Author Topic: OOC:Quisque est Barbarus Alio  (Read 38039 times)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
OOC:Quisque est Barbarus Alio
« on: June 16, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
OOC talk we had 6 characters building and I don't need more unless we lose people.  So lets finish characters and start a game.

Remember, everyone will for whatever there characters reason be leaving Crete.  So for a character history and you can write more, is why you were there, and why you are taking the Marathon and where you think its going, however you don't need to care where its going.

I might ask other questions to flesh your characters more out with what I have planned for the world.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: OOC:Quisque est Barbarus Alio
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:08:13 AM »
My character should be finished sometime later today.

Also I truly believe from SorO_Lost that he intends to haste as a primary first action.  Just theorizing but from reading his posts he seems like a relentless optimizer and we have 1 ranged archer, 1 god using ranged weapons and a horse, 1 Spartan hoplite, and your character.  I think with party composition haste will be optimal.  The philosopher so far is the one not being helped by haste. 
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=242.0

Horse goddess won't benefit much from Haste either, since she'll have a whooping 6 Str and 3 Bab, so she'll only attack to deliver strike maneuvers, and never fullattack unless there's literally nothing else she can do.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 05:29:09 AM »
(speaking of which, do I get action points?)

Okay on the WBL. I assume that includes me paying for my gear at market value until after the game starts?

Can anyone clarify if I can channel a spell cast from a wand? I'm pretty sure that I should be able to but I can't seem to find clarification.

Edit; are you okay with me getting two wand sheaths, putting wand chambers in a pair of spiked gauntlets and one in my spear?
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
geniussavant
I wasn't planning on using action points, give me part of Saturday I need to look up how much that hurts an Artificer?

1. Okay on the WBL. I assume that includes me paying for my gear at market value until after the game starts?

1. Yes it does. 

2. Can anyone clarify if I can channel a spell cast from a wand? I'm pretty sure that I should be able to but I can't seem to find clarification.

2. Informally I'm slightly hoping that someone else answers this

3. Edit that seems fine, tricky, but within the rules.

And just to clarify the campaign begins years after Alexanders death,  Daedilus should have been from a different older age, your character would be older than 3 by like a factor of 150(minor quibble really could have been reactivate recently).  Archimedes lived during this time period and though young might serve as a contemporary if the age/build date was important.

oslecamo
I look foward to seeing the build.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
How much would it hurt if I changed my mind on duskblade? Feat wise, I'm strapped. Without flaws, along with a Warforged body feat and taking craft construct at level 6 to make up for the warforged racial sub level, I only have one feat to use. Was going to take poison spell and rely heavily on poisons, but I'm worried about my damage output...

Anyone mind taking a look and giving me some feed back?

You can capitalize your damage with duskblade using Blade of Blood. As for Weapon Augmentation, bane is always good. You can also try going nova with Spell Storing, sort of.

Melee attack + Poisoned Shocking Grasp (Arcane Channeling?) + Shocking Grasp (Spell Storing) + Blade of blood = at least 13d6 worth of damage.

Also, (for the future), consider taking 2 levels in Wyrm Wizard and pick stuff like Combustion to use with arcane channeling or other good buffs you might want.

Edit: find a way to keep Heroics always on with Power Attack or something...
Edit2: resposting here.

2. Can anyone clarify if I can channel a spell cast from a wand? I'm pretty sure that I should be able to but I can't seem to find clarification.

As far as I am aware, Arcane Channeling can't be used with spells from a wand, due to this line here:

Quote from: Arcane Channeling
Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack.

You may know the spell in the wand, but that doesn't mean you are the one casting it.

That's how I always played.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
The question is Duskblade Arcane Channeling & Wands? Without looking, I think it's a no. I believe Channeling wants you to cast a Spell you Know.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Blade of blood works well considering I repair myself. Hadn't really thought about it. Read through one of the handbook and out had said it wasn't worth it. I disagree. And I think I could apply poison spell to it on top of everything, but I haven't actually checked.

Wrym wizard looks nice, but it will either have to wait until after level 13 or delay full attack channeling which is basically duskblade's capstone as far as important abilities go.

