Author Topic: Exotic Weapon Critique  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Exotic Weapon Critique
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »
I need to know if the following exotic weapon I have created is overpowered:

Serrated Rapier: One-Handed: 1d4 piercing, 18-20/x2 crit; May apply Weapon Finesse to this weapon, +2 to Bluff checks made to Feint, +2 to confirm critical hits against flat-footed opponents, your crit range against flat-footed opponents is increased by 1 after any modifiers (vs flat-footed targets, a mundane Serrated Rapier's crit range would become 17-20/x2, a Keen Serrated Rapier would have a crit range of 14-20/x2). You may not use a Serrated Rapier in two hands to apply 1-1/2 times strength bonus to damage.

If the crit range boost is a bit much, I much just further boost the crit confirmation.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Weapon Critique
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
I'd certainly allow it - it's not materially more powerful than a normal rapier except against flat-footed opponents, and taking advantage of that requires being able to consistently flatfoot opponents and then overcome whatever anti-critical defences they might have. In the hands of someone COing a build around just that, it's probably breakable, but so's damn near anything else.

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:52:41 PM »
I'd certainly allow it - it's not materially more powerful than a normal rapier except against flat-footed opponents, and taking advantage of that requires being able to consistently flatfoot opponents and then overcome whatever anti-critical defences they might have. In the hands of someone COing a build around just that, it's probably breakable, but so's damn near anything else.

I have an idea to make it further balanced just in case; how does making it so the crit range bonus can only be triggered once per round, or only following an attack after a successful Feint attempt or being caught flat-footed by a hidden opponent?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:56:25 PM by Darbius Maximus »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
Leave it as is.  It's plenty balanced and interesting, and it's worth being called an exotic weapon.  In fact, I'd say it should be 1d6 base damage like the regular rapier.  Have it also qualify as a rapier for all effects and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:17:28 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »
Leave it as is.  It's plenty balanced and interesting, and it's worth being called an exotic weapon.

Thank you. I may post others here in a bit.

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
Question: Would a reasonably weighted set of baldes on the end of a chain be worthy of an 18-20/2 crit range or just 19-20/x2?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »
It's up to the weapon designer to make sure they're reasonably balanced with the other weapons that D&D has to offer. As long as the new weapon is, almost anything can be justified mechanically.