Author Topic: [3.5 Prestige] The Arch-Warlock  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[3.5 Prestige] The Arch-Warlock
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:13 AM »
I don't have like a fancy chart for it yet but here is a "Arch" prestige class made for the Warlock. I really, really want to maybe collab with someone and find out how to modify this so it can function with other invocation using classes.

Lore: Some Warlocks merely wish to master the powers granted by their fiendish heritage, few dare to reinvent what their power truly is.

Prerequisites:
Skills: Knowledge Arcana 15, Spellcraft 15.
Feats: Must know two feats that modify Spell-Like abilities (IE: Empower Spell-Like Ability, Quicken Spell-Like Ability)
Invocations: Must know 8 Invocations including 3 Eldritch Essence Invocations.

Levels: 5.

Hit Dice: d4.

Base Attack Bonus Advancement: Poor.

Saving throws: Fortitude: Bad. Reflex: Bad. Will: Good.

Skills: As the Warlock skill list.

Class Features:

Invoking: For the sake of Invocations known as well as all other class features except Damage Reduction and Energy Resistance, every time you take a a level of Arch-Warlock,  you advance as if you had taken a level in Warlock.

Blast Force Exertion: In addition to your standard Eldritch Blast advancement, at levels one, 3, and five you deal an extra 1d6 damage with your Eldritch Blast this means a 15th level Warlock 5th level Arch-Warlock deals 12d6 damage with their Eldritch Blast.

High Invoking: Every time an Arch-Warlock gains a level they must choose a High-Invocation. These are special abilities that show how a Warlock has learned to push or even break the limits of their inborn abilities. Every time you select an option you must follow its corresponding rules for gaining said option or other effects incurred. You may apply the effects of multiple High-Invocation options to a single Invocation if applicable, however the duration between usages of an Invocation effected by multiple High-Invocations, if incurred, stack.

High-Invocations:

Quasi-Invocation: Lose one Invocation known. Select an Invocation known of your choice with the same Grade (excluding Eldritch Blast or Eldritch Essence Invocations). You may cast that Invocation as a Supernatural Ability, however you must wait 5 rounds to use the selected Invocation again if used as a Supernatural Ability.

Invocated Spell: Lose one Invocation known. You may select a spell from any spell list or a Shadowcaster Mystery with a level equal to your Arch-Warlock level minus 1, the level must be within the equivalent Grade of the Invocation you gave up (A least invocation has a level equivalent of 1st or 2nd; a lesser, 3rd or 4th); that spell becomes an Invocation, with one-half your effective Warlock level functioning as your caster level for all effects except for your effective caster level when a character attempts to dispel the effects of this Invocation. The Invocation's grade corresponds to the original level of the spell (See above for Grade to Spell Level equivalency). You must wait a number of rounds equal to the Invocation's original spell level minus one before it can be used again; For Example: an Arch-Warlock who learns Magic Missile this way may cast it every turn, however if they learn Cure Serious Wounds, upon casting it they must wait 3 turns before they may cast it again. You may not take this High Invoking option as your first High Invoking Selection

Decisive Invocation Shaping: Lose one Invocation known. You may elect to not effect Allies and up to a number of targets equal to your Charisma modifier that are in the area of effect of an Invocation including Eldritch Blast when under the effects of Eldritch Essence Invocations.

Overwhelming Invoking: Lose one Invocation Known. The save DC for your Invocations increase by 1. You may only choose this option 3 times.

Cross-Essence Invoking: Lose 1 Invocation known. Select one Eldritch Essence Invocation you know;  you may apply this Eldritch Essence Invocation to any Invocation you known as if the effected Invocation were an Edritch Blast. For Example: An Arch-Warlock who takes this option could choose Beshadowed Blast and apply it to the Invocation Chilling Tentacles. An Invocation modified in this way can not be used again for 5 turns.

Cross-Source Invoking: You may replace a Warlock Invocation known with a Dragonfire Adept Invocation of the same equivalent Spell level.

Desperate Invoking: Lose one Invocation known. A number of times per day equal to your Arch-Warlock level, you may use an Invocation from the Warlock or Dragonfire Adept list of your maximum available Grade -1 that you do not already know. This option may only be taken once. You may not use Blast Shape Invocations you do not know through this ability.

Infernal Capacity: You gain an additional Invocation known up to the maximum Grade of Invocation you have available -1.

Expanded Resistance: You gain Energy Resistance 5 to an Energy damage type of your choosing. In addition to the normal energy types listed, you may also choose to apply this effect to Vile damage.

Choices specifically for Eldritch Blast:

Adapted Blast: Lose one Invocation known; Select any one Blast Shape Evocation from the Warlock Invocation list up to your level, you permanently treat your Eldritch Blast as if it were under the effects of the Blast Shape Invocation you selected. If this option is chosen multiple times, you may select which Blast Shape Invocation you are applying to your Edlritch Blast as a free action when using Eldritch Blast, the Blast Shapes do not stack. A Blast Shape Invocation applied to your Eldritch Blast normally does stack with this effect.