I was pretty sure that was the case with wands, but wanted to be sure. Would have been nice to use some artificer stuff with channeling, but it's not the end of the world. Maybe spell storing, but I'll need to look later.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »
I think you should look into Divine Sacrifice instead, Paladin/Blackguard 1, Standard Action, 1rd/lvl, lose 10hp for +5d6 damage per SpCs version through BoED's allows scaling (+1d6 per 2hp, max +5d6). Then you could dress in red leather and call your self Cara. :)

Spell Storing is a good thing to look into as a Duskblade.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
Divine sacrifice looks useful. A wand with a cl of the or so would probably work. Long enough to be able to cast first round of combat and still get an attack out of it out I miss. I'll throw it in one of my wand chambers or sheaths.

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
Quote from: geniussavant on June 16, 2016, 10:03:26 PM

(speaking of which, do I get action points?)

After doing some research on this no, I don't really want to do action points.  It seems like consensus on the internet is it doesn't hamstring the artificer to much without them.  If you seem to be falling behind the quick fix will be to give you rapid infusion as a bonus feat.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 11:05:57 PM »
Can I get a quick bit of info?

In respect to my theme (Champion of Light) I'd like to know what the current status of Apollo and Artemis is.  As well as the Titan, Hyperion.

I know that even dead gods can have worshipers and surviving relics but it would help me decide just what Helena's current goal is.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:23:03 AM »
I'm never going to get those two hours back figuring out who is driving the sun am I?  The gods have been forced from there traditional homes in the chaos after Alexanders reign.  His attack on Olympus was chaotic his soldiers reports contain 35 different people killing Hercules.  Much of Greece has adopted an antideist stance.  This has been relaxing as a few gods curses are fading or being removed.  Even though it is almost 30 years later, some are still in hiding. 

Artemis is alive in a weakened state mostly hunting left in her portfolio.  Poseidon is alive in a weakened state location unknown.  Hades is alive and apparently quite strong.  Apollo, Ares, Hera, Zeus can be confirmed dead.  Hyperion should be dead from Zeus' rebellion against the Titans.  Helios his son is blind(he's all seeing and would have warned the gods) and Ra the egyptian god drives the sun.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
Are custom masterwork skill enhancers allowed? Specifically for UMD

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
Masterwork Tools, which are a +2 Circumstantial bonus, for every Skill are a part of Core. I think what you mean to ask is if custom magical items, which provide a +1~+30 Competence bonus, are ok. And if you get a no on custom values, Spellsight Spectacles out of the MiC provide a +5 comp bonus for 2.5k.

All through, if you're looking at stock piling a bunch of 1st level Spells for utility. A Drow House Insignia is significantly cheaper than an Eternal Wand at a mere 310gp, plus they are CL5 which is pretty nice. While it notes a few Spells are common, you can pick any you want.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:17:38 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
Well, at least Artemis survives in some form. Ra being the new driver of the Chariot is a surprise. And believe me, I understand the effort behind the determination as Apollo took the job from Hyperion so I was trying to figure out succession if Apollo was dead myself.

And Hades still being strong. Makes sense I suppose. He didn't often go to Olympus so would likely be left out of the assault.

I must take a short time to determine my goals and objectives. (Even if they end up having little to do with plot)
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
Masterwork Tools, which are a +2 Circumstantial bonus, for every Skill are a part of Core. I think what you mean to ask is if custom magical items, which provide a +1~+30 Competence bonus, are ok. And if you get a no on custom values, Spellsight Spectacles out of the MiC provide a +5 comp bonus for 2.5k.

All through, if you're looking at stock piling a bunch of 1st level Spells for utility. A Drow House Insignia is significantly cheaper than an Eternal Wand at a mere 310gp, plus they are CL5 which is pretty nice. While it notes a few Spells are common, you can pick any you want.

That's what I meant. Shouldn't be trying to post on my break at work.

Thanks for pointing out the insignia too, had forgotten about them.

