powerful. You can use Shortswords to make it Dex based to keep your Initiative pretty high and that Alert Feat you mentioned is worth another +5 too. :)

Speaking of
Initiative
At the beginning of every combat, you roll initiative by making a Dexterity check. Initiative determines the order of creatures’ turns in combat, as described in chapter 9.
Guess what was kept from 3rd. :)

It makes Guidance really useful and Enhance Ability / Foresight can be used for an Advantage on Initiative Checks too.

ROFLMAO
Jack of all Trades
Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:48:26 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »
Plus another use for those inspiration dice.

+d8+d4+5+half proficiency is some very nice initiative for the use of one pretty renewable resource. Even nicer with a bit of assassin in there.

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Unless I'm misreading things, Warlocks can use their 'make a weapon their pact weapon' ritual to make ANY type of magic weapon their pact weapon, even if it isn't melee. The weapon is of a melee type when they create it/summon it, but it doesn't have to be melee when they attune it. Not sure if this actually does anything though.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »
Unless I'm misreading things, Warlocks can use their 'make a weapon their pact weapon' ritual to make ANY type of magic weapon their pact weapon, even if it isn't melee. The weapon is of a melee type when they create it/summon it, but it doesn't have to be melee when they attune it. Not sure if this actually does anything though.

Pact Weapon seems like a pretty big letdown compared to the familiar option. If pacting a weapon actually granted a scaling enhancement bonus, and even then, it'd be a situation where you're hoping to bind a flametongue or some such weapon that has an auxiliary.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:43 AM »
Depending on the group you're adventuring in, a kick-arse familiar isn't really that good either. Someone will have one, or long-term summonables. If it's a dippy warlock boon, go extra cantrips. Even without the big book of ritual stuff, it's nicer than "get a weapon, or get a super familiar". It just is. Even without every ritual ever made, I'd rather the big-book-o'-cantrips. As a dippy thing, it's good. If you claim the ritual thing, it's better.

But not as good as +Charisma damage and push when you want it on Eldritch Blast. Hex, Scorching Ray, Fireball, do what you want. But a pushy cantrip with good damage is golden. You can pay for all the rituals you want later. Unless you need a scout, Chain isn't that good. Unless you have plenty of long-term summons (10min-1 hour). Then it's great with Voice of the Master. Until then, meh. After then, long-range-attack-force-of-doom. There's a lot of things you can command with your voice through a good familiar. Otherwise, it's pointless. Grab the free Guidance, Resistance and *whatever* from the Book. They don't stack, but it means you've got two party members with them if you already have a druid or cleric in the party. At worst, +d4 initiative to two people in your party, with a wisdom caster alongside you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:29:32 AM by sambojin »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
Then it's great with Voice of the Master. Until then, meh.
You get a Voice of the Master (+1 luck to skills and +5% XP gain) in D&D 5th? Do you need to complete Delera's Tomb for it?

I think you mean Voice of the Chain Master.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
In my opinion, one of the biggest advantages of a familiar is that while they can not (normally) take the attack action, they can use their action to activate wands (many don't require attunement by spellcaster), as well as activate other magic items with very useful BFC effects and use their concentration if need be.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
If I'm reading the DMG right, you can Train to add on feats just like you can languages, skills and tools. 

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
Yeah, you can choose it in place of a financial reward. It's right before the Epic Boons. And speaking of, Boon of Planar Travel is perfect for a Neowalker themed game and it's not too powerful just to hand to a 1st level character.

Quote from: DMG
Have snacks. Decide before a session who will bring food and drink. This is often something the players can handle.
Heh.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
Pretty much like magical locations...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
White Dragon Mask (legendary) [Rise of Tiamat]
+Charisma to AC (appears to stack with unarmored defense)
1/2 Cold Damage dealt to you heals you.
Darkvision 60ft.
Grants the Draconic Language.
1/day auto succeed on a Saving Throw.
When at 1/2 HP or lower, +1d8 Cold damage with all melee attacks.