Quasi-Eldritch Blast: You may treat your Eldritch Blast as a Supernatural Ability, however it deals d4's instead of d6's, however you must wait until after your next turn to use your Eldritch Blast again.

Vile Blast: You must be Evil- Aligned to select this ability; you may have your Eldritch Blast deal Vile damage, however you must wait until after your next turn to use your Eldritch Blast again.

Exalted Blast: You must be Good-Aligned to select this ability; you may use your Eldritch Blast as a direct conduit for celestial power; an Evil-Aligned being who takes damage from an Exalted Blast can only be healed by magic cast within the area of a Desecrate or Unhallow spell. If you use this ability, you must wait until after your next turn to use your Eldritch Blast again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:58:45 AM by Darbius Maximus »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 Prestige] The Arch-Warlock
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »
The way you have your invoking ability laid out could arguably grant warlock class features. If that was the intention, fine I suppose but it kinda makes taking the last 5 levels of warlock completely pointless.

Invocated spell is also asking for trouble. Invocations are (Sp) and as such have no Gold/XP costs. Can't think of many ways to abuse this off the top of my head, especially at levels 15-20 but I am certain there are some.
Cross-Essence Invoking probably needs more clarification.

Not sure about the rest at the moment. Not an expert on warlocks.

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:50:58 AM »
The way you have your invoking ability laid out could arguably grant warlock class features. If that was the intention, fine I suppose but it kinda makes taking the last 5 levels of warlock completely pointless.

Invocated spell is also asking for trouble. Invocations are (Sp) and as such have no Gold/XP costs. Can't think of many ways to abuse this off the top of my head, especially at levels 15-20 but I am certain there are some.
Cross-Essence Invoking probably needs more clarification.

Not sure about the rest at the moment. Not an expert on warlocks.

Goodf point, I'll edit it to bea clearer. Please spread word of this

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:42:41 AM »
Adapted Blast: Lose one Invocation known; Select any one Blast Shape Evocation from the Warlock Invocation list up to your level, you permanently treat your Eldritch Blast as if it were under the effects of the Blast Shape Invocation you selected. If this option is chosen multiple times, you may select which Blast Shape Invocation you are applying to your Edlritch Blast as a free action when using Eldritch Blast, the Blast Shapes do not stack. A Blast Shape Invocation applied to your Eldritch Blast normally does stack with this effect.
Can you explain this one in more detail. I've read it twice and have no idea what it does. From what I see, it does what a normal warlock would already do (apply a Blast Shape invocation to the Eldritch Blast).
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
Can you explain this one in more detail. I've read it twice and have no idea what it does. From what I see, it does what a normal warlock would already do (apply a Blast Shape invocation to the Eldritch Blast).

It allows you to apply two at once. One is permanently applied, and then the player can choose to stick a "normal" (ie, not permanent) one on top of it. At the cost of losing an Invocation Known, obviously.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
Decided to clean up the post so it was easier to read, and tweaked a few of the High Invocation abilities for clarity and relative power level. Hope you find this useful.

Archwarlock

"Two feet firmly on the ground does not make you safe."
- Ywelfa, Elven Archwarlock

Some warlocks merely wish to master the powers granted by their fiendish heritage, few dare to reinvent what their power truly is.

Becoming a Archwarlock
Text

Table 1: Archwarlock
Hit Die: d4

Level  BAB    Ref   Fort  Will  Special Abilities                          Invocations
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1    +0     +0    +0    +2    High Invoking, Eldritch Supremacy +1d6     +1 Warlock Level
  2    +1     +0    +0    +3    High Invoking                              +1 Warlock Level
  3    +1     +1    +1    +3    High Invoking, Eldritch Supremacy +2d6     +1 Warlock Level
  4    +2     +1    +1    +4    High Invoking                              +1 Warlock Level
  5    +2     +1    +1    +4    High Invoking, Eldritch Supremacy +3d6     +1 Warlock Level

Class skills (2 + Int modifier per level):
Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device

Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 15, Spellcraft 15.
Feats: Must know two feats that modify spell-like abilities (ie: Empower Spell-Like Ability, Quicken Spell-Like Ability)
invocations: Must know 8 invocations including 3 Eldritch Essence invocations.

