Author Topic: I need a short wild magic table for 3.5!  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
I need a short wild magic table for 3.5!
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »
Hello everyone.
In my next 3.5e DM evening one of my players will find a spellbook, but there is a catch. Its so old that he would have to study each spell before he can use them without problems. Alternatively he could go to a teacher who might show him everything within a couple of days.

If he doesnt, he can still use the spells, but it works like wild magic.
I know the Dnd 5e wildmagic table, which is a bit too long for my taste, but I dont know of anything alike in 3.5e except for some homebrew and those are too long as well.

And so I would like to make a really short list, that you can do with one dice roll and without having a giant paper at you.
A d12 for example, where 1 is the worst and 12 the best result. There might be a middle for "normal" although that doesnt have to be at 5 or 6.

Could look like this: On a D12

1. Full Backfire as if cast on yourself/position instead
2. The spell failed
3. Partial backfire: You take half of the dmg instead
4. Partial failure: dmg halfed, spells without dmg half duration
5. Target blurred for 1 round
6. Normal spell with loud noises and lights
7. Nomal spell
8. Caster blurred for 1 round
9. DC+1/+2vsSR
10. Spell slot not used up
11. Opponent fails its SV
12. Empowered or extended if no dmg

I could go to a D20 and add more "normal spell but this happens as well" to it. 1-5 bad effect, 6-10 normal with bad side effect, 11-15 normal with slightly good effect, 16-20 good effect

Open for ideas. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:49:17 AM by Dwarfi »

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: I need a short wild magic table for 3.5!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
FRCS p 55 has a d100 table with 8 possibilities for wild magic...

In 3.5, the 'wild surge' table is the rod of wonder's list. See Complete Arcane for the Wild Mage, including Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

The old 2ed wild surge table was in the Tome of Magic and had 100 results for a wild surge, which itself was always a 1/20 chance (different per wild mage level)
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
Ive seen the rod. If I use that I would make a 1st dice roll when the player wants to cast one of the spells from that spellbook to see if something happens.
Could be a 25% or higher chance, not sure on that.

And then roll to see what happens in case of a surge. Instead of something based on the spell he casted (like in my list above) the rod effect would completely replace it.
Works too I guess.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
I'd do something like...

Overall Wild Surge Effect (3d6):
3-6: No, and...
7-8: No.
9-10: No, but...
11-12: Yes, but...
13-14: Yes.
15-18: Yes, and...

No, and...
The spell works backwards if that would hurt you / your allies. Otherwise, the spell fails and something else bad happens to you / your allies, and the bad thing is a spell of an equal level to the spell you cast.

No.
The spell fails in a way that wastes your action but doesn't particularly hurt you / your allies.

No, but...
The spell fails, but something mildly beneficial happens (to you / your allies). The effect is a spell two levels lower than the spell you cast.

Yes, but...
The spell works, but also something bad happens (to you / your allies). The effect is a spell two levels lower than the spell you cast.

Yes.
The spell works, but something about it is random: perhaps the energy type changes, or it has a different rider condition, or the duration is randomly determined, or the material produced is unusual. Think of this as a version of the spell that could be researched (and would be balanced for the level).

Yes, and...
The spell works, and something about it is better than normal (by a random amount): for example, maybe it inflicts more damage than usual (of a random type), or maybe it summons an few small Elementals of the energy type to serve you for 1 minute.