Very very nice.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
Eladrin Race [DMG286]
Elven subrace but only gains +1 int, elf weapon proficiency, & misty step 1/rest.
DMG claims misty step is 2nd level and thus so powerful they don't need much.

Aasimar Race [DMG286]
Medium, spd 30ft, common/celestial languages, +1 Wis, +2 Cha, darkvision, resistant to necro/radiant, learns to cast light/lesser restoration/daylight 1/day as they level.
Not a bad race.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
Speaking of Horde of the Dragon in another thread, Hazirawn is a +1 Greatsword that deals an extra +1d6 Necrotic damage per hit. When Attuned those bonuses double (+2/+2d6) making it currently the highest damaging weapon printed.

The same source also released Insignia of the Claw (+1 unarmed/natural).

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
Speaking of Horde of the Dragon in another thread, Hazirawn is a +1 Greatsword that deals an extra +1d6 Necrotic damage per hit. When Attuned those bonuses double (+2/+2d6) making it currently the highest damaging weapon printed.

The same source also released Insignia of the Claw (+1 unarmed/natural).

Yeah, the upper Legendary tier items have lots of cool effects, but, they're nearly impossible to create, so you're at the DMs whim whether its ever seen.

I wouldn't look any further than Rare in terms of what you can expect to get a for a particular character/build.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »
Yeah, the upper Legendary tier items have lots of cool effects, but, they're nearly impossible to create, so you're at the DMs whim whether its ever seen.
New* fun find!
Not at all new.

SorO doesn't give a crap!
Oh, and...
Quote from: DMG 133
Over the course of a typical campaign, a party finds treasure hoards amounting to seven rolls on the Challenge 0- 4 table, eighteen rolls on the Challenge 5- 10 table, twelve rolls on the Challenge 11- 16 table, and eight rolls on the Challenge 17+ table.
Table 17 has a 20% chance of 1d4 Magic Items on an almost pure legendary list (the +2 armors are only very rare). So in a typical campaign the party averages one legendary item for each player (so just trade for the one you want)
Not as part of quest rewards but as part of randomly generated loot.
In a game that already has built-in Epic progression so you can just keep snagging more items anyway.

So if you're creating a 20th level build and want to slap some Legendary items on them. Do it. Essentially people like Nunkuruji are jumping in this threads to rain on your good fun because they A) Assume all DMs are dicks. B) Quests to not give out rewards (horde of the dragon queen gives 3 before the party even hits lv8) and C) All games ever will be below WotC's standard. So by all means, list the Legendary items you wish in your level 20 build suggestions and just ignore the naysayers like they deserve.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
Oh, Ok. Umm. That made every build ever easy. Thanks.

Fully legit build coming right up then.....

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I'm just pointing out that you can't necessarily rely on acquiring specific higher than Rare tier items.

A natural attacker NEEDS to have an Insignia of Claws to be worth a shit past mid game (or some other method of making their attacks magical), just as one would need even the most basic magic weapon.

The Paladin would love to have a Holy Avenger, but he isn't gimped without one.

On HotDQ, the Legendary items are not quite guaranteed
If you're into spoilers,

(click to show/hide)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
I think wotc did quite a job muddying the waters about Magic Items, with Basic having almost nothing.

So yeah WBL-ish wise there should be on average those 4 Legendary items.  I don't think trying to sell them is a good idea at all.

Crafting a Legendary, is live-like-an-elf-forever long ... but that Formula side-bar is optional, and strictly for DMs that are channeling Stuart from SNL.

back edit to Bhu's post ...
Magic Items for DMs a little lite in the cakes ---> linky
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:45:10 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »

So if you're creating a 20th level build and want to slap some Legendary items on them. Do it. Essentially people like Nunkuruji are jumping in this threads to rain on your good fun because they A) Assume all DMs are dicks. B) Quests to not give out rewards (horde of the dragon queen gives 3 before the party even hits lv8) and C) All games ever will be below WotC's standard. So by all means, list the Legendary items you wish in your level 20 build suggestions and just ignore the naysayers like they deserve.

They probably say that due to experience.  That description above is every single DM I've ever met in real life ever.