Class Features
Text
  • Invoking: For the sake of invocations known as well as all other class features except Damage Reduction and Energy Resistance, every time you take a a level of Archwarlock,  you advance as if you had taken a level in Warlock.
  • Eldritch Supremacy (Su): In addition to your standard Eldritch Blast advancement, at levels one, three, and five you deal an extra 1d6 damage with your Eldritch Blast. For example, a 15th level Warlock with 5 levels of Archwarlock deals 12d6 damage with their Eldritch Blast.
  • High Invoking: Every time an Archwarlock gains a level, they must choose a High invocation. These are special abilities that show how an Archwarlock has learned to push or even break the limits of their inborn abilities. Every time you select an option you must follow its corresponding rules for gaining said option or other effects incurred. You may apply the effects of multiple High invocation options to a single invocation if desired, however the duration between uses of an invocation effected by multiple High invocations, if incurred, stack.
    • Adapted Blast (Su): Lose one invocation known. Select any one blast shape invocation from the warlock invocation list up to the maximum grade you can currently use. Your eldritch blast becomes permanently affected by the blast shape invocation you have selected. If you choose this option multiple times, you choose which blast shape to apply as a free action (they do not stack). If you choose to apply a blast shape normally to your eldritch blast, it stacks with the permanently applied blast shape.
    • Cross-Essence Invoking (Su): Lose one invocation known. Select one Eldritch Essence invocation you know. You may apply this Eldritch Essence to any invocation you known as if the affected invocation were an Eldritch Blast. An invocation modified in this way can not be used again for five rounds.
    • Decisive Shaping (Su): Lose one invocation known. When casting an area of effect invocation (including a modified Eldritch Blast), you may elect not to affect your allies. In addition, you may choose not to affect a number of targets up to your Charisma modifier.
    • Desperate Invoking (Su): Lose one invocation known. A number of times per day equal to your Archwarlock level, you may use an invocation from the Warlock or Dragonfire Adept list of your maximum available grade minus one that you do not already know. This option may only be taken once. You may not use Blast Shape invocations you do not know through this ability.
    • Exalted Blast (Su): You may choose to have your eldritch blast be a direct conduit for celestial power, in which case, any evil creature who takes damage from your eldritch blast can only be healed by magic cast within the area of a desecrate or unhallow spell. If you do so, you cannot use your eldritch blast for one round. You must be good to select this ability.
    • Expanded Resistance (Su): You gain energy resistance 15 to an energy damage type of your choosing. In addition to the normal energy types, you may choose resistance to vile damage. This resistance stacks with any other resistance you might have.
    • Expanded Sources (Su): You may replace a Warlock invocation known with a Dragonfire Adept invocation of the equivalent invocation grade.
    • Infernal Capacity (Su): You gain an additional invocation known up to the maximum grade of invocation you have available minus one.
    • Invoked Spell (Su): Lose one invocation known. You may select a spell from any spell list or a Shadowcaster mystery with a level equal to or less than your Archwarlock level minus one. The invocation lost must be a least invocation if the spell selected is 1st or 2nd level, or a lesser invocation if the spell selected is 3rd or 4th level. You gain the chosen spell as an invocation of the type lost, with a caster level equal to one half your effective warlock level. You must wait a number of rounds between uses equal to the level of the spell minus one.
    • Overwhelming Invoking (Su): Lose one invocation known. The Save DC for your invocations increase by one. You may only choose this option three times.
    • Supernatural Blast (Su): You may treat your eldritch blast as a supernatural ability. If you do so, it deals d4s of damage instead of d6s.
    • Supernatural Invocation (Su): Lose one invocation known. Select an invocation known of your choice with the same grade (excluding Eldritch Blast or Eldritch Essence invocations). You may now cast the chosen invocation as a supernatural ability, but only once every five rounds if used as a supernatural ability.
    • Vile Blast (Su): You may choose to have your eldritch blast deal vile damage instead of its normal type. If you do so, you cannot use your eldritch blast for one round. You must be evil to select this ability.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 11:37:37 AM by Stratovarius »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »

It allows you to apply two at once. One is permanently applied, and then the player can choose to stick a "normal" (ie, not permanent) one on top of it. At the cost of losing an Invocation Known, obviously.
That's what I was wondering. I wasn't sure if I was misreading that.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 02:06:39 PM »
if i quick read this all right

warlock 12?, AW 5, Legacy Champ 3 (for lvl 20 sake)

thus making AW 8 levels ish.

the the Invocated Spell and you gain a 7th level

(was having a little laugh to myself based on taking Greater Bestow Curse, blasting people with it... the save will be easy, but when it works.. )

edit: still scanning spell lists...

how i overlooked creeping doom idk...

body outside body...

maybe to be continued...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:13:18 PM by altpersona »
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »

(was having a little laugh to myself based on taking Greater Bestow Curse, blasting people with it... the save will be easy, but when it works.. )

body outside body...

maybe to be continued...

Lol I'm just like most WOTC designers, my class gets exploited by other content. I don't know if you can advance a class beyond it's complete level chart even with Legacy Champion but bring it up with your GM.

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:15:52 PM »

body outside body...

maybe to be continued...

Lol I'm just like most WOTC designers, my class gets exploited by other content. I don't know if you can advance a class beyond it's complete level chart even with Legacy Champion but bring it up with your GM.

You can't... but it gets brought up a lot on these boards... Legacy Champ exploitation is something that should be kept to the TO discussions... Plus I'm 99% certain that it can't be used to advance a prC to begin with...

Offline Darbius Maximus

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »
Actually I might need to fix up the Adapted Blast descriptor because it might lead to being able to weird overlapping blast shape quandaries. Switch all mentions of "blast shape" to "Eldirtch Essence Invocation" and the final line to "If you choose to apply an Eldritch Essence Invocation to your adapted blast it cannot be another blast shape if the Adapted Blast was made to permanently be a blast shape. Instances of multiple damage altering blast shapes split their damage between the two damage types as well as incurring both special effects."