Author Topic: [PoC] Power of Cybernetics General Discussion Thread  (Read 56614 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: [PoC] Power of Cybernetics General Discussion Thread
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:52 AM »
Looking a lot better than my originals (clunky wording in mine, you know?)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline condochimp

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
I'm thinking of writing up a set of (basic) rules for Trap Modules.

Essentially, you give them basic trap statistics... but you use Modules with preset amounts of energy in them to model how they work.

So, for example, you could have an "arrow" trap which uses Advanced Targeting "activated" in its virtual Visor socket.

I would probably give it an Energy Emitter socket and a Visor socket.

Then, there can be rules for you to "jack in" to an area's defense network, and then mess around with the traps; move around Energy, unsocket some modules, change their instructions, etc, etc.

Hm... The way I'm seeing this, is that you use Craft (Trapmaking) and some type of Craft (Cybernetics) thing to make a Cybertrap-thing, which has an Energy Emitter socket and one socket of your highest accessible level/two of the one lower or something? Then you carry it around and integrate it with an an area's network type-thing. Then you do the "jack-in" type thing with a full-round action, and do the "move around Energy, unsocket some modules, change their instructions, etc, etc." thing. That sound OK? uvu

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
That sounds like an idea.

Set the emitter damage to scale as part of the craft check, and Bob's your uncle!

I'll drop some rules in later.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline condochimp

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »
Alright, after quite a while, I actually got around to making the Princely Detective. I'll be making more Modules later, for now, I kind of have to get some rest, because I started this ordeal nine hours ago and only took a few breaks. quq

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
I like what I'm seeing so far. Let me know when it's ready for critiquing and editing.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 05:00:17 PM »
Changes since May 26. Some of these are already up, the rest I'll be posting some time today.

Cybernetics and Activating
- Fire-based module effects now have rules for functioning underwater. Previously, as supernatural abilities, they simply did not work.
- Energy capacity at level 30+ now follows the same formula as below level 30.

Cyberneticist
- Integrated Module Focus changed to Attached Module Focus.

Energy Warrior
- Now has martial weapon proficiency.
- Energy Beam ability revamped.

Modules
- New modules: Eternal Engine, Fire Field, Lightning Rod, Psychosynthesis, Spell Breaker
- Completed modules: Arcanosynthesis, Nightmare Ward, Nova Beam, Rezbit Controller, Scrambler, Terranean Resonator, Uttercold Core
- Armor Class is now properly capitalized in module descriptions.
- Saving Throw lines in module descriptions should be more accurate now.
- Several minor typos fixed.
- Biofeedback (hands) rewritten.
- Chrono Beam grants a competence bonus to initiative instead of insight. Damage bonus from energy allocation increased.
- Dark Beam's base and energy effects rewritten.
- Disruption Crescent (visor) ability to bypass or negate critical immunity increased from 25% to 50%.
- Energy Weapon is now WIP.
- Exploration Kit now has the Equipment descriptor.
- G-Lifter now has the Equipment descriptor and is a Dreadnought module.
- Hammer Beam (energy emitter) now affects objects.
- Impulse Soles now has the Equipment descriptor.
- Kinetic Accelerator (arms) now affects objects.
- Light Beam's base effect rewritten.
- Missile Launcher now has the Equipment descriptor.
- Plasma Beam now allows you to set yourself on fire as a free action instead of a standard action.
- Quake Stompers now has the Equipment descriptor.
- Universal Translator is now WIP.

Feats
- Added the Heavy Energy Beam feat.
- Added Amechra's Technological Aesthetic, Temporary Craftsmanship, Effortless Invention, and Pocket Industry feats.

Spells and Other Magic Systems
- Added the following new spells: Phantom HUD, Touchless Screen, Virtual Desktop
- Added the following new spells, based on spells and powers from D20 Modern's Urban Arcana sourcebook: Burglar's Buddy, Dataread, Degauss, Magic ID, Power Device, Recharge, Relay Text
- Added the following new powers: Networking, Psychic Interface
- Added the following new powers, based on spells and powers from D20 Modern's Urban Arcana sourcebook: Call Ammunition, White Noise
- Added the Cybernetics mantle.

