Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180164 times)

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #740 on: February 16, 2022, 04:33:57 AM »
I've had to talk three people down from suicide in the past two weeks, all of whom I love to death and would be absolutely devastated if they hurt themselves.  While watching the woman I'm still hopelessly in love with go into a death spiral and all I can do in my current position is watch it all unfold.  2022 needs to chill the fuck out, already  :shakefist

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 13, 2022, 04:35:17 AM »
As of monday, I'm going to be permanently banned from working for Sony. They have a 0-tolerance policy for not showing up to the first day of a temp contract, regardless of extenuating circumstances. My license renewal paperwork got fucked up and I can't redo it in time to not drive with an expired license, and cops REGULARLY stop and question me so I NEED a valid license to not get ticketed/towed as soon as I roll into town.

Edit: I got a ride from someone for day 1, and it turns out they overbooked so they sent me home with $170. SAFE.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 03:28:51 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 09, 2023, 10:23:12 PM »
I just received a video file to edit. There is so much wrong I...I just... :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

First off, it's 1/4 of the expected duration. The duration wasn't specified in the contract, but reference videos were supplied to know what was expected.

The video is in PORTRAIT VIEW. I'm supposed to be doing edits to the side frames and making the camera "track" the person in-frame, but as soon as they moved 6 inches to the left they are already pushing up against the side frame. Again, it wasn't specified in the agreement that it needed to be in landscape, but who the fuck films shots that have horizontal movement in STATIC TRIPOD PORTRAIT?!  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

The audio is completely fucked. It's recorded on an old phone, no lav mic, no secondary source at all. On one hand, I was going to be distorting the audio anyway. On the other hand, DOING THAT RIGHT WITHOUT A CLEAN RECORDING IS A NIGHTMARE  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

And for the final  :fu , It was uploaded as a vertical video in widescreen format, meaning it went from 1080x1920 vertical to 1920x1080 horizontal with giant black bars, effectively ruining ANY benefit there was from being portrait mode in the first place.

They met the strict requirements of the request from the "what do we want them to do" angle, but since none of the technical requirements were explicitly spelled out (due to, you know, them being a person who films stuff regularly), it's almost unusable. They are no longer on location or even working with the same co-hosts at this point, so a reshoot is no good even if there was budget for it (there isn't).

Of course, the contract still puts delivering a high quality edit on us. Fuck my life. I'm gonna do the best I can, then provide a document enumerating exactly what technical limitations prevented doing the "right" edits. (Can't track the shot to the left when there IS no left)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:25:13 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 27, 2023, 02:23:24 PM »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 02, 2023, 05:06:04 PM »
I got so bored that I logged back into here  :lmao

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 03, 2023, 03:59:32 PM »

Good to see you!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 03, 2023, 11:51:32 PM »

Your first post in almost three years, that's pretty bored!

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 29, 2023, 07:30:28 AM »
so back on the 15th of this month my mom passed away, and we need some help with the cremation cost https://www.gofundme.com/f/becky-taute?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

then last friday i got into a car accident, I'm okay but my car is out of commission.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 29, 2023, 08:03:31 PM »
Ill help if I got anything left of my check, work just fucked me.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #750 on: August 30, 2023, 07:11:14 PM »
so back on the 15th of this month my mom passed away, and we need some help with the cremation cost https://www.gofundme.com/f/becky-taute?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet-first-launch&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

then last friday i got into a car accident, I'm okay but my car is out of commission.

Sorry
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 13, 2024, 06:50:59 PM »
so,we got the burial taken care of all that, I've had to move twice. The frist move was into a temp place was that was supposed to have lasted a month but instead ending up being three months. It was a converted shed, the place I'm finally in is an actual apartment, so thats awesome. I'm still looking for a car.