Author Topic: Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races  (Read 3674 times)

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats-races

First impressions:

Lots of these feats are generally good.

These feats give spells known that can be abused with bard, ranger, EK, and AT:
-Critter Friend
-Drow High Magic
-Fey Teleportation
-Wood Elf Magic

The Halfling Diviner meme build gets meme-ier with these two feats.  They're decent on any build though:
-Bountiful Luck
-Second Chance

Elven Accuracy is absurdly good on the right builds.  It's essentially three dice on attacks with advantage instead of two.

Flames of Phlegethos gives some support to tieflings over half elves for Draconic sorcerers.  I wonder how it's supposed to interact with Elemental Adept.  Infernal Constitution has some potential to bolster the defenses too.

Squat Nimbleness undoes the penalty for being a midget race and provides a way for dwarves to be great grapplers without rogue or bard levels.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:46:32 PM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
Woodelf Magic looks great. Pass without Trace is one of the better utility spells, lasts a good while, affects large groups, and is a big flat bonus. You might not always need stealth or the ability to hide, but this means that you and your entire party are all of a sudden very good at it, regardless of stats, skills or classes. A free druid cantrip is also good, because there's quite a few nice ones these days. Just a very nice feat overall for what it gives, even with Longstrider being a "meh" spell (except for stupid druid tricks, who have it already). You'll usually only need PwT once per day for non-combat use anyway, and this gives you exactly that, with a free cantrip to boot.

Human Determination seems nice too. Plenty to do with it in lots of builds. Sure, it's only 1/rest, but it's essentially a free actionless non-concentration spell on standby for anything you could possibly need to do, and do right the first time. Great feat. Lucky might be better in some ways (disadvantage into "super advantage", declaring use after the roll and not before it), but this does give you "proper" advantage (not just another die to roll, so it works with Sneak Attacks, etc), and having more advantage on-call is rather tasty no matter what you do with your character.

Flames of Plegithos + UA Lore Master arcane tradition is nice. All the fire, all the time, reroll ones. Of course, mixing that much UA at once may lead to unexpected rocks from ceilings. YMMV.

Gnome's Fade Away is probably abusable somehow, making it better than it seems (it's already rather good). Contested skill checks not breaking your invis, etc. I'll think of something useful and check that it's actually legit. There's also the difference between taking an attack "action", and actually attacking something (there were a few options in last week's skill feats UA, but none are applicable here).

((I know block and tackle doesn't actually work like this, but a lvl8 moon druid could wildshape into a giant eagle and use himself as the attachment point of a rock gnome's Lifter. With the Brawny feat from last week, you're looking at a 5700 pound lift capacity (about 2 1/2 tonnes). So not quit a heavy airlift chinook, but not bad either. Because, screw physics or logic, this is DnD))
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:26:25 PM by sambojin »

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »
I always  think of one of my friends who only wants to hit as hard as possible with a big weapon. So the additional hit dice to melee dmg for half orcs seems pretty strong on a barbarian or fighter.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:12:26 PM »
Barbed Hide = auto-damage, and when your suite of actions are limited.  Tief grapple build anyone?

Bountiful Luck should get 2 or 3 uses per combat, from level 5 on.  Very good.

Dragon Fear = aoe Frighten, is wonderful bfcontrol.

Drow High Magic = early access, perfect for any Mystic Theurge or Mind Mage type build, why I'll just ignore what edition this is for this.

Fey Teleport = Elf'Locks have a smidge more options now.

Half-Orcish Aggression = mom's wild night in college, was only slightly less so.

Wood Elf Magic = I thinking some Clerics would auto-pick this.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »
Life hits harder than a truck...

These feats seem awesome, and give an absurd flexibility for PCs!
Lovely Zoma...

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
Looks like I'm late to the party!

It looks like the Half-Orc Barbarian has gotten some really brutal support.  Orcish Aggression makes them absurdly mobile, and Orcish Fury is just a really solid racial feature upgrade.

Seriously, throw in one of the old weapon feats, and you've got a build on your hands.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »
I don't think Orcish Fury is really worth it because the damage increase is once per short rest and the reaction attack is tied to a once per long rest ability.  Hopefully enough people say that it's underpowered on the survey.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA