Author Topic: Skill checks constrained by the E6 system.  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Skill checks constrained by the E6 system.
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
I've been tossing around this idea for the last hour or two, and thought I should get some feedback.
REMEMBER: This is for E6 only.
What if a character with 9 ranks in a class skill is treated as having Skill Mastery in that skill?

• A continual 19+Modifiers for the check, meaning less rolls.
• 0 chance of screwing up normal tasks.
• The player can still roll if he asks, but if he doesn't he's considered to be taking 10 all the time for that skill.

Let's test it!

Lidda picks a lock:

Lidda is attempting to pick a DC 20 lock. She knows what she's doing and has at least a +1 to dex, so she's confident in her work and opens it with confidence. The DM doesn't even have to ask, he just tells her it looks within her abilities and she can choose to open it.

Next she meets a DC 25 lock. the DM tells her that it looks difficult, and suddenly she realizes she has a challenge ahead of her. She has to work outside her comfort zone (by rolling a d20), giving herself a chance of failure, but also having a chance at greater success.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Skill checks constrained by the E6 system.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »
personally, I'd have skill mastery be a feat on par with a capstone feat.

/2cp

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

/2cp

That's essentially what it would be, with a prerequisite of 9 ranks in the skill. I'm trying to integrate it into the system without it costing a feat though. Maybe treat it like a skill trick?

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »

/2cp

That's essentially what it would be, with a prerequisite of 9 ranks in the skill. I'm trying to integrate it into the system without it costing a feat though. Maybe treat it like a skill trick?
If that's the case, I wouldn't relegate it to a skill trick until they get that capstone that lets you get 11 ranks.  but that's just me -- I'm a little harsh/strict sometimes.