Races
- Urtraghusian Space Pirates renamed to Urtragian Space Pirates.

Equipment and Items
- Increased nanorifle base damage from 1d10 to 1d12.
- Increased pulse cannon base damage from 1d6 to 1d8.
- Armor weights and costs are now complete.
- Added Light Combat Armor.
- Added rules for magical properties created as cybernetic properties.
- Internal Biosensor armor gadget now requires an onboard computer.
- Added Tempest Hardened miscellaneous gadget.

Creatures and Monsters
- Observer wireless communication range increased from 100 feet to 1 mile.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:25:56 PM by Garryl »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
Nice changelog!

I look forward to seeing exactly what's going to happen with Energy Beam.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
You can see it right now. Everything except the latest module changes are up.

Edit: Made a minor change to the wording of Energy Beam just to clarify how it works with Weapon Finesse.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:17:59 PM by Garryl »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
It wasn't changed when I looked before making that post.   :P

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 06:32:36 PM »
Of course it wasn't. I only put it up just now when I read you wanted to see it. Why would I ever do anything before two minutes after the last minute? :)

Speaking of which, modules are up. That takes care of everything except the module lists themselves. I'm rewriting my program that generates them so it'll give a little better information and so it can ignore the (WIP) modules.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »
Do tell about this program of yours?

Seriously, something that generates formatted bbcode that I wouldn't have to write would be lovely.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »

Seriously, something that generates formatted bbcode that I wouldn't have to write would be lovely.

Yeah, that actually sounds pretty cool.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
For the Universal Translator, maybe have a hands attachment that allows translating and "speaking" signed languages.

Alternately, having some sort of boost to identify a spell based on its somatic and/or verbal components might be nice, and grant a save bonus against correctly-identified spells.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »

Yeah, that actually sounds pretty cool.

It's just a simple parsing program that reads the (already-formatted-for-BBCode) module listings, parses out the different parts, and spits out some statistics and class module lists in that table you see at the beginning of the modules thread. Because I'm careful to keep everything consistently-formatted, the parsing is pretty easy and it can look for key words and lines, like which classes, descriptors, and sockets each module has listed. It's not a miracle cure for table-making or anything, it just does this one thing I designed it for.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
I'm trying to work out some sort of metamagic-type effect for modules. I have two main ideas.

1) Metasockets. Spend a feat to get a metasocket (and a single free attachment to it, like with the Access Socket feats). Any modules attached to a metasocket gains a benefit, but has a lower energy capacity. Since it's already attached to a socket, you also can't attach the module to another socket. Only modules can be attached to metasockets. Different metasockets provide different benefits at the cost of different amounts of energy capacity.
(click to show/hide)

2) Metaenergy. Spend a feat to get a point of metaenergy. In addition to functioning as normal energy, any module with metaenergy allocated to it gains a benefit, but has a lower energy capacity (if this drops the energy capacity to 0, you obviously can't allocate the metaenergy to it since the reduced energy capacity would boot the metaenergy out). Different types of metaenergy provide different benefits. Metaenergy can only be allocated to modules.
(click to show/hide)

Metaenergy is obviously a more player-friendly option, given that it has a bonus as a side effect (+1 energy) instead of a penalty (module can't be attached to any other socket). Metaenergy is also easier to combine, given that you can just allocate multiple types of metaenergy to a single module (assuming your energy capacity is high enough). It's more fluid because you can reallocate on the fly, as opposed to deciding when you refresh your energy to make socket attachments. Finally, it's easier to make it expandable; each time you take the feat, you can just gain 1 more point of the metaenergy. I don't know if this makes it better or just trickier to balance. Or maybe I need a middle ground. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:01:40 PM by Garryl »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
I'm not sure which way would be better to go.

Offline condochimp

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
OK, in regards to the Meta-cybernetics Feats, I'd prefer a sort of middle ground. Also, about the Princely Detective, I made some modifications and clarifications and formatting fixes, so she SHOULD be ready for critique now. Give it your most intense critique, she'll need it!

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »
OK, in regards to the Meta-cybernetics Feats, I'd prefer a sort of middle ground.

