Author Topic: Anyone know what happened?  (Read 8563 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know what happened?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »

Don't forget Ruleofcool.com has kindly offered us sanctuary when the boards are exploding.

Speaking of, I randomly found this ~smiley :   
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »
none at the moment, iv been to broke af...

hopefully soon.

Any further information on this one? We're quite literally slowly dying here.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
none at the moment, iv been to broke af...

hopefully soon.

well, im slightly less broke af, but only slightly...

as per the small rants thread, my hands have been full the last couple months....

game plan is still the same... just as soon as i can...
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
To fix things all you have to do is access the admin panel and turn off email registration required or fix the mail bot. But the owners couldn't give a crap about the site, no log-ins, no activity, no additional sub-forums to discuss their made-up games they are trying to sell online, and every time there is a problem people try to grab Meg's attention on Twitter and nothing works.

Presumably the only reason this thing is even online to begin with is because the host wants the full payment up front so we're coasting off the initial donations but no one has any idea when they will end and obviously we won't get any warning when renewal comes up and become subsequently dropped.

I can only hope someone did a crawlbot of the site, or is malicious enough to access the database, so we can all run off under a new owner whom when they decide they want to step back isn't a dick enough not to hand someone else the ability to correctly run the site.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
I hope to be in possession of 'extra money' in two or three weeks. that way i can secure the hosting... beyond that   :rolleyes

that is of course based on my shit not getting more complex.

jr just sprung 'latin convention' on me last week... #WhatANerd   :P

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
I hope to be in possession of 'extra money' in two or three weeks. that way i can secure the hosting... beyond that   :rolleyes
I'm guessing tax refund? It really isn't much to host a site these days, a three year contract with the current host, including domain name fees through them and their current coupon, comes out to $427.62 or just over 11/month which is less than people pay for Hulu's hosting of free media.

The problem is extensively the database. None of the users will want to sign up or move resources as long as they don't have to. With google cache the most accessed resources will remain available for weeks and sites like waybackmachine will archive for even longer. So there is no need to do anything, yet. And that's also kind of the cancerous problem, the longer the site limps along the more time each of us will have to become disinterested so when it does finally go the less people there will be when it does happen. You get to watch the decay of life as it inevitably unfolds :)

And to think, to change everything it only takes one person to type out about twenty characters and they know it.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
It really isn't much to host a site these days, a three year contract with the current host, including domain name fees through them and their current coupon, comes out to $427.62 or just over 11/month which is less than people pay for Hulu's hosting of free media.

Already offered on this score - I've got a number of websites hosted under an account of mine, so while this would be the largest, wouldn't be a problem to add one more. Plus, I have a vested interest in keeping the hundreds of thousands of words of my content from disappearing into the aether :P

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
  • Keepin' bitches in line since 2009
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
To fix things all you have to do is access the admin panel and turn off email registration required or fix the mail bot. But the owners couldn't give a crap about the site, no log-ins, no activity, no additional sub-forums to discuss their made-up games they are trying to sell online, and every time there is a problem people try to grab Meg's attention on Twitter and nothing works.

Presumably the only reason this thing is even online to begin with is because the host wants the full payment up front so we're coasting off the initial donations but no one has any idea when they will end and obviously we won't get any warning when renewal comes up and become subsequently dropped.

I can only hope someone did a crawlbot of the site, or is malicious enough to access the database, so we can all run off under a new owner whom when they decide they want to step back isn't a dick enough not to hand someone else the ability to correctly run the site.

Hey, you know what-- you're welcome for paying for this site for you to use. You're welcome for building it in the first place. You're welcome for putting in a ton of effort over the years for keeping it running.

And here, let me run through what I got in return:

-- people demanding things of me on twitter. (Yeah, guess what, I ignore that. Come with solutions. I don't have time for someone else's problems).

-- a letter mailed to my HOUSE-- someone found me in real life and where I lived? So not cool guys.

-- Um, yeah... nothing.

I don't want to be here. I don't play D&D. I've never had a single dime from anyone to pay for these boards. Ever. What donations??

And made up games? Dude, I was in Oprah magazine.

So not the way to get help.  :clap
I NEED YOUR HELP!

Back my game, please! And then tell 10 other people to back it. Finishes September 3rd!

PACK the PACK Kickstarter is LIVE!

Wanna chat? www.twitter.com/bg_meg

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
  • Keepin' bitches in line since 2009
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
It really isn't much to host a site these days, a three year contract with the current host, including domain name fees through them and their current coupon, comes out to $427.62 or just over 11/month which is less than people pay for Hulu's hosting of free media.

Already offered on this score - I've got a number of websites hosted under an account of mine, so while this would be the largest, wouldn't be a problem to add one more. Plus, I have a vested interest in keeping the hundreds of thousands of words of my content from disappearing into the aether :P

Go through the plan. It has to:

-- require pretty much zero effort on my part

-- take assholes like that guy up there with you.

I posted on the metaboard. You all figure out the solution. Email it to me.
I NEED YOUR HELP!

Back my game, please! And then tell 10 other people to back it. Finishes September 3rd!

PACK the PACK Kickstarter is LIVE!

Wanna chat? www.twitter.com/bg_meg

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
nipe, putting in tons of hours at work (72 this week)

I'm guessing tax refund? It really isn't much to host a site these days, a three year contract with the current host, including domain name fees through them and their current coupon, comes out to $427.62 or just over 11/month which is less than people pay for Hulu's hosting of free media.

The problem is extensively the database. None of the users will want to sign up or move resources as long as they don't have to. With google cache the most accessed resources will remain available for weeks and sites like waybackmachine will archive for even longer. So there is no need to do anything, yet. And that's also kind of the cancerous problem, the longer the site limps along the more time each of us will have to become disinterested so when it does finally go the less people there will be when it does happen. You get to watch the decay of life as it inevitably unfolds :)

And to think, to change everything it only takes one person to type out about twenty characters and they know it.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »
Thank you Meg

Hey, you know what-- you're welcome for paying for this site for you to use. You're welcome for building it in the first place. You're welcome for putting in a ton of effort over the years for keeping it running.

And here, let me run through what I got in return:

-- people demanding things of me on twitter. (Yeah, guess what, I ignore that. Come with solutions. I don't have time for someone else's problems).

-- a letter mailed to my HOUSE-- someone found me in real life and where I lived? So not cool guys.

-- Um, yeah... nothing.

I don't want to be here. I don't play D&D. I've never had a single dime from anyone to pay for these boards. Ever. What donations??

And made up games? Dude, I was in Oprah magazine.

So not the way to get help.  :clap

Anim-manga still sux.