Any word on hephaestus? I haven't looked at the mechanics, but it world be fun to have an intelligent magic hammer forged by him. Maybe a custom item of legacy or item familiar. If nothing else, trying to find an item of his could be a hook for the character.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 04:12:41 PM »
A Drow House Insignia is significantly cheaper than an Eternal Wand at a mere 310gp, plus they are CL5 which is pretty nice. While it notes a few Spells are common, you can pick any you want.

I usually try to grab at least one for any character I make that I can get away with it. Grab Primal Instinct as a 2nd level Ranger spell and have fun with a cheap +5 competence bonus to Initiative that lasts 24 hours, or whatever else seems like a good once/day spell to have in reserve.

As for my character, I'm currently looking into Psion//Factotum for some good Int synergy, though considered Archivist for the same reason. Not sure if Factotum is the right choice, but it feels like it fits the Philosopher theme I'm going for. All skills and many other practical abilities are just a short ponder away, utilizing a bit of philosophical Inspiration. Might see about dipping into Chameleon later on as well to push the jack of all trades aspect and net that fun floating feat.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »
Psion/factotum is great, I've ran a couple and had a lot of fun. You can do pretty much anything you want, at least for a little while. My made great improv characters. Seamed like anything we came across, they had a solution. Never the perfect stilton, or the easiest, but they could muddle their way through anything give time and a little thought. I remember coming across a dragon way above our ELC that should have been a straight diplomacy situation. Came down to it that the party dwarf had sworn an oath to kill every dragon he came across and wouldn't let it go. The DM warned us that it would likely kill all of us easily. the player of the dwarf insisted that we kill it. Tried to talk him down, and he wouldn't give it up. He session was about over, so the Dm said we would have to hold off on the fight until next time. Afterwords, she then pulled me aside and asked if I thought that the party had any chance in hell if she didn't fudge things. The dragon was an old black dragon (CR 16) the party was I think El 5- or six. I told her that if she didn't mind me getting a little stupid, that we could. One psionic minor creation, a few craft checks and a 5 gallon bucket of d20s later and we had a dead black dragon on our hands. Granted it was covered in black lotus extract and no one could go anywhere near it's treasure without poisoning our selves, but the dwarf was happy, and the Dm was awestruck. One of my favorite gaming sessions I remember.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Minor edit, the Drow Insignia is 620gp for 1st level, 310gp is the crafting price.

Here is a table on it.
XPotionDrowSchemaEternalScrollWandStaff*Rune**
0:---------460 (230)12.5--- (---)--- (---)---
1:50620400820 (410)25750 (15)187.5 (3.75)100
2:3003,3002,4004,420 (2,210)1504,500 (90)1,125 (22.5)400
3:7508,2006,00010,900 (5,450)37511,250 (225)2,812.5 (56.25)900
Type:Manipulation   Command   Spell Completion   Command   Spell Completion   Spell Trigger   Spell Trigger   As Spell Used   
* Assuming tertiary spell which has a 50% discount on final cost.
**Assuming 1/day limit, remember you must also supple an equal level spell slot.

Persisting (if you have the feat)
Minor Schema of the Metamagic Item Infusion: 6,400gp, works on any Spell Trigger item.
Metamagic Wand Grip: 6,000gp, 3/day works on any Wand and consumes an extra six charges when used.
For example to Persist Blink using Metamagic Wand Grip it costs 3,575gp, 2,000 for one use of the glove and 1,575 for seven charges, per 24 hours. However the total access fee is 17,250gp and it only works for seven days before the charges run out.

Drow Insignia cost a hair more than Schemas but they don't have a required UMD check.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:22:21 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
For spells that only need to be cast once a day (like magecraft) drow house insignias seem to be the better way to go. And, unless I'm mistaken, I can create it as a Warforged component and thus it can't be lost out or stolen easily.

Question: am I allowed to buy otters items as Warforged components before the game starts, or should I wait and make them myself?

My current plan is to set aside some of my wealth as "raw materials" and let my dedicated wright work in my enveloping pit every day. Use a few minutes each morning to get him set up and then continue about on my day.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:34:58 PM by geniussavant »