Author Topic: Statting Erza Scarlet  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Chrononaut

• Obtained MAX Gigify
    • View Profile
Statting Erza Scarlet
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »
Hi gang, I have a small conundrum.

One of the games I'm in has a player who basically wants to play Erza Scarlet, or more generally, a gish or straight frontliner fighter with thematic suites of mutually exclusive but thematic self improving powers (refluffing them into being her various suits of armor is easy) that they choose on the fly.

If you've never seen Erza Scarlet, think of her powers like the Dressspheres from FFX-2. If you've never played FFX-2, think of the Job system from FFV, though that's really reaching, jobs were basically whole classes themselves...

I'm off on a tangent. Anyways the guy's somewhat new, and he's stymied. He tried making morphic armor and weapons and found them lacking (predictably, armor abilities are not very flashy) so I'm here asking YOU guys for your advice.

The game in question is Pathfinder, all core allowed, level 5, DM's permission required for 3rd party PF or 3.X materials. Races are pretty open, but being as this is Erza it's probably going to be human so that's moot.

Things to consider -

This player is new. Handing off some weird wizard combo of contingencies will probably just make him take forever or he'll miss the point.

What I've recommended thus far

Human PF Fighter 1/PF Sorcerer 6 (bloodline undecided)/PF Eldritch Knight focusing on nabbing all the alter self, Elemental Body, Form of the Dragon, Beast shape, Undead Body, Plant Body, Giant Body etc. transmutations and refluffing them into being Erza's "suits".

Pros: Very simple setup, each spell lists what it gives you straight up, enhances your strengths (same flavor as erza's) and you aren't overwhelmed by choice or paralyzed trying to rebuild your character's stats every time you cast a spell. Human's alternate favoured class feature will let her easily pick up all the spells she missed from previous levels.

Cons: Locked to considerably higher level than the campaign is before she's anything but a self-buffing sorcerer-fighter.

3.5 ToB character (undecied between Jade Phoenix mage or warblade)

Pros. Stances emulate the suits, easy to use mostly, DM is a fan of ToB.

Cons. Stances are generally not as badass as the Erza in the anime or Manga, requires learning the entire ToB subsystem.

3.0 Shifter (Druid entry)

Pros. Casually the most powerful incarnation of this build/character.

Cons. Doesn't feel Erza-y, can't use any metal (all her outfits are metal!), requires deep understanding of the mechanics of 3.X wild shaping and expansive monster knowledge as well as DM permission.

Other ideas

PF Mind Armaments Soulknife off the top of my head, but that might not line up since they can't change their buffs on the fly.

sooo... thoughts? Doesn't need to be super optimized, a straight Eldritch knight would do fine in this party.

Offline Gribel

• View Profile
Re: Statting Erza Scarlet
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
I haven't read what I'm about to suggest, but perhaps the Metaforge, a combination of the Aegis and the Soulknife.
Oh, and stinking cloud has to be one of my favorate battlefield spells. Combined with sleet stor, you can shut a group down and keep them shut down, trapped inside a fart. When does that ever get old?

Offline Chrononaut

• Obtained MAX Gigify
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:38:52 AM »
Ohh, I forgot about that dude. Could very well be it.

Any other suggestions?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
Master of Masks can do something like this, but it's a pretty weak class.

You could also try an incarnate or totemist (Magic of Incarnum) - your powers take form as physical items, and while they stay the same until you "prepare" them again, you can choose how to divide your energy between them each round.

EDIT: Then there's demonbinder.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
Hm... possibly a Synthesist Summoner, with an item that can repeatedly cast Transmogrify? Fluff the Eidolon as a set of armor, and you've got extra AC, HP, abilities that you can change fairly easily?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
I haven't read what I'm about to suggest, but perhaps the Metaforge, a combination of the Aegis and the Soulknife.

I want to second this idea as extremely viable as long as the party isn't extremely high optimization.  Fun, customizable, and potential for significantly higher damage output than a fighter (poor fighters).

Offline Chrononaut

• Obtained MAX Gigify
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
I haven't really looked deeply at the aegis or metaforge for build options but if you say so it's probably straight up the player's alley in that case and I'll pass it along to him.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
There's another option in the form of Dragon Descendant from Dragon Magic; you call draconic spirits into your body to switch between power, stealth, magic, endurance and evasion modes.