Me too. Any ideas? I could do it like the Improved Energy Capacity feat (just pick a module when you refresh your energy). That would probably be the easiest and clearest way to do it.

Also, about the Princely Detective, I made some modifications and clarifications and formatting fixes, so she SHOULD be ready for critique now. Give it your most intense critique, she'll need it!

I'm not going to cover minor typos and wording that is inconsistent with other PoC classes and terms. That can be dealt with later when things are more firm.

I'm looking through it. The first thing that jumps out at me is the energy pool. It's way too large at the lower levels. As a general rule, you want the energy pool to be around 50% of the total energy capacity of your modules and other class-granted energy receptacles, and probably never more than about 75% of capacity. Otherwise, you remove one of the major mechanics, allocating your limited energy pool. On top of that, too much energy (or modules, but that's fine in this case) at levels 1-3 makes the class too good as a dip class for other cybernetic classes. I'd recommend dropping the energy pool to somewhere between the Energy Warrior and the Cyberneticist. I'd also recommend altering the module progression to be the same as the Energy Warrior, just for consistency (at present, it appears to be almost exactly the same, but delayed 2 levels).
(And I'm assuming that it's supposed to be 11 energy at level 7, not 41? Also probably supposed to be 4 modules, not 5.)

Try to fill those dead levels (1st, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, and 17th) with some class features. In particular, make sure you have something (or a pair of minor somethings) at 1st level. Maybe something to do with Wisdom, as it's otherwise used only for Countershield HP and initiative (for which you have to wait until level 14). While Wisdom may be useful later on, you do not, at present, have any strong reason to want it until later levels. Given the skillful nature of the class, I could also recommend granting Trapfinding, Track, and/or Urban Tracking.

As detectives, I'm surprised the skill list doesn't have more information-gathering skills (Intimidate, Gather Information, Sense Motive, Search, Knowledge (local), Knowledge skills in general, etc.). I could also see adding Open Lock and Disable Device to the list, especially given the trap-based class features. I'm especially surprised that Knowledge (architecture and engineering) isn't on the list given that Cybertraps specifically asks for that skill check.

Why no proficiency with any melee weapons? I'd expect at least simple weapons. Everyone but the Monk, Wizard, and Druid gets the full gamut of them.

I'm having trouble understanding how Cybertraps work, exactly. Could you explain it to me, and maybe we can work on some clearer wording? Also note that the Energy Warrior's Energy Beam ability was changed significantly in the most recent update, so you may need to alter how Cybertraps use that.

With the Assistance socket, do allies gain the benefit of energy you have allocated to the module, or do they need to allocate their own energy. Can they even allocate their own energy?

Countershield needs a duration. Its action is supposed to be a full-round action, correct?
   The ability sounds more like a supernatural ability than an extraordinary one (if you change it, don't forget to explicitly state that it's still affected by damage reduction despite being supernatural).
   "Close" range will need to be defined here since caster level doesn't exist for extraordinary abilities. Personally, I'd leave it as a fixed radius (say, 15 or 30 feet), possibly increasing through class features at later levels.
   The defensive aspect of the Countershield seems minimal. It's roughly equal to 1 hp/level + 2x Wis mod. While that might be significant at lower levels where it can absorb one or two hits, it lacks the scaling to keep up at higher levels. Maybe add your Wisdom modifier once again to the shield's hp every 4 or 5 levels beyond 3rd? On a related note, I'd also suggest changing the formula to level + 2x Wis mod (if positive) instead of level + Wis score - 10. It'll make it easier to calculate, not having to work with both addition and subtraction, and working with ability modifiers that are already used by all sorts of other abilities instead of raw ability scores.

Further Assistance seems like it scales up to a mildly excessive number of modules. I'd recommend only 3 modules by level 20, possibly 4. Either way, I'd suggest spreading them out a bit more evenly across the class levels (say, 1 module at 2nd, then 2 at 10th and 3 at 18th, or if you go with a total of 4 modules then add them at 2nd, 8th, 14th, and 20th, maybe).

Do you want me to look at the modules yet?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
I have an idea for a PrC that makes Energy Overchanneling super-amazing-awesome.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Garryl, how finished would you say that the three